Having McVay as HC might bode well for acquiring quality FA's...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's my thinking...

McVay impressed the heck out of the FO brass, the press, and the fans throughout the interviews and after the hire. Almost universally so. He just oozed charm, competence, and energy.

Next came his hiring choices for the various assistant coaches. Almost unanimously hailed as a terrific group and with a few considered HR's. My point being that he was respected and considered a very good HC prospect that was going places and many coaches wanted to hitch their wagons to such a person, if only to enhance their future resumes.

Now, let's take this thought process one logical step further, shall we?

Why wouldn't the McVay aura, in combo with some outstanding asst coaches, attract potential future FA's in the same way? Players that might be kinda on the fence while entertaining multiple team offers? Especially important when it comes to O positions, huh? Might be refreshing to have an O coaching staff that attracted rather than repelled potential FA's.

I think the McVay factor might just be the difference maker in at least a few cases. If I'm right, this would be a huge positive influence on our offseason plans. Could make our draft strategy a lot more clear, too.

What do y'all think?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Here's my thinking...

McVay impressed the heck out of the FO brass, the press, and the fans throughout the interviews and after the hire. Almost universally so. He just oozed charm, competence, and energy.

Next came his hiring choices for the various assistant coaches. Almost unanimously hailed as a terrific group and with a few considered HR's. My point being that he was respected and considered a very good HC prospect that was going places and many coaches wanted to hitch their wagons to such a person, if only to enhance their future resumes.

Why wouldn't the McVay aura, in combo with some outstanding asst coaches, attract potential future FA's in the same way? Players that might be kinda on the fence while entertaining multiple team offers? Especially important when it comes to O positions, huh? Might be refreshing to have an O coaching staff that attracted rather than repelled potential FA's.

I think the McVay factor might just be the difference maker in at least a few cases. If I'm right, this would be a huge positive influence on our offseason plans. Could make our draft strategy a lot more clear, too.

What do y'all think?
I hope your correct, I think you are! It would make things a lot easier If we can pick up an OT-Center and WR in free agency! It sure would make up for not having a 1st round pick!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO that's a few years away, I have no doubt that McVay will be able to sell his vision, however, once the Rams start winning that will have the ability to draw more high profile free agents. Right now it comes down to money, location & scheme and for some the ability to win a championship.

My hope right now is the Rams just sign the right free agents under the Fisher regime they whiffed on many and only scored on a few (Britt & Hayes) this is an area that Snead has to be more successful in as well. With McVay I hope like some coaches, he just does not sign guys that he knows, but goes after the true quality free agent.

I also believe in this area the likes of Wade Phillips will be an asset as well and the big question will be do the Rams keep Trumaine Johnson? This will go a long way into seeing how free agency works out because Rams will have to allocate so much money for him. I still believe location does play a factor because as many like to post about the high rate of state tax of California, well, New York is second and it did not stop the Giants from signing all of those guys last season, did it?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Here's my thinking...

What do y'all think?
Money will be the deciding factor. Overpaying for players is what FA is all about. Ram's have to be smart and not overspend. Hopefully they can sign a Center and a WR.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Money will be the deciding factor. Overpaying for players is what FA is all about. Ram's have to be smart and not overspend. Hopefully they can sign a Center and a WR.

Don't agree with FA is about over paying. In a lot of cases that is very true.

With The Rams will start with the move. They are going to be playing in the #2 sports market in the US. Plus add the new stadium & first players to play there.
That in it's self makes it an excellent place to play. Players make there money in other ways than there BFL contract. They can brand the self.
Yes this is where McVay & coaching staff comes into play. The thing The Rams are looking for is plays that fit there scheme & out look. They will be more in control of there situation than usual , which is cool from a fans stand point .

The other thing about this coaching staff is there relationships with players around the league & There reputation . McVay has always said he likes to get to know his players a person .They like to know what makes a player tick. As Kromer said, they are not going to yell at there players, but rather teach. He goes back to earning his teaching degree.
-- Will see who The Rams bring in. The best FA sometimes is the one you don't sign.
---- Look across to The Pond(Big A,Honda) from St.Louis to Anaheim (LA)
With The Angels signing Albert Pulhos & who have not been to the playoffs & having the best player in baseball batting in front of him. Then Molina Bro(Benji & Jose) & St. Louis Cardinals winning & going to World Series & playoffs almost every year since.

In the Albert world of Haynsworth who thought he got payed in Euro's or pounds .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You do have to overpay in FA, or perhaps more accurately pay top dollar. But also it's important to remember that certain staffs have zero chance with certain players and positions.

Fish had zero chance for a top wideout. He had an inside track on some DL types certainly, but outside of the defense they were not going to be in the mix barring stupid overpaying.

