Has Tre Mason played his last game for the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Has Tre Mason played his last game for the Rams?

Mark Inabinett

[www.al.com]

Running back Tre Mason's NFL career got off to a promising start. But after two seasons, he seems at a crossroads in his professional career, perhaps even a dead end after Los Angeles coach Jeff Fisher said the Rams "have to prepare ourselves that Tre's not going to be here."

After he set an Auburn single-season rushing record in 2013, Mason went to the St. Louis Rams with the 75th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. Mason didn't play in the Rams' first four games of his rookie season, then led the team in rushing in each of the remaining 12 games.

Mason finished with 765 yards and four touchdowns on 179 rushing attempts and caught 16 passes for 148 yards and one TD. The performance earned Mason a spot on the 2014 All-Rookie team.

But when the Rams used the 10th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft on Georgia running back Todd Gurley, Mason took a back seat.

It wasn't supposed to be that way initially. Coming off knee surgery, Gurley wasn't ready when his rookie season started. But neither was Mason, who missed the Rams' 2015 season-opener with a hamstring injury.

Mason returned for the second game of the season. But Gurley made his debut in the third game, and the next week, he ran for 146 yards in an upset of the Arizona Cardinals.

Gurley finished his rookie season with 1,106 yards and 10 touchdowns on 229 carries. Mason wound up with 207 yards and one TD on 75 carries – an average of 2.8 yards per carry, 2 yards short of Gurley's average.

Those might have been Mason's last carries for the Rams, who moved to Los Angeles in the offseason.

Mason did not participate in the Rams' offseason program. Los Angeles coach Jeff Fisher said Mason has been "excused for personal reasons" after the running back was arrested on March 5 in Hollywood, Fla.

At a press conference during the Rams' Organized Team Activities in Oxnard, Calif., earlier this month, Fisher was asked if Mason's absence had jumbled Los Angeles' depth chart at running back.

"No, it's settled right now," Fisher said. "I'm pleased with where it's going. Malcolm (Brown)'s done a great job there as the third, and Chase (Reynolds) is always a guy that you can count on. And we have a couple young guys that we're going to let play. In our minds, we just have to prepare ourselves that Tre's not going to be here."

Los Angeles has Benny Cunningham as its No. 2 running back right now. He ran for 140 yards on 37 carries and served as the Rams' kickoff returner last season. Like the other four running backs behind Gurley at OTAs, Cunningham was not drafted.

So could the Rams afford to part ways with Mason?

Financially, yes. Mason signed a four-year, $2,980,938 contract when he joined the NFL. But the only money guaranteed in the deal was the signing bonus of $637,500. According to the sports financial web site spotrac.com, Mason would count $318,750 against the Rams' salary cap in 2016 if he were released – not much of a hit in the world of "dead money."

Mason was arrested on March 5 after a traffic stop. According to the police report, Mason would not identify himself after being pulled over for going 75 mph in a 35-mph zone, and he would not get out his car when asked to do so. A Taser was used to remove Mason from his car, and he was tased again before being taken to a hospital.

Mason was charged with four misdemeanors -- resisting an officer/obstruction without violence, reckless driving, failure to register a motor vehicle and possession of marijuana in an amount less than 20 grams. Mason also was cited for failure to yield the right of way to an emergency vehicle.

From initially being pulled over for driving too fast, Los Angeles Rams running back Tre Mason wound up being tased twice by Hollywood (Fla.) Police officers. How could an incident that resulted in charges of two misdemeanors and two traffic offenses turn into that for the former Auburn football star?

An arrest warrant was issued for Mason when he was not present for his arraignment on April 11. Attorney H.T. Smith Jr. of Miami cleared up the matter three days later when he entered a not-guilty plea for Mason at a rescheduled arraignment. Smith told the court the notice of the arraignment had been mailed to an old address of Mason's, and the running back didn't have representation at that time.

In May, Smith requested a continuance from the County Court of the 17th Judicial Circuit in Broward County, telling the court "the defense has not been able to complete its investigation and preparation for trial." The calendar call for Mason's trial has been set for July 28, according to the Broward County Clerk of Courts web site.

A calendar call is when the parties (or their lawyers) involved in a case tell the court if they are ready to proceed to trial. If they are, the court sets a date.

The Rams will be the featured team on the annual HBO series "Hard Knocks" when training camp starts in about five weeks, which could put Mason's situation in the national spotlight.

