Has the light turned on for Quick?/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Has the light turned on for Quick?
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7e512101-b557-5637-80ed-d80a1fda62c6.html

In a few weeks, a couple of months, it may be quickly forgotten. But in the here and now, Brian Quick’s 41-yard catch-and-run symbolizes all that he can be to a Rams offense in need of consistent, big-play receivers.

It shows a quarterback developing trust in a young wide receiver. And perhaps it’s a sign that the light switch has been turned on for the third-year pro from Appalachian State.

For two-plus seasons, the Rams have been working on Quick to use his body and wealth of athletic talent to make the tough catch. To aggressively pursue the contested ball in traffic and come down with it.

And there it was Saturday against Green Bay: a deep in-route, a leap, arms stretching for the ball, veteran Packers cornerback Sam Shields in tight coverage ... and a catch.

“Those are the type of plays that we expect him to make,” quarterback Sam Bradford said. “We’ve seen him make them all during OTAs. All during training camp. I think he’s had a great camp. But for him to go out there (Saturday) and do it in a game — that’s big. I think that’s a big step for our offense.”

As the first player taken in the second round of the 2012 draft, much was expected of Quick. But he has been slow to come around, making the adjustment from a smaller college (Appalachian State) with a limited playbook.

With playing time sparse, Quick managed just 29 catches for 458 yards and four touchdowns over his first two NFL seasons. That makes year three critical for Quick as a Ram and as an NFL player.

“He knows he’s got to pick it up,” wide receivers coach Ray Sherman said. “He knows that. And that’s the thing with young receivers — some guys come along faster than others. We knew this was gonna be a big year for him, and he’s really shown that he’s ready to accept that challenge.”

During Quick’s first two seasons in the league, the usual practice conversation with Sherman was one-sided and went something like this: “Quickie, do this. Quickie, do that. What about this, Quickie?”

With Sherman doing all the talking.

This season, things have at least reached the point where Quick knows what the mistake is when it happens before Sherman can even get a word in.

“Sometimes, I’ll just look and he’ll say: ‘I got it, Coach. I know,’” Sherman said. “So he knows what he’s doing and what he should do.”

Quick has never been considered a slacker on the practice field, but he’s turned things up a notch, starting with his offseason work at Proactive Sports Performance near Los Angeles.

He ran the hills in Runyon Canyon, worked out on the beach in Malibu at a performance center whose clients include Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick and Von Miller.

“It was a different atmosphere,” said Quick, who had roamed around to various places for his offseason training in previous years. “I did a lot of training there. We got good work in.”

Sherman has noticed that Quick has become a more mature student of the game, in terms of focus and note-taking in the meeting room, and studying at home.

“He wants to make sure that he does everything the right way,” Sherman said. “I’m talking about depth of routes. I’m talking about landmarks. I’m talking about your motions. He’s really taken it to another level, and that’s what I’m excited about.”

Whether it’s before practice, after practice, or sometimes both, Quick can be found catching balls from the JUGs machine at Rams Park, basically on a daily basis. As a result, drops have been few and far between during camp.

“That’s something I’ve got to do as a receiver,” Quick says. “Perfect my craft and make sure I do the things I need to do.”

The more consistent play from Quick on the practice field has built up trust with Bradford. You can talk all you want about play-calling and the lack of deep balls in the Rams’ offense — if the quarterback doesn’t trust the receiver, he’s not going to throw it deep, or throw it, period.

“I always tell them, you make sure to be where you’re supposed to be,” Sherman said. “So the quarterback will have confidence knowing that you’re gonna be there. That’s the important thing.

“If the quarterback doesn’t have confidence in you, he’s not throwing it to you. Seriously. That’s the way they are.”

And that simple fact, more than even the big catch itself, made Quick’s day Saturday.

“Sam trusted me,” Quick said. “He let it go. That’s the best part ... to have Sam trust me.”

Bradford trusted Quick so much, he came back to him three plays later. On this play, Quick was in the process of getting past Shields on another deep route. Shields saved a touchdown by grabbing onto Quick for a pass interference penalty. The 15-yard flag set up the Rams’ only touchdown of the game.

“It’s night and day with Quickie,” Bradford said. “He’s always been tremendously talented, but I think we’re starting to see him really put everything together.”

Or as coach Jeff Fisher put it: “I believe that he’s crossed the line now. He’s able to take what he’s doing in practice and carry it over to a game.”

