HC options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Chip Kelly? I'd take him in a heartbeat... Could be available at the end of this season...

Our defense is boss, probably able to withstand the punishment that Kelly's offence puts them in (and lets face it, our offence does a better job at that than anyone!). We have one of the best RB's in the league and tricky little fella called Tavon who'd excel in chips system.. Draft a QB that fits Chip's system.................... BOOM ............... Rams Dynasty

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I've got to agree, I don't think Fisher is up to the ob of taking us any further, we've lost games this year with much better personnel on our roster, more talent. Imagine what Gurley and Austin could do on another team?

I've always found it strange that they went up to get Tavon (which was a move I liked then, and still like now) and nabbed Bailey, but we don't seem to use them like they were used at WVU at all. Maybe its all down to the QB, we've only tried 5 different starters since those two were drafted maybe we're waiting for the 6th starter to really show off ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Off the top of my head, here will likely be the top HC options this off-season:
Former Head Coaches:
Asshole Face Saints HC
Chuck Pagano Colts HC
Hue Jackson Bengals OC (former Raiders HC)
Doug Marrone Jaguars AHC/OL (former Bills HC)
Todd Haley Steelers OC (former Chiefs HC)
Josh McDaniels Patriots OC (former Broncos HC)

NFL Coordinators:
Sean McDermott Panthers DC
Adam Gase Bears OC
Kyle Shanahan Falcons OC
Ray Horton Titans DC
Ben McAdoo Giants OC
Teryl Austin Lions DC
Matt Patricia Patriots DC

NFL Assitant Coaches:
Dave Toub Chiefs Special Teams Coordinator
College Coaches:
David Shaw Stanford HC
Kirk Ferentz Iowa HC
Jim Harbaugh Michigan HC
Brian Kelly Notre Dame HC

I think it's highly unlikely that Harbaugh jumps. I also don't expect Ferentz or Kelly to be anything more than rumors.

I think Ray Horton should get a lot more attention than he will.(and he'd likely hire Ken Whisenhunt as his OC...which could be a positive or negative depending on your opinion of Whiz) I've been impressed with what Ben McAdoo has done in New York.

I also think John DeFilippo could be a true darkhorse...but I think it's highly unlikely due to his age and lack of experience. But if the Browns don't retain him, I think he'll be a hot commodity this off-season. I'm also intrigued by Bill Lazor as an OC for a new coach.

Josh McDaniels is an obvious "no" for the Rams. I also don't see Marrone ending up here. And I would also not hire Little Shanny. I'd pass on Chuck Pagano as well.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Gus-Malzahn.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Hard for me to get behind a college coach that's 14-10 over his last 2 seasons (6-9 in the SEC) and doesn't run a pro style system. Especially after seeing what has happened to Chip Kelly now that NFL defenses appear to have figured out his offense.

FRO

Legend
Off the top of my head, here will likely be the top HC options this off-season:
Former Head Coaches:
Asshole Face Saints HC
Chuck Pagano Colts HC
Hue Jackson Bengals OC (former Raiders HC)
Doug Marrone Jaguars AHC/OL (former Bills HC)
Todd Haley Steelers OC (former Chiefs HC)
Josh McDaniels Patriots OC (former Broncos HC)

NFL Coordinators:
Sean McDermott Panthers DC
Adam Gase Bears OC
Kyle Shanahan Falcons OC
Ray Horton Titans DC
Ben McAdoo Giants OC
Teryl Austin Lions DC
Matt Patricia Patriots DC

NFL Assitant Coaches:
Dave Toub Chiefs Special Teams Coordinator
College Coaches:
David Shaw Stanford HC
Kirk Ferentz Iowa HC
Jim Harbaugh Michigan HC
Brian Kelly Notre Dame HC

I think it's highly unlikely that Harbaugh jumps. I also don't expect Ferentz or Kelly to be anything more than rumors.

I think Ray Horton should get a lot more attention than he will.(and he'd likely hire Ken Whisenhunt as his OC...which could be a positive or negative depending on your opinion of Whiz) I've been impressed with what Ben McAdoo has done in New York.

I also think John DeFilippo could be a true darkhorse...but I think it's highly unlikely due to his age and lack of experience. But if the Browns don't retain him, I think he'll be a hot commodity this off-season. I'm also intrigued by Bill Lazor as an OC for a new coach.

Josh McDaniels is an obvious "no" for the Rams. I also don't see Marrone ending up here. And I would also not hire Little Shanny. I'd pass on Chuck Pagano as well.
Looks like a pretty decent group. Some years it seems like the candidates are a bit lame.