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User
pulled over for going 75 mph in a 35-mph zone,

I thought pot had the opposite effect on driving?
upload_2016-6-21_18-11-31.jpeg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have read comments about how some felt Tre Mason was good for the Rams...never got that. He was good at Auburn, but never seemed to be able to find holes in the Oline, and viciously hit them. He tried to not do the Zac Stacy response to Todd Gurley, but I was put off by the false bravado when Gurley was still recovering in games 1-3 last year, as though he would be so good that Gurley wouldn't supplant him in the starter role. Then dude did what he did resisting arrest etc....He's someone that we no longer need, and I like Benny Cunningham a lot better anyway as the backup RB

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's someone that we no longer need, and I like Benny Cunningham a lot better anyway as the backup RB

I concur and add in Malcolm Brown and when it comes to Mason, it's time to just kiss and say goodbye.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I just don't know how the drop off was so big. Guess you can say the same about Richardson or Stacy, but Tre was more talented than either.

Hope he can bring it around, but I'm not sure about the likelihood of that.

DenverRam

Starter
I have read comments about how some felt Tre Mason was good for the Rams...never got that. He was good at Auburn, but never seemed to be able to find holes in the Oline, and viciously hit them. He tried to not do the Zac Stacy response to Todd Gurley, but I was put off by the false bravado when Gurley was still recovering in games 1-3 last year, as though he would be so good that Gurley wouldn't supplant him in the starter role. Then dude did what he did resisting arrest etc....He's someone that we no longer need, and I like Benny Cunningham a lot better anyway as the backup RB

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m33oxe0lnco

DenverRam

Starter
I think Tre would be a great relief back as i said in that Gurley thread. Hope he figures out how to get back on the field and stay on it.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Everyone looks good on a hi-light reel....All that I remember mostly is seeing him getting stuffed at the LOS.....The Lo-light film would be 20 times as long

Mason wasn't a starter until November but still rushed for 765 yards....had six rushes of 20+ yards in his first eight games. First RB in 2014 to go for 100 yards against Denver's no 1 rushing defense. Even if he didn't light the world on fire like Gurley, it was still a solid debut....second best rookie RB that year behind Jeremy Hill.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Mason Fumbled too much for me but I wish him good luck on another team. He was already getting into trouble before the taser arrest.

Nov 24, 2015: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_2fcaa77b-9e9f-58fb-a104-e2baee54c6fe.html

Rams notes: Mason, Battle missed team bus, sat out game

Meeting with reporters Monday in Earth City, Rams coach Jeff Fisher confirmed that second-year running back Tre Mason and rookie tackle Isaiah Battle missed the team bus from Rams Park to the airport Saturday and suffered the consequences Sunday.

“Isaiah and Tre were de-activated yesterday for violating club rules,’’ the coach pointed out. “They missed the team bus. So those are the rules. Fifty-one other guys made the bus, so they didn’t play.’’

Mason, who led the Rams last year as a rookie with 765 rushing yards and five touchdowns, has struggled to recapture that success this season as a complement to rookie sensation Todd Gurley. Mason, who missed the season opener with a hamstring injury, has played in seven games and made a pair of starts. He’s rushed for 129 yards on 44 carries — 2.9 per attempt — has six catches for 37 yards and has yet to find the end zone in 2015.

seaf.0.gif

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
"Don't tase me... twice... and once in the nuts.... BRO!"

And we've already discussed the frosted dreads decision. :redcard:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think that Fisher has already moved (Way Beyond) Mason's involvement here as a Ram in the RB discussion. The entire 2015 season was a prime example of very poor timing event taking place in Mason's career. The results from that season by Mason were mostly all bad. You can try to add your excuses & even factual reasons things went bad for Mason but when that miserable Mason season ended... what did Mason do? He just kept on dishing up more bad stuff.

If it were my decision... I would be completely with Fishers decision here & would put out any thoughts of savaging & continuing this sad drama saga any longer. There simply no need to spend more of his time on it. Cut it off!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mason wasn't a starter until November but still rushed for 765 yards....had six rushes of 20+ yards in his first eight games. First RB in 2014 to go for 100 yards against Denver's no 1 rushing defense. Even if he didn't light the world on fire like Gurley, it was still a solid debut....second best rookie RB that year behind Jeremy Hill.
jmho..I am not impressed by him..In fact, I was underwhelmed by him from his first carry....It seemed to me that his vision was poor and he rarely hit the hole with timing and ferocity. Where he would make a 5 yard gain, a better back would have gotten 10 yards. I won't bore you with stats which are not at all complimentary in the first few games last year, when he had the chance to really show us all that Gurley should rest for most the year, because he was doing so well....I think without Gurley last year, we would have been a 4-5 win team.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm in the minority, I guess. Kid had talent. Such a shame. Could have been a great one-two punch with Gurley. Maybe he didn't have the greatest vision but the kid had speed, pretty good one-cut runner, and seemed to have decent hands.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmmmm......Lets see what he looks like in pre-season first, before we start scooping dirt on his grave.:hiding::bueller::huh::notsure::popcorn: