HC search "attempting" to connect the dots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I honestly don't know much about him (McDaniels) as it relates to that. So, I guess that's why I am open to him.

What do the players say in NE?

I wouldn't think his name would be considered if he didn't have good rapport with players... I.e. Ability to lead.

He certainly has the X's and O's nailed down. Which is big for me.
Pats players like McD a lot. Brady came out this week and said something to the effect of "there's no way I'd be where I am in my career without Josh."

That said, Patricia to me is everything you could want in an up-and-coming HC. I don't want him to walk, but you're talking about a genius tactician with experience coaching both sides of the ball, with a background in offensive linery, who has taken a defense of mostly spare parts and gotten them to "do their job," even after Belichick jettisoned Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins.

If he doesn't get a HC job this time around, I'm going to assume it's because he knows he's the next Pats HC when Belichick hangs them up. I don't think McD will ever be a truly great head coach, but Patricia has all the hallmarks of a tremendous organizational leader.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I think the Head Coach needs to be respected by the players and his staff. It's more of a management position and I think when they call their own plays they are deficient in other areas. I think the HC controls the team atmosphere and identity. But regardless, I want a Coach/OC/QB Coach that can actually develop Goff. An OL coach that can develop the young OL. DC that can take this defense and take it to Elite.

FRO

Legend
I don't necessarily disagree ... although I do want someone with a solid foundation of X's and O's on offense, I think that is imperative with the investment made in Goff. I think the right combo for the Rams has both.
My thing is I believe Shanahan is the best for Goff and Gurley together. His system fits both very well. That being said I'm not 100% confident in his leadership ability based off media reports on how he can be with people.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I get this feeling that it's going to be Sean McVay with keeping the current defensive staff in place and Snead as General Manager. Demoff worked with McVay in Tampa so when you connect the dots, there is that. We will see soon, however, I'm interested to see if there are any reports on how the interviews went.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get this feeling that it's going to be Sean McVay with keeping the current defensive staff in place and Snead as General Manager. Demoff worked with McVay in Tampa so when you connect the dots, there is that. We will see soon, however, I'm interested to see if there are any reports on how the interviews went.
Of all the possibilities, I like this one the least.

Young, first-time HC, coupled with a GM who may have helped create the mess we're in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly don't know much about him (McDaniels) as it relates to that. So, I guess that's why I am open to him.

What do the players say in NE?

I wouldn't think his name would be considered if he didn't have good rapport with players... I.e. Ability to lead.

He certainly has the X's and O's nailed down. Which is big for me.

I don't think having rapport with players is necessarily the same thing as ability to lead, especially as a coordinator. But I don't know what sort of rapport he has.

So Kyle is in this category too then.

I am nervous that he is. He hasn't shown that yet, though.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Because people with egos like that tend not to change. Personally, I don't think he's HC material from a personality or leadership standpoint. But I can't say that with certainty.

I'd posit that people can modify behavior and change personality characteristics around the edges of who they care but core characteristics will rarely move once set after adolescence. If you guys will entertain me and consider that true, than the question with McDaniels is: Can small changes to his personality/behaviors (to to failure and re-evaluation) be enough to make him a viable head coaching candidate?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is true. But Belichick actually had some success with the Browns (including a playoff appearance) and had a better resume (imo) as a coordinator.

Bill O'Brien was a Belichick assistant. He's had success in Houston. If we're counting college, Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz were Belichick assistants.

As for McVay, I think his youth has to make you pause. But if he can impress the Rams enough at such a young age, I say go for it. Mike Tomlin was only a few years older (34 years old) when the Steelers hired him.

The most important thing to me is that we need to hire a head coach who can pull a strong staff. That's what is most likely to make or break a coach.
Well, if you look at what Billicheat did in Cleveland, it doesn't impress me at all. Yes he won 11 games one year, but many if those wins were against extremely bad teams. They also played in what could be considered the worst division of our lifetime.
His other years there were much worse.
He did improve as a coach, once he went to NE.

I'm not saying McD is going to improve, he seems to have a difficult personality to work under.
At least that's what we here.
If he has matured, than he could be a good choice. I just don't know what to think about him at this point. He's certainly not a guy I'm going to be overjoyed getting, nor will I be too upset.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
McVay intruigues me, but the whole "boy wonder" thing scares me, I'm not sure that inexperience is what we need at the helm right now.