This staff will have a shot at top offensive players, where they will consider the Rams legitimately. They will also have a shot at top defensive players due to their defensive staff. Whoever they covet this FA period, they'll be in the mix and it will come down to making the player feel wanted and paying them well. Which is fine btw. Just make sure it's the right player, a guy who fits and who isn't on his last legs or a guy with a history of injuries.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You do have to overpay in FA, or perhaps more accurately pay top dollar. But also it's important to remember that certain staffs have zero chance with certain players and positions.

Fish had zero chance for a top wideout. He had an inside track on some DL types certainly, but outside of the defense they were not going to be in the mix barring stupid overpaying.

This staff will have a shot at top offensive players, where they will consider the Rams legitimately. They will also have a shot at top defensive players due to their defensive staff. Whoever they covet this FA period, they'll be in the mix and it will come down to making the player feel wanted and paying them well. Which is fine btw. Just make sure it's the right player, a guy who fits and who isn't on his last legs or a guy with a history of injuries.

Fisher could have signed Bolden for a nice contract last year ? At what price & value would he have brought tonThe Rams ? A veteran like that could have been worth more than his price in gold.
--Brandan Lloyd might be a guy you pay a good value.

--First younstart at the draft. The Rams have TOTALLY over paid for Tavon Austin (2 Times !!)
--There are always players you can sign for value , which The Rams will attend to do.
--Look at Green Bay -- who have they signed as a FA WR ?? Randy Moss deal to NE ??
Green Bay signed Jared Cook on the cheap , as well as The Rams with D. Easily .

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it goes without saying that the Rams have to pay a fair market price for their FA's.

I didn't imply otherwise, I hope.

But assuming salary offer was fair, and Demoff has a reputation of being fair there, what FA on D WOULDN'T want to play for Wade Phillips?

Somewhat the same for McVay on O, I think. He has a tremendous reputation for developing his players, having them prepared for anything, and making them look GOOD. What FA on O wouldn't find that appealing?

Less shouting and F bombs directed at players and a whole lot more teaching should be quite appealing.

All I'm saying is that I think the Rams now have a lighter lift when enticing FA's to come on board.

Want 3 examples that I think we now have a shot to acquire because of this new staff?

TruJo. Wade might make the difference in his decision making.
Garcon. Gonna have many suitors, but I think he likes McVay.
Leary. Another FA who will have multiple suitors. But McVay and Kromer might be just enough to tip the scales.

I'm sure that there are many more, as well.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'm hoping we get TruJo under 12 mil/per, Garcon, elite OC, above avg OG then get a few solid LB's, FS, WRs, & TE to round out FA

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
TruJo. Wade might make the difference in his decision making.
Garcon. Gonna have many suitors, but I think he likes McVay.
Leary. Another FA who will have multiple suitors. But McVay and Kromer might be just enough to tip the scales.

I'm not sure about Johnson, IMHO, it was Fisher (Jeff) & Fisher (Brandon) that was the reason he was drafted by the Rams, Brandon in fact played with Johnson at Montana. The Browns will come hard after him IMHO, so I'm glad that Brandon Fisher did not sign on in Cleveland.

Garcon or Jackson I concur with and most coaches get that and Ron Leary would be an excellent signing, so let's hope McVay can show him the way!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
FA's sign for the money, or on rare occasions late in their career for the chance to win a title.

With the new CBA rookies don't get big contracts.

So they mostly sigh for the money.

The location, HC, system and all the rest takes a back seat to the guaranteed cash.

Ram65

Legend
IMO that's a few years away, I have no doubt that McVay will be able to sell his vision, however, once the Rams start winning that will have the ability to draw more high profile free agents. Right now it comes down to money, location & scheme and for some the ability to win a championship.

My hope right now is the Rams just sign the right free agents under the Fisher regime they whiffed on many and only scored on a few (Britt & Hayes) this is an area that Snead has to be more successful in as well. With McVay I hope like some coaches, he just does not sign guys that he knows, but goes after the true quality free agent.

I also believe in this area the likes of Wade Phillips will be an asset as well and the big question will be do the Rams keep Trumaine Johnson? This will go a long way into seeing how free agency works out because Rams will have to allocate so much money for him. I still believe location does play a factor because as many like to post about the high rate of state tax of California, well, New York is second and it did not stop the Giants from signing all of those guys last season, did it?

Good points. I also think that McVay and Rams are a year or two away to draw the more high profile players and even want to spend that kind of money. Garcon is a good fit compared to paying top dollar to Alshon Jeffery. I know money talks but, Jeffery might want to play for a winning team when the money is close. McVay would be better served to get the culture changed with a player like Garcon.