HD antennas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
anyone know if high definition antennas really pick up free HD channels, I live about 90 minutes from St. Louis, wondering if it could pick up the fox HD channel for rams games this fall. Fathers day is coming so wife wants to know what I would like..any info would be appreciated.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Depends on so many variables.
But should.
You state minutes not miles. Miles and terrain is all that matters.

I would think any of the inside desktop ones would be out. That has to be too far for them. So you would need a outside antenna on a roof mount or pole like the old days to have a chance at it. Actually the old style antenna work for digital just as well in most cases.

There's websites that have maps of signal strength of stations. You can find where you live and it should give you a fair estimate.
Also some good apps on HD signal to. They will even help you point the antenna exactly. Which is kind of important.

HD is much more of a bitch than the old analog ever was. It doesn't do static. and that can be a huge problem. It's all or nothing
Some unlucky people live 20 miles from a tower and get nothing because a hill overshadows them while a 100 miles farther away a guy on a hill is getting a perfect picture.

Do some research first before buying anything.

I used to have a amateur radio license and built my own my own antennas.

Memphis Ram

Legend
A year or two ago, I purchased an amplified HDTV antenna for $40 only to find out that a cheap $9.99 RCA antenna sitting on top of the TV worked better.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
From Personal Experience and much research i can tell you that indoor desktop antennas can pick up the HD HOWEVER even the strongest indoor antenna has about a 20 mile radius to pick up your signal. Unlike the old analog signals that had a wide array and would taper off before complete degradation of signal the new digital signal once it reaches it make which is finite it just plateaus right off.. Meaning one side of the road can get signal but your neighbor on the other side may not.

If you get one of the large outside mast style digital antenna you should be able to pick it up just fine again though its more of a pain cause you have to have it aimed more accurately then the old analog ones.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I didn't know TV stations still broadcast an over air signal.

I thought everything was digital via cable/fiber or satellite. :confused:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I didn't know TV stations still broadcast an over air signal.

I thought everything was digital via cable/fiber or satellite. :confused:
Yup still get Ota TV free but more of a pain cause the digital signal Ota is more finite