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think it has. He's using his big body to fight for the ball. He's really good athlete to begin with. That 41 yard bomb from Bradford was a rocket. It looked like a 20 yard throw. He made an elite reception on that ball. He wasn't done there, though. He turned up field immediately and got more yards. Heck, he wasn't far from breaking it open. I'm a beleiver.

reggae

Has the light turned on for Quick?
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7e512101-b557-5637-80ed-d80a1fda62c6.html

In a few weeks, a couple of months, it may be quickly forgotten. But in the here and now, Brian Quick’s 41-yard catch-and-run symbolizes all that he can be to a Rams offense in need of consistent, big-play receivers.

It shows a quarterback developing trust in a young wide receiver. And perhaps it’s a sign that the light switch has been turned on for the third-year pro from Appalachian State.

For two-plus seasons, the Rams have been working on Quick to use his body and wealth of athletic talent to make the tough catch. To aggressively pursue the contested ball in traffic and come down with it.

And there it was Saturday against Green Bay: a deep in-route, a leap, arms stretching for the ball, veteran Packers cornerback Sam Shields in tight coverage ... and a catch.

“Those are the type of plays that we expect him to make,” quarterback Sam Bradford said. “We’ve seen him make them all during OTAs. All during training camp. I think he’s had a great camp. But for him to go out there (Saturday) and do it in a game — that’s big. I think that’s a big step for our offense.”

As the first player taken in the second round of the 2012 draft, much was expected of Quick. But he has been slow to come around, making the adjustment from a smaller college (Appalachian State) with a limited playbook.

With playing time sparse, Quick managed just 29 catches for 458 yards and four touchdowns over his first two NFL seasons. That makes year three critical for Quick as a Ram and as an NFL player.

“He knows he’s got to pick it up,” wide receivers coach Ray Sherman said. “He knows that. And that’s the thing with young receivers — some guys come along faster than others. We knew this was gonna be a big year for him, and he’s really shown that he’s ready to accept that challenge.”

During Quick’s first two seasons in the league, the usual practice conversation with Sherman was one-sided and went something like this: “Quickie, do this. Quickie, do that. What about this, Quickie?”

With Sherman doing all the talking.

This season, things have at least reached the point where Quick knows what the mistake is when it happens before Sherman can even get a word in.

“Sometimes, I’ll just look and he’ll say: ‘I got it, Coach. I know,’” Sherman said. “So he knows what he’s doing and what he should do.”

Quick has never been considered a slacker on the practice field, but he’s turned things up a notch, starting with his offseason work at Proactive Sports Performance near Los Angeles.

He ran the hills in Runyon Canyon, worked out on the beach in Malibu at a performance center whose clients include Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick and Von Miller.

“It was a different atmosphere,” said Quick, who had roamed around to various places for his offseason training in previous years. “I did a lot of training there. We got good work in.”

Sherman has noticed that Quick has become a more mature student of the game, in terms of focus and note-taking in the meeting room, and studying at home.

“He wants to make sure that he does everything the right way,” Sherman said. “I’m talking about depth of routes. I’m talking about landmarks. I’m talking about your motions. He’s really taken it to another level, and that’s what I’m excited about.”

Whether it’s before practice, after practice, or sometimes both, Quick can be found catching balls from the JUGs machine at Rams Park, basically on a daily basis. As a result, drops have been few and far between during camp.

“That’s something I’ve got to do as a receiver,” Quick says. “Perfect my craft and make sure I do the things I need to do.”

The more consistent play from Quick on the practice field has built up trust with Bradford. You can talk all you want about play-calling and the lack of deep balls in the Rams’ offense — if the quarterback doesn’t trust the receiver, he’s not going to throw it deep, or throw it, period.

“I always tell them, you make sure to be where you’re supposed to be,” Sherman said. “So the quarterback will have confidence knowing that you’re gonna be there. That’s the important thing.

“If the quarterback doesn’t have confidence in you, he’s not throwing it to you. Seriously. That’s the way they are.”

And that simple fact, more than even the big catch itself, made Quick’s day Saturday.

“Sam trusted me,” Quick said. “He let it go. That’s the best part ... to have Sam trust me.”

Bradford trusted Quick so much, he came back to him three plays later. On this play, Quick was in the process of getting past Shields on another deep route. Shields saved a touchdown by grabbing onto Quick for a pass interference penalty. The 15-yard flag set up the Rams’ only touchdown of the game.

“It’s night and day with Quickie,” Bradford said. “He’s always been tremendously talented, but I think we’re starting to see him really put everything together.”

