Havenstein doubtful for Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Nobody can endure 4 offensive line injuries and be ok. The best teams may only have 2 competent reserves. Just looking at the Fisher and Snead regime the major failure of it was not being able to fix the offense. The line being a big part of it. They did the free agent band aid approach, that failed, now in year 4, they finally went young. Long term it will pay huge benefits provided they got the right guys.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Heard Wagoner on 101espn say the oline will be; GRob, Reynolds, Barnes, Wichmann and Donnel.

If the offense wants to score anything, we need to put a tight end (Harkey) on the right side at all times. Dumervil against Donnal is a mismatch.

FRO

Legend
It's not what the plan was. It's called making the best of what the alternative is now.

It real easy to say they should have known Saffold was destined to get hurt. But you don't PLAN for those things. They didn't PLAN from Havenstien to get dinged up in back to back weeks. They didn't plan to have TWO linemen sustain season ending injuries on one play.
I agree nobody has the depth to cover the amount of line injuries we have endured. The beef should be that even the starters weren't that great and waiting until all at once to put a raw LT, a first time full time starting C, and a rookie RG and RT was a risk that would backfire. The line was an issue all year, now going forward when these rookies get more experienced the youth movement will be a good thing. The frustration from my standpoint is that higher picks shod have been used in 2012 and 2013. I do however realize that there were massive roster holes to fill and maybe they couldn't find linemen to measure up to draft slots. The lifeline of our defense is the line. I love how they invested in it. I wish they would have gone about it similarly with the offensive line. It's water under the bridge and going forward getting Donnell and Wichman playing time is huge. I would like to see Rhaney get some play at OG as well. I thought he looked very good there in preseason, especially getting out in space.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sure wish we had drafted La'el Collins late in the draft.

:popcorn:

Memphis Ram

Legend

If he would have showed up instead of heading into the next years draft class.
Besides, IMO, this team has plenty of guards which I expect Wichman to show tomorrow (fingers crossed).;)

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
OLine. SmoLine.

Sure, they have to play well, but the OLine Coordinator should be able to help these guys out enough with his play calls to help them get by. Shoot, they could do what most smart teams have done vs. the Rams defense.

FRO

Legend
If he would have showed up instead of heading into the next years draft class.
Besides, IMO, this team has plenty of guards which I expect Wichman to show tomorrow (fingers crossed).;)
I thought the league ruled he wouldn't be able to enter next year's draft. I agree we should have picked Collins. He was an early round talent at OG. Fits what we want to do. Water under the bridge though.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I thought the league ruled he wouldn't be able to enter next year's draft. I agree we should have picked Collins. He was an early round talent at OG. Fits what we want to do. Water under the bridge though.

He wouldn't have been able to enter the draft if he went undrafted. However, he could have re-entered the draft if he were drafted and didn't sign.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Long term it will pay huge benefits provided they got the right guys.
And there's the rub. With an admittedly small sample size, the results so far are not great. Havenstein is probably the highest graded of our rookie OL so far, and I believe his grades are well below average. If these end up being bust picks, this franchise will remain a bottom dweller for years to come...

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
And there's the rub. With an admittedly small sample size, the results so far are not great. Havenstein is probably the highest graded of our rookie OL so far, and I believe his grades are well below average. If these end up being bust picks, this franchise will remain a bottom dweller for years to come...
I think you may be wrong about Havenstein's grade. PFF had their O-line rankings prior to week 9, and this is what they had to say about him:

27. St. Louis Rams (25th)

Pass blocking rank: 25th

Run blocking rank: 28th

Penalties rank: 28th

Stud: First-year player Rob Havenstein (73.1) doesn’t look like a rookie.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I think you may be wrong about Havenstein's grade. PFF had their O-line rankings prior to week 9, and this is what they had to say about him:

27. St. Louis Rams (25th)

Pass blocking rank: 25th

Run blocking rank: 28th

Penalties rank: 28th

Stud: First-year player Rob Havenstein (73.1) doesn’t look like a rookie.
Yeah, I read that actually. Is that his ranking against all OL, or just right tackles? If RT, he is well below average. I like RH for sure, and I hope he will continue to improve, but man is that a lot to ask of a young OL. Hope these guys all pan out as reliable, if not spectacular players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's not what the plan was. It's called making the best of what the alternative is now.It real easy to say they should have known Saffold was destined to get hurt. But you don't PLAN for those things. They didn't PLAN from Havenstien to get dinged up in back to back weeks. They didn't plan to have TWO linemen sustain season ending injuries on one play.
That's what always said "you don't PLAN for those things" as it pertains to Saffold & I would agree mostly. I think now when it comes to Rodger Saffold that must change completely. I 'll get back to that later...

Ram Org. did go into the season with some decent OL Emergency Injury Plan (EIP) in case of OL injuries. The Ram Org. had the ORT/OG's covered well enough when they signed UFA versatile veteran Garrett Reynolds which was a EIP element. I could also argue another element of the EIP was non other than our most talented veteran & costly OL was Saffold. Who can & has started four OL positions in his 6 NFL seasons. Those were two major elements in my argument on the side of this Ram Org in this "plan" issue. The real only uncovered OL post not really planned heavily would look to have been reserve center. Tim Barnes is young & in the past when injured he has shown to be tough & a quick healer.

OC Barrett Jones who was entering his 3rd season was the more seasoned back up @ OC till the very last second of the conclusion of pre season when he was released on September 5th 2015. In place of the first yr rookie center & fully healthy Demetrius Rhaney who offered so much more promising upside to the weakened & damage footed Jones. Rhaney had demonstrated he could play all three interior OL posts very well. IMO it was a good Ram Org decision.

