Hayes' tirade reflects rams frustration

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_6fae1378-5a62-509e-abb1-1a3c2eab2704.html

When the forearm met the mirror, it was a culmination of frustration on several levels for defensive end William Hayes. Losing a hard-fought game; losing to a Tennessee team he once played for; and seeing an underachieving Rams team fall to 3-6.

So in one emotional moment, he summed up a season and the feeling of an entire team. You think highly-paid professional athletes don’t care? Tell that to Hayes and his forearm.

“You know I’m passionate about the game, about my teammates,” Hayes said Wednesday. “I know every guy in this locker room was a little frustrated after the game. And I kind of let my feelings out, probably in a way I shouldn’t have. There’s a way to do things, and I probably took things a little too far.”

He added: “The mirror was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I kind of took it a little overboard. Emotions came out and got the best of me.”

These were Hayes’ first comments about his mirror-smashing locker room tirade following Sunday’s 28-21 loss to Tennessee.

Hayes said it never crossed his mind when he struck the mirror that he might get hurt.

“I was in a whole ’nother mindset,” he said. “I got stitches in my arm, but I’m fine now.”

Hayes received the stitches right on the spot, in a back area away from the main locker room. His right arm was wrapped during Wednesday’s practice and he was a full participant. He wasn’t even listed on the team’s official injury report for the day.

Although he declined to provide details, Hayes said he had a similar issue or two in college at Winston-Salem State. But now is different, he said.

“Football to me now probably means a little more in recent years,” said Hayes, now in his sixth NFL season and his second with the Rams.

“I know at the end of the day, I’m not in my first or second year any more,” said Hayes, 28. “So I know that time is ticking. I don’t have too many more chances to try to get where I want to get to. My rookie year (in Tennessee), we made it to the playoffs and I’ve been trying my best to get there ever since.”

Time is also ticking on the 2013 Rams. Any chance to make the playoffs or even avoid a losing season has dwindled to the nub, and everyone in the locker room knows it.

“We just don’t have that much time left to try to turn this thing around,” Hayes said. “I know what we’ve got in here. As a whole, I think this is a (talented) team. If that wasn’t the case, I probably wouldn’t have come back here. I came back here because I knew what we had.”

Hayes was an unrestricted free agent this past offseason and took less money to return to St. Louis. So the fact that the Rams haven’t played to their potential is part of what’s eating at Hayes, and to some degree, at the rest of the team.

“If you look at the games, we kind of cost ourselves some games, making big mistakes and the defense not coming through at times when we probably needed to,” Hayes said.

The Rams have lost three games by seven points or less – against Atlanta, Seattle, and Tennessee. Win just two of those three, and the Rams’ record is 5-4 and things don’t look so bleak even with starting quarterback Sam Bradford out for the season. Instead the record is 3-6.

“It hurts to lose Sam,” Hayes said. “But Kellen (Clemens) has been playing at a pretty high level. At the end of the day, Kellen’s put us in position to win games and we just haven’t come through.”

In talking to Hayes last week leading up to the Tennessee game, it was obvious that the contest meant a lot to him. He spent his first four seasons there.

“And I really wanted to win it for Coach (Jeff Fisher),” Hayes said. “Because I know how good of a man he is, and everything he’s ever done for me. So that’s what really came forth out of me. I really, really, really wanted to win that game.”

As is often the case in an NFL locker room, no deed goes unpunished. So Hayes got his share of ribbing from his teammates on the defensive line. Some of which involved a certain line from the movie Tropic Thunder.

“I didn’t take it personal,” Hayes said. “I’m not a sensitive guy. So I can take it.”

Underneath the ribbing is respect for Hayes in the locker room. No one was shocked by what Hayes did and many felt the same way.

“Guys are beat up after losses,” defensive end Chris Long said. “Sometimes people watching the game with a beer in their hands, they think they’re bent out of shape about the game. And nobody’s denying the fact that the fans have a lot invested in what we do. After a loss, it can be devastating. Guys are hurt bad because we put a lot into it, we prepare hard, and everybody wants to win. Everybody in this league wants to win.”

“Will’s a competitor,” Clemens said. “There’s no question how much he cares about this football team, how much he cares about winning. You appreciate a guy who shows emotion. We’re just fortunate that Will’s all right.

‘‘We’ll use what part of it we can as motivation for the team. We’re better than 3-6. That’s frustrating. But all we can do is try to get to 4-6.”

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I love seeing this passion. He is such an asset to this team.

had

Rookie
We’re better than 3-6

I'm not sure why this irritates me so much, but it really does. Maybe I'm bitter. I don't know. I believe the talent is there to be a lot better than their record, but they've played 3-6 football, for f*cksake. They're not better than their record.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure why this irritates me so much, but it really does. Maybe I'm bitter. I don't know. I believe the talent is there to be a lot better than their record, but they've played 3-6 football, for f*cksake. They're not better than their record.