Or as coach Jeff Fisher put it: “I believe that he’s crossed the line now. He’s able to take what he’s doing in practice and carry it over to a game.”
I for 1 have never doubted him. Some players just take longer. Especially if they start on a really bad team. Sky's the limit for this kid. That was evident on that 70 yard reception last year.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Fingers crossed that Quick really can sustain his improvement - continue getting better Brian. He sounds like a really hard worker, and has a great attitude. It might prove in time, that his struggles first and second year are the best thing that ever happen to him - forcing him to humble himself and realize the level of work that is needed to perfect his craft and become an outstanding NFL receiver. I hope so, for the Rams and for Brian Quick.

Wonderboy

Rookie
What could the Rams be this year with a top-notch group of receivers? It seems like they not only have depth, but high quality depth! What a break-through it could be if these guys pan out and we're running Brutt, Quick, Tavon, and Stedman out there in waves at other teams, especially with our power running game. If the Rams can stay healthy, this just has the feeling of "the year" that the break-though happens!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
This is Quicks break out year, he has the talent to be physically dominant. People forget that he hasnt played all that much football, I believe he only played one year in high school but was still good enough to get a scholarship to play in college. But thats also the reason why he was at the small school and not division 1. At App st they didnt run a play book so he just made plays on talent alone. It took him a couple of years to get comfortable at this level and now his ralent will once again shine.

FRO

Legend
Quick is definitely physically talented. I'm glad he is putting in the work. The thing for him is mentally. Be in the right places, playing physical and aggressive. If he gets the mental part down pat we have something. That catch Saturday was a great start. Let's hope he keeps building.

On a side note, if Quick does turn out to be a good productive player, the Snead will have turned from a good drafter to an elite drafter. The only real black eye he has had in his drafts were his 2012 second round. I doubt we get much from Pead, but every GM is going to miss here and there. The key is to not miss much in the first three rounds and to hit one or two mid/late/UDFA types later. So far Snead has done that.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The thing is - we've got to see it regularly to belive the hype. There have been several "false dawns" with Brian Quick. He needs to show consistent improvement. If he can - then yeah as FRO says, Les Snead take a bow my gloriously haired friend....

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the "light" has come on for him, I still expect it to "flicker" quite a bit...
But his surface is only now being scratched at.
If Sammy has enough time in the pocket to stay fairly comfortable this year, "Quickie" might become a big part of the success...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
At this point, I gotta think that Britt has been the best thing for Quick and his development thus far. He's showing more swagger this year so far on the field. The important thing now is how he responds when he makes a mistake.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I for 1 have never doubted him. Some players just take longer. Especially if they start on a really bad team. Sky's the limit for this kid. That was evident on that 70 yard reception last year.
After that 73 yarder last year I was really expecting big things too...Kinda sad Sam went down, then Clemens didn't seem to have the same connection....Quick, IMO, is the real deal. All he needs is targets.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
After that 73 yarder last year I was really expecting big things too...Kinda sad Sam went down, then Clemens didn't seem to have the same connection....Quick, IMO, is the real deal. All he needs is targets.
You said it Targets. Keep throwing the ball to him no matter what till he succeeds.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I love this thread. It's a positive, potential packed thread realizing the maturation of talent that long been void. Keep it coming ROD.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Only time will tell if this is just camp and preseason hype vs. the real deal.

For sure hoping for the latter but remember even Vincent Jackson (the guy Les Snead used to show long term project) didn't go off until his 4th year. This is Brian's 3rd year. I do believe that he gets more involved this year tho.

TShram03

UDFA
I'm thinking that Quick, Britt, Bailey and Austin will give us plenty of options this year.

I love that diverse skill set. Don't forget to add Cookie/Kendricks.

Thankfully Sted is back just in time for the gauntlet portion of the schedule. Really like the trust that has seemingly developed between Sam and Sted.

The 1 v. 1 work of Britt and Quick on the outside + Sted's overall consistency no matter where he's at on the field will, IMHO, unlock the potential of weapon X on our offense, Tavon Austin.

PLEASE stay healthy everybody!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I feel that that catch and run is all that I need to see from him to come to the conclusion that his "light" is on. He "gets it". He's a playmaker. We can move forward with him. We can expect that he will pull coverage and make plays. The idea that has has to be a "true #1" is just an idea. I'm over questioning him. Now it's just about scheme and production and consistency. The unraveling of this upcoming season will revel all of that in due course.

Go Rams!