If Asshole Face brings Brees with him and a DC like Schwartz, he would be a good get. His problem is the opposite of Fisher. Great offenses and horrible defenses.

Hue got a raw deal with the Raiders. He was the guy I wanted Fisher to hire over Schotty. He actually interviewed Jackson. Got that hire very wrong.

Last year I was skeptical of Gase because Peyton Manning makes a lot of OCs look good. That being said his work this year with the Bears and getting Cutler to play at the level he has is great. I would look into him.

I've always been impressed with David Shaw. He has NFL ties and has done solid at Stanford.

We need an offensive minded HC. I would love to keep Williams as DC, but if we can't then Schwartz is a great replacement.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Hard for me to get behind a college coach that's 14-10 over his last 2 seasons (6-9 in the SEC) and doesn't run a pro style system. Especially after seeing what has happened to Chip Kelly now that NFL defenses appear to have figured out his offense.

Not Me. And Chip Kelly's problem has more to do with his personnel decisions vs. NFL teams figuring out his offense, IMO. Besides, there are and have been some pro style elements in his offenses.

A good coach is just a good coach, IMO. Packer fans couldn't get behind former OC Mike McCarthy when he was hired because his 49ers offense was almost dead last in the NFL the prior season. But, I'm guessing they are happy now.

I'd love to see the Rams hire Malzahn (who probably already has a good relationship with Snead) and NOT give him personnel control. I doubt, he'd come to the NFL and try to run the same EXACT offense. He hasn't even done that in college.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Hue got a raw deal with the Raiders. He was the guy I wanted Fisher to hire over Schotty. He actually interviewed Jackson. Got that hire very wrong.
Agree big time here.
I wanted Jackson as well. Still would rather have him than what we have now.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I wonder if Snead, Demoff and the gang could get an up and coming OC like Gase or McAdoo on the silent agreement that they become HC after Fisher's final year. Keep some form of continuity with Fish coaching his final year, allow an OC a season to get comfortable and then come 2017 they take the reigns.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not Me. And Chip Kelly's problem has more to do with his personnel decisions vs. NFL teams figuring out his offense, IMO. Besides, there are and have been some pro style elements in his offenses.

A good coach is just a good coach, IMO. Packer fans couldn't get behind former OC Mike McCarthy when he was hired because his 49ers offense was almost dead last in the NFL the prior season. But, I'm guessing they are happy now.

I'd love to see the Rams hire Malzahn (who probably already has a good relationship with Snead) and NOT give him personnel control. I doubt, he'd come to the NFL and try to run the same EXACT offense. He hasn't even done that in college.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/11/lavonte_david_says_eagles_predictability_led_to_pi.html
David's description of the play afterwards is an indictment not only of Sanchez' turnover-prone nature, but Kelly's offense that has become largely unimaginative in this inconsistent 2015 season.

"It was just play recognition," David told NJ Advance Media after the game. "I knew exactly what they wanted to do. It's the same thing they were doing all game. I knew that on the drive before they were hitting us a lot with screen passes. So, knowing that, all I needed to do was read and react.

"When I saw the alignment coming out ... Sproles came out earlier and the alignment came out after. I was able to get a beat on the ball and was able to jump the route."

The complaints about Kelly's offense is that it's predictable. It runs the same plays over and over again and doesn't vary the snap count enough. Instead, it tries to rely on tempo. NFL defenses are figuring this out and recognizing what the Eagles are going to do based on how they're lined up. It has made them very predictable.

A good coach is a good coach. But Mike McCarthy was not the Head Coach in San Francisco. Malzahn is the Head Coach and Auburn seems to be getting worse under him. Maybe that'll change next year if they solve their QB problems. But I cannot advocate hiring a guy that is currently struggling in college.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if Snead, Demoff and the gang could get an up and coming OC like Gase or McAdoo on the silent agreement that they become HC after Fisher's final year. Keep some form of continuity with Fish coaching his final year, allow an OC a season to get comfortable and then come 2017 they take the reigns.

Why would they agree to that when they can likely get a HC job now? Especially considering that Fisher isn't going to retire. So if he does well with them as OC, are the Rams really going to let him go?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Why would they agree to that when they can likely get a HC job now? Especially considering that Fisher isn't going to retire. So if he does well with them as OC, are the Rams really going to let him go?
This could be a pretty desirable landing spot. A great defense in place, young oline with plenty of upside and a great young RB. What OC wouldn't take the gig, especially if upper management told them the gig would be their's after a year?

Let's face it, rumors of a possible move still persist, and we keep hearing about how Fish would make such a great buffer having been through it before. Let him take the heat the year of the move, and you already have your heir apparent in place.

