HBO Breaking Away from Cable, Satellite

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
They might for now, and in some areas, but don't expect this to last either. Google Fiber is deploying with 1 GB/s speeds here in Austin, and when they get to my neighborhood, I'm going to drop my current provider (Time Warner) like a used condom. AT&T has also deployed some GB/s internet here, and as more providers start to get into that game, the more other cities will demand it.

At this point, there is no reason the technology can't support higher download speeds, and providers are going to have a harder time justifying keeping them low, as well as throttling.

That was kind of the point I made in the sentence after the one you bolded. I do not expect Fiber services to be the replacement though. It is too costly to deploy and wireless technologies are narrowing the bandwidth gap. I worked in Verizon Labs for 10 years and was heavily involved in designing and testing FiOS. VZ spent a shton of time and resources on that and from I hear now, they are not even really expanding that footprint anymore. They would need subscribers to remain customers for like 6 years to break even for what it costs to install.....