The rest of the elements of EIP was the extra large overall size of the #11 OL contingent that Ram Org.was going to carry on the master & practice squad rosters. So in my very small brain I do see a good overall balance from this Ram Org. having a OL EIP.(y) Sad but the Rams big weak link in our EIP was taken out first, that was Saffold. Then just a little moment later Reynolds was removed from the EIP when he was forced to start. So the two big elements were no longer present to be utilized, left with the last much weaker rookie elements of the EIP. Then the final additional injuries to what were our best two starting rookies Brown & Havenstein last week turns the EIP into dusty shambles. I not done here now to add to this nightmare is the loss of the best reserve OT Darrell Williams to the IR:seizure:.

Back to Rodger Saffold...I would advocate a change with Saffold in 2016. 12 days ago I posted my thoughts on Saffold going forward:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/a-lot-of-changes-looming-this-offseason.41314/page-3#post-661623

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/state-of-rams-per-a-scout.41365/page-2#post-662490

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...6-top-25-free-agents.41047/page-2#post-653428

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Heard Wagoner on 101espn say the oline will be; GRob, Reynolds, Barnes, Wichmann and Donnel.

FWIW, I favor leaving Reynolds at LG. More interior stability.

Donnal seems like he would be a better RT than LG. He did play RT in college, after all.

Would have been nice to have Williams, but it is what it is.

Anybody think Battle could play a decent RT at this point?

With either Donnal or Battle at RT, I suspect that we will be forced to help with a TE for blocking purposes which further hampers possible targets for Keenum. Sigh...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Donnal seems like he would be a better RT than LG. He did play RT in college, after all.

Would have been nice to have Williams, but it is what it is.

Anybody think Battle could play a decent RT at this point?

With either Donnal or Battle at RT, I suspect that we will be forced to help with a TE for blocking purposes which further hampers possible targets for Keenum. Sigh...

IMO Battle would be better at RT than Donnal I'm basing that just on athletic ability alone. Again I will never understand why the Rams drafted Donnal, IMO, they were focused on another player and were shocked that he went and Donnal was a panic pick because everyone else had Donnal going much later, if not an UDRFA.

OVERVIEW
2014: Honorable mention All-Big Ten. Started all 13 games at right tackle. 2013: Played in 13 games at guard and tackle. 2012: Played in seven games, starting three at right guard before suffering torn ACL and missing final five games. 2011: Played in first four games. 2010: Redshirted.

PRO DAY RESULTS

3-cone drill: 7.51 seconds
Bench press: 23 reps of 225 pounds
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Not the prettiest tackle you will see, but is technically sound and works hard snap in and snap out. Succeeds with proper hand placement. Looks for work down the field or when play is in his area. Uses power step to meet inside pass rush moves. Shows ability to drop anchor even if it is a little deep in the pocket.
WEAKNESSES
Doesn't have much power in his legs and won't generate very much push in run game. Gets driven off the line of scrimmage at times. Shuffles and gets base too narrow when sliding to a high pass rush attack point. Lacks physical composure when bull rushed. Upper body and hands don't carry much power. Leaner when finding targets on second level.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 5 or 6
BOTTOM LINE
Donnal is limited from an athletic and strength standpoint but understands the nuances of the position and how to play with technique. With an ability to pass protect and experience at both guard and tackle, he should be drafted and has a legitimate shot at making a roster.
RELATED LINKS
-Lance Zierlein

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/andrew-donnal?id=2552352

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.

He said he wouldn't sign unless he was drafted no later than the 3rd round. Also read that after the draft was over, his Rep. was contacted by 25 teams.
EDIT: Was actually contacted by 25 teams after his name was cleared.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Battle would be better at RT than Donnal I'm basing that just on athletic ability alone. Again I will never understand why the Rams drafted Donnal, IMO, they were focused on another player and were shocked that he went and Donnal was a panic pick because everyone else had Donnal going much later, if not an UDRFA.

OVERVIEW
2014: Honorable mention All-Big Ten. Started all 13 games at right tackle. 2013: Played in 13 games at guard and tackle. 2012: Played in seven games, starting three at right guard before suffering torn ACL and missing final five games. 2011: Played in first four games. 2010: Redshirted.

PRO DAY RESULTS

3-cone drill: 7.51 seconds
Bench press: 23 reps of 225 pounds
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Not the prettiest tackle you will see, but is technically sound and works hard snap in and snap out. Succeeds with proper hand placement. Looks for work down the field or when play is in his area. Uses power step to meet inside pass rush moves. Shows ability to drop anchor even if it is a little deep in the pocket.
WEAKNESSES
Doesn't have much power in his legs and won't generate very much push in run game. Gets driven off the line of scrimmage at times. Shuffles and gets base too narrow when sliding to a high pass rush attack point. Lacks physical composure when bull rushed. Upper body and hands don't carry much power. Leaner when finding targets on second level.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 5 or 6
BOTTOM LINE
Donnal is limited from an athletic and strength standpoint but understands the nuances of the position and how to play with technique. With an ability to pass protect and experience at both guard and tackle, he should be drafted and has a legitimate shot at making a roster.
RELATED LINKS
-Lance Zierlein

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/andrew-donnal?id=2552352

I agree with you but I think he fit the mold that Fisher was looking for.

He said he wouldn't sign unless he was drafted no later than the 3rd round. Also read that after the draft was over, his Rep. was contacted by 25 teams.

I still can't believe anyone bought that.