HC search "attempting" to connect the dots

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I do NOT want Boy Wonder, I just don't think a person can "change". There's a miss w/ this guy Character flaw. I been praying every night he doesn't become the apple of Kevin's eye... I do like the idea of Matt Patricia a lot but again he better have a few good coaches. Ya know like say OC & QB.

As of right now the connect the dots imho appear to be as follows:

Kyle Shanahan to Bronco's (Elways wants to keep rest of staff, don't see Kyle blocking this)

Vance Joseph to Bolts.. Looks like Joseph will have his pick of teams vs. take it or leave it gig. Need him to win the Bronco's job to have a better chance at Kyle Shanahan I think. Unless this is our surprise hire.

Boy Wonder & Nick Caserio to Whiners lots of talk about a package deal and this is the only GM "open/known" currently. I think Joshie wants to take Caserio to his next landing spot.

Mike Smith to the Jags Their DEF is close Just need a better leader and CEO HC type that can get better assistants and Mike Smith can do so.

Lynn to the Bills Seems like a likely match from the get go, otherwise they will be forced to pick a lesser name as they have a lame duck GM in Doug Whalley. (That presser was almost funnier than Jed York's).

Which brings us to the RAMS:

Does Jon Gruden leave the booth after Raiders v Texans??? Hmm I could get behind this. Still some chatter this week so could the door still be?

Sean Mcvay Been a wr coach & TE coach before starting his 3 year OC run in Washington. Least amount of info out there for us. He's young, but if he's "the" leader than age doesn't matter.

Matt Patricia To me appears to be a great CEO type, coached on both sides so he can relate and be balanced in his approach. Smart X & O guy. Father was a HC when he was growing up so he's been around coaching a long time. I would be okay w/ him.

EDIT: See this the million dollar question its going to be a crap shoot. No Slam dunk dude unless it's Tom Coughlin he would be able to pick a good coaching staff.
So what says you????

Last edited:

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't like any of those options for the Rams. Gruden was overrated to begin with and has been out of football too long. Sean McCoy is way too young and needs to gain more experience. Matt Patricia is a great defensive mind but we need offense and I don't he leaves New England anyway.

PaRam24

UDFA
Not to be a dick but the name is actually Sean Mcvay lol, continue as you where

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sounds about right to me.
We don't know what is in the head of Shanahan, but Denver seems to be the place.

The Chargers have gone OC for HC since Ross has been gone. They may go DC this go around.

Jags may take Caiglin back. If not Smith is a solid choice imo. I would actually be ok with him as the Rams next leader.

Lynn stays in Buffalo. I bet that.

9ers are a mess right now. Who knows?
If the Rams want McD, my money is on us winning this one. (Or going down in flames)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have no idea what's going to happen. I just hope we pick the right HC. And I also hope we don't pick McDaniels.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The biggest risk factor with a young OC would be that he's not ready to lead a staff of veteran coaches, because those types can be extremely difficult with the hotshot kids if not handled correctly. But McVay does have some vet coaches under him, and is not only well respected by them but also the players who talk him up like crazy.

That is really not even a concern for me. Watch his interviews, the dude is a natural at handling press too. Only concern I have is what his staff list looks like. I'd kill to see the lists of the different candidates side by side man, that would make for some great discussion lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If the Rams want McD, my money is on us winning this one. (Or going down in flames)

I can live with him as our new head coach. Not the guy I'd pick but there is a fit with him. He's very competitive and challenges players, for one, and has that schematic edge I want on offense. If it's him or Shanny I'll get behind it with no problems.

Don't want to see another defensive guy and his thumbs all over this offense. We have a young QB who fits a modern passing attack, bring in what he needs and watch it grow ffs.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I can't really find anything bad on McVay. Occasionally he can abandon the run and occasionally he'll have a bad playcall in the redzone (seems to like fade routes, and their WRs are small) but overall he seems to be a very bright offensive mind still growing with a great scheme and that team, Kirk Cousins especially, has flourished under him. One of the best OCs in the game.

His age is the only realistic concern I see about him, and even that's countered by the fact that he's mature and well respected by coaches (and even players) much older than him. He doesn't come across as a McDaniels, who lacked maturity and leadership qualities. McVay already has them. Every time McVay has been given more responsibilities, he's stepped up and gotten even better than he previously was. DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon and Chris Cooley and a lot of other guys LOVE him.