Just spit balling really, but is it so far fetched that a wink and a nod agreement might be in place?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Payton or Jackson because IMO the Rams need to go offense was never a fan of Pagano and they should have kept Arians. As to college Head Coaches don't see any of them making the jump, but stranger things have happened.

Problem is if it's Jackson or Payton all of us will be concerned on who the defensive coordinator will be.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This could be a pretty desirable landing spot. A great defense in place, young oline with plenty of upside and a great young RB. What OC wouldn't take the gig, especially if upper management told them the gig would be their's after a year?

Let's face it, rumors of a possible move still persist, and we keep hearing about how Fish would make such a great buffer having been through it before. Let him take the heat the year of the move, and you already have your heir apparent in place.

Just spit balling really, but is it so far fetched that a wink and a nod agreement might be in place?

I don't see it as a realistic option for a guy in the running for real HC jobs. You're best bet would be landing a guy that isn't currently in the running or was just fired that's a strong offensive mind.

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/11/lavonte_david_says_eagles_predictability_led_to_pi.html
David's description of the play afterwards is an indictment not only of Sanchez' turnover-prone nature, but Kelly's offense that has become largely unimaginative in this inconsistent 2015 season.

"It was just play recognition," David told NJ Advance Media after the game. "I knew exactly what they wanted to do. It's the same thing they were doing all game. I knew that on the drive before they were hitting us a lot with screen passes. So, knowing that, all I needed to do was read and react.

"When I saw the alignment coming out ... Sproles came out earlier and the alignment came out after. I was able to get a beat on the ball and was able to jump the route."

The complaints about Kelly's offense is that it's predictable. It runs the same plays over and over again and doesn't vary the snap count enough. Instead, it tries to rely on tempo. NFL defenses are figuring this out and recognizing what the Eagles are going to do based on how they're lined up. It has made them very predictable.

A good coach is a good coach. But Mike McCarthy was not the Head Coach in San Francisco. Malzahn is the Head Coach and Auburn seems to be getting worse under him. Maybe that'll change next year if they solve their QB problems. But I cannot advocate hiring a guy that is currently struggling in college.

Methinks Chip Kelly's offense, predictable or no, is like any other offense in that a talent depletion can affect it's results. My guess is that Mariota makes it go a helluva lot better than Bradford who looked no different than he looked in St. Louis, IMO (Took awhile to be sure, but I'm now convinced that he's just that good a QB).

Along those lines, I'd be down on Malzahn if Auburn were getting worse with the same QB, WRs, RB, and other players he lost last year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Methinks Chip Kelly's offense, predictable or no, is like any other offense in that a talent depletion can affect it's results. My guess is that Mariota makes it go a helluva lot better than Bradford who looked no different than he looked in St. Louis, IMO (Took awhile to be sure, but I'm now convinced that he's just that good a QB).

Along those lines, I'd be down on Malzahn if Auburn were getting worse with the same QB, WRs, RB, and other players he lost last year.

It's hard for me to accept that in college ball when you see so many coaches that consistently win...even in rebuilding years, they find a way to put up 9+ wins.

Kelly's offense is suffering from talent depletion...but the fact that it's predictable and repetitive is making it easier to stop.

With those type of offenses, you have to rely on execution to win.(that's why the Colts were good for so long under Manning...pretty simple offense but the man executed that offense like no other QB could) Kelly got rid of a lot of the talent that executed.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's hard for me to accept that in college ball when you see so many coaches that consistently win...even in rebuilding years, they find a way to put up 9+ wins.

Kelly's offense is suffering from talent depletion...but the fact that it's predictable and repetitive is making it easier to stop.

With those type of offenses, you have to rely on execution to win.(that's why the Colts were good for so long under Manning...pretty simple offense but the man executed that offense like no other QB could) Kelly got rid of a lot of the talent that executed.

Find a way to put in 9+ wins playing cupcakes schedules outside of the SEC.

I'd like to know if it's easy and repetitive because of all of the new talent on hand. Besides, is it really just Kelly's offense? I thought Shurmur played a role, too. And as I recall, Shurmur's NFL offense was considered predictable and repetitive in St. Louis.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Find a way to put in 9+ wins playing cupcakes schedules outside of the SEC.

I'd like to know if it's easy and repetitive because of all of the new talent on hand. Besides, is it really just Kelly's offense? I thought Shurmur played a role, too. And as I recall, Shurmur's NFL offense was considered predictable and repetitive in St. Louis.

Yet there are SEC coaches that do it and have done it.

It's just Kelly's offense. It's how it's run.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
What about Les Miles? LSU is letting him go and he's won a couple championships.