I'm with you.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

I agree. We have the talent, but it just hasnt come together(except for the Seattle game). We all expected the defense to take the next leap this season, and i bet the players thought the same. They have not put it together, and i agree they are not better than their record at this point.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
you-went-full-retard-never-go-full-retard.jpg

A55VA6

Legend
I feel like the Rams could be a 6-3 team instead of a 3-6 team. Such a frustrating season.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like his passion, but, they are what they are this year. A lot of the "blame" for lack of a better word has to go to the D. Im sorry, but, I just cant get my head around a D that was so good last year being one of the worst in the league vs. the run this year. For all of the rule changes and fancy this and that aides the passing game if you cant stop the run you wont win much.

I like his passion, but, they are what they are this year. A lot of the "blame" for lack of a better word has to go to the D. Im sorry, but, I just cant get my head around a D that was so good last year being one of the worst in the league vs. the run this year. For all of the rule changes and fancy this and that aides the passing game if you cant stop the run you wont win much.

We weren't much better against the run last season to be fair, this season we're giving away 4.4 yards per attempt last season it was 4.3 yards per attempt.

And there's not been much change in our pass defence either, we allowed 66.2% completions against whereas this season it's 66.9%.

The main difference in our D is we are giving up an extra yard per attempt in the passing game and we were able to feast upon Ryan Lindley and Josh Freeman last season forcing 8 interceptions over the two games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I know is this...something needs to change on D...if this defensive scheme is Fisher's doing, he needs to adapt because it's frustrating. We have more talent than this.

jap

Legend

In defense of Will Hayes, who along with Jo-lonn and Chris, bring much of the defensive fire, I don't believe he is excusing the 3-6 record. As a veteran lineman I believe he is referencing the fact that gap coverage miscues and other foolish mistakes have cost the defense some valuable real estate against opponents. If the mistakes could be kept to a minimum, the Horns would have a winning season right now, even with the less talented but fiery Killer Kellen at the helm.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think scheming has more to do with the pass D than the run D. Many of our players just aren't that good at run D. I see a lot of players not being able to shed blocks or over persueing.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I think our coaches have underachieved this year, no excuses. It's pretty late and I'm toasted, but that's how I see it thus far. I know we are young and all, but we should be a more solid UNIT by now. Just don't see the progress we should expect, I blame the coaching for a lot of it.

F. Mulder

Starter
The comments from both players and coaches about "just not playing the right gaps" or "one or two missed assignments", confusion, blah blah blah. I read the exact same types of comments when Haslett was here and when Spags was here. All this stuff about gap control and awareness, playing the backside, etc. Of all the groups I would think this group of allegedly above average players (Long/1st rd, Quinn/1st round, Brockers/1st Round, Hayes/High FA target, Langford/High FA target, JL/1st Round, Ogletree/1st round) and they still can't figure out gap control and backside containment? I swear every friggin time they run a naked boot or a play pass boot there is nobody on backside containment and the play works. If we want to include the secondary, Jenkins is a 2nd round pick (who was a consensus 1st), Finnegan/huge FA target, Johnson/3rd.

I get that some of those players are young, some are not great tacklers (Jenkins), the Safety play sucks but OVERALL you'd think a front 7 that we have would play more like they did vs Seattle than the abomination we saw vs the likes of Dallas, SF, Houston, and now Tenn. This was supposed to be a top 5-10 Defense and it looks more like a top 20. For all the struggles the Offense has had (and the special teams have been worse) the D has disappointed me the most. There were games that we could have stolen with better D effort. Something major needs to happen in the offseason to fix this.

New scheme? New coaches? Maybe some overrated players? It's like watching a house on fire an not being able to look away.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Hope to see some disciplined, smart play from our team the rest of the way cause our coach gets paid like an elite athlete.
Our team just hasn't looked ready to play all year and it has shocked me .

Did Fisher take it TOO easy on the vets at training camp?
Maybe, because the whole season is like pre-season......
Don't know what goes on behind closed doors but at some point you have to call "bullshit".
Sorry for the rant....

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
What I know is this...something needs to change on D...if this defensive scheme is Fisher's doing, he needs to adapt because it's frustrating. We have more talent than this.
Except jrry this is a defense that is built to play with a lead,I am not AS distressed with our run defense as I am our pass, we aren't getting the turnovers on d we are built to get,if we were, our run defense would SEEM less a problem.
Por ehemplo (phonetic Spanish fer ya) if Janoris and Finnegan where producing what they did last year ,we'd probably be around .500 plus or minus a game and the whole tenor of the board would be different EVEN though Sam was out for the year.,IF I HAD to say ,here is THE guy I think is our biggest disappointment ,a guy who if we had "this guy" in his prime playing his position our run D would be WAY better WAY THE HELL it's, Lauranitis ,we keep hearing he's so good,I don't see it. I think London Fletcher of 5/6 year ago in place of JL and we'd be G2G.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't disagree with that ^^. JL has never been great at getting off blocks. He is very disciplined, but not strong enough to be a real force at MLB.