Maybe it's not this year, but he should be a great head coach one day.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I have no idea what's going to happen. I just hope we pick the right HC. And I also hope we don't pick McDaniels.

Or Patricia.

They both have flop written all over them.

FRO

Legend
I think Shanahan and the Broncos are a perfect fit. They need to improve their offense and Shanahan is the man for that. Add Romo to their offseason and they are a super bowl contender.

No clue who the Rams end up with. I think McDaniels might be their guy. I'm not sure if Snead is safe or not, so McDaniels may bring his GM along with him. Although if McDaniels likes Garoppolo a lot he could trade the 49ers high second round pick and a mid/late round pick and have his QB that already knows his system. That may be more appealing to him, plus he gets a very premium first round pick to work with.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or Patricia.

They both have flop written all over them.

I'd be fine with Patricia. He knows both sides of the ball, he's an energetic guy on the sidelines, players reportedly love playing for him, and he looks like a pirate.

He's an unknown. I'll take my chances with an unknown. McDaniels is a "fool me once..." coach imo.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Arrrrrr, matey! Rams coming for that booty!

Tried out a couple hats on him. Definitely don't see this pirate thing.

KrMbKrsh.jpg

vmUO2lAh.jpg

jjab360

Legend
McVay intruigues me, but the whole "boy wonder" thing scares me, I'm not sure that inexperience is what we need at the helm right now.

Matt Patricia is probably what we should do as a guy who knows that the real battle happens in the trenches, but when was the last time a Belichick assistant went on to success outside of the nest. On that note, maybe McDaniels actually did learn something from his first horrifically bad stint away from home? Even Belichick was just so-so in his first HC venture iirc.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I know this much; our choice needs to be made based on the HC ability to develop Goff. End. Stop.

McDaniels must be considered.

I like some of the other names equally or more, but only if they pass the Goff test. Which may put some qualified guys on the outside looking in and I am okay with that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay intruigues me, but the whole "boy wonder" thing scares me, I'm not sure that inexperience is what we need at the helm right now.

Matt Patricia is probably what we should do as a guy who knows that the real battle happens in the trenches, but when was the last time a Belichick assistant went on to success outside of the nest. On that note, maybe McDaniels actually did learn something from his first horrifically bad stint away from home? Even Belichick was just so-so in his first HC venture iirc.

This is true. But Belichick actually had some success with the Browns (including a playoff appearance) and had a better resume (imo) as a coordinator.

Bill O'Brien was a Belichick assistant. He's had success in Houston. If we're counting college, Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz were Belichick assistants.

As for McVay, I think his youth has to make you pause. But if he can impress the Rams enough at such a young age, I say go for it. Mike Tomlin was only a few years older (34 years old) when the Steelers hired him.

The most important thing to me is that we need to hire a head coach who can pull a strong staff. That's what is most likely to make or break a coach.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know this much; our choice needs to be made based on the HC ability to develop Goff. End. Stop.

McDaniels must be considered.

I like some of the other names equally or more, but only if they pass the Goff test. Which may put some qualified guys on the outside looking in and I am okay with that.

I just can't do it, CGI. I don't think he's changed. Fool me once....

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I just can't do it, CGI. I don't think he's changed. Fool me once....

I sort of feel that way too, but why?

Do the players like him in NE? Can he lead? I can't answer that.

I like his offense... And... I like that he's had considerable time in Bill Billichick's program. Has he learned why that machine works?

There feels like a lot of upside with him, unless he's just not HC material from a personality standpoint. Which I think a lot of people are concluding, but how?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I sort of feel that way too, but why?

Do the players like him in NE? Can he lead? I can't answer that.

I like his offense... And... I like that he's had considerable time in Bill Billichick's program. Has he learned why that machine works?

There feels like a lot of upside with him, unless he's just not HC material from a personality standpoint.

Because people with egos like that tend not to change. Personally, I don't think he's HC material from a personality or leadership standpoint. But I can't say that with certainty.

He just reminds me of Johnny Manziel and Lane Kiffin (in terms of personality).