Matt Patricia is probably what we should do as a guy who knows that the real battle happens in the trenches, but when was the last time a Belichick assistant went on to success outside of the nest. On that note, maybe McDaniels actually did learn something from his first horrifically bad stint away from home? Even Belichick was just so-so in his first HC venture iirc.
McVay intrigues me as well. His age is a concern for me, though to be honest.
I think he's the biggest gamble of all the candidates. Hi risk/reward.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
All I want at HC is one that operates like an HC, not the typical coordinator glorifying itself as an HC. If we're talking about characteristics, I'd prefer one that's good at maintaining a decentralized role. Decentralizing control allows for smooth adjustments when problems go south. Patricia gives me that impression but I still prefer Kyle Shanahan over him at this point. I'll be happy with either two

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is an off topic question, but in hindsight should the Rams kept McDaniels as OC? 2011 was horrible, but the lockout and injuries had as much to do with it as anything. McDaniels is a good OC and Fisher never did any better.
Wasn't that Spags last season?
I think he would have been if Spags was retained.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
A lot of great coaches have big egos ...Parcells jumps to mind

This is true. They also have demonstrated mistakes and dumb decisions. Everyone knows about Belichick's term there in Cleveland, but even his mentor Parcells had a really rough first year in NY and was almost replaced. Only reason he was kept around after his initial 12 loss season in which he benched Simms was because Schnellenberger passed on his job.

Pats players like McD a lot. Brady came out this week and said something to the effect of "there's no way I'd be where I am in my career without Josh."

That said, Patricia to me is everything you could want in an up-and-coming HC. I don't want him to walk, but you're talking about a genius tactician with experience coaching both sides of the ball, with a background in offensive linery, who has taken a defense of mostly spare parts and gotten them to "do their job," even after Belichick jettisoned Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins.

If he doesn't get a HC job this time around, I'm going to assume it's because he knows he's the next Pats HC when Belichick hangs them up. I don't think McD will ever be a truly great head coach, but Patricia has all the hallmarks of a tremendous organizational leader.

My concern with Patricia is that he's an extension of Belichick, where we don't know what he'll be outside the Dark Lord's sphere of influence. Does he require BB's oversight on his gameplans? How much influence does BB have in all that? Then you have the investments the Rams have made on offense that have not seen return, and some other options in the coordinator market that seem to be better fits. IMO Patricia's best fit is San Diego, where they are the opposite of the Rams with an established offense and young defense that needs development.

My thing is I believe Shanahan is the best for Goff and Gurley together. His system fits both very well. That being said I'm not 100% confident in his leadership ability based off media reports on how he can be with people.

Yeah I think Gurley would be a beast in that Shanahan run game. It would be the best situation for Goff too. But then again that's not to say both can't or won't flourish in other offensive approaches. McDaniels has a strong feel for balance and is good at tuning what he does to the pieces he has. McVay has the Shanahan background but is well steeped now in the Gruden WCO with the power ground game being a centerpiece with precision passing game (i.e. never sloppy routes). Any of those three are going to get me excited for our offense.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
krMI141h.jpg
That's our next Head Coach.
Awsome! Who wouldn't go to battle with a pirate!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if you look at what Billicheat did in Cleveland, it doesn't impress me at all. Yes he won 11 games one year, but many if those wins were against extremely bad teams. They also played in what could be considered the worst division of our lifetime.
His other years there were much worse.
He did improve as a coach, once he went to NE.

I'm not saying McD is going to improve, he seems to have a difficult personality to work under.
At least that's what we here.
If he has matured, than he could be a good choice. I just don't know what to think about him at this point. He's certainly not a guy I'm going to be overjoyed getting, nor will I be too upset.

I think when you look at what Belichick did in Cleveland, he made a lot of good moves. It didn't workout there, but he wasn't a total bust. He even beat his mentor, Bill Parcells, in the playoffs. There was good and bad. But enough good to think he might do well in his next stop. I didn't see that from McDaniels.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The more I read and listen to the "experts" the more I think we'll end up with Shanny Jr and his dad along side Snead in the FO. Keeping GW and Fassel with him bringing Callahan over as his OC.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I want McVay and I want him bad. I just have this feeling he is going to be great for many years to come. Everything I can find about him suggests that his age is of no concern in terms of leadership abilities. If he can somehow bring Callahan and his assistants with him, even better.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think when you look at what Belichick did in Cleveland, he made a lot of good moves. It didn't workout there, but he wasn't a total bust. He even beat his mentor, Bill Parcells, in the playoffs. There was good and bad. But enough good to think he might do well in his next stop. I didn't see that from McDaniels.
McDaniels is definitely not a guy I want with total control, like he had in Denver. He dismantled a fairly talented team. Much like Kelley did in Philly. It was a disaster.

As far as Bill. I'm not sure how much control over player personnel he had in Cleveland.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
My concern with Patricia is that he's an extension of Belichick, where we don't know what he'll be outside the Dark Lord's sphere of influence. Does he require BB's oversight on his gameplans? How much influence does BB have in all that? Then you have the investments the Rams have made on offense that have not seen return, and some other options in the coordinator market that seem to be better fits. IMO Patricia's best fit is San Diego, where they are the opposite of the Rams with an established offense and young defense that needs development.
Valid concern. That said, I think your best possible option would be Patricia HC, O'Brien fired in Houston and brought in as OC.

A55VA6

Legend
I feel like Patricia would be a good hire, even though he's more of a defensive guy. Extremely smart, has coached both sides of the ball, Belichick's right hand man for just over a decade. Worth a shot.