Has the defense turned the corner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Has the D turned the corner?

• Yes - they have Wade's scheme down now and will be better than weeks 1-4

Votes: 23 44.2%
  • No - Seattle's O isn't a good measuring stick

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Let's wait and see for another couple of weeks

Votes: 27 51.9%

• Total voters

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
One of the bright spots yesterday, at least for me, was the overall play of the defense. Not perfect, but pretty damn good IMO. This might have been the best game they have played all year, Colts game included.

I realize that Seattle's offense isn't all that, but they are not total suckitude either. They have an Pro Bowl QB who's got a ring and made two trips to the dance in a fairly young career. Their WR's aren't world beaters, but then again, they're much better than what the Rams have had in the dark ages from the end of the GSOT until this season. Graham is still a pretty good TE. Their OL is their Achilles heel, but then again, teams like the 49ers didn't necessarily have great OLs and the D struggled mightily against them.

But yesterday's stat line was pretty damn good. Held them to a little over 240 yards of total offense, under 200 air yards and a meager 62 on the ground. This despite the fact that our offense/ST's gave up 5 turnovers and continually put the Rams D's backs to the wall. Still, they responded pretty well, and to give up only 16 points in a game with all that was working against them from the other two units says something. A lot of guys on our D that have been here the past several years have developed some resilience from having a bad O and responded yesterday. Furthermore, it seemed like they played Wade's scheme better than they have all season.

So, what say you, ROD - has the D turned the corner?

TexasRam

Legend
I was clamoring for Johnson to get more
Playing time. Now he’s our starter. I think he will have some growing pains as a rookie will but he will provide a big upgrade over Mo.

Marqui Christian had some nice plays.

Webster is settling in nicely.

Barron is making plays, huge test this week.

Quinn is losing playing time.

Joyner coming back.

Olgeltree being used as a blitzed more.

Lots of positive changes happening for the better. I think we are going to be much better vs the pass.

The HuGE question is can we stop the run. That’s what Jacksonville wants to do, besides throw to the TE.

We will find out this week if we can stop the run. So let’s revisit after this Jacksonville game.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Stands to reason they'll show improvement over the season. Knew they weren't as bad as they were showing. Nevertheless, this group has limitations.

Don't have the pass rush or the secondary to stop good offenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I do think they have for the most part.

The back end is much more solid now, fewer busts in coverages with more consistent execution. Where they need to improve now is up front, in order to climb to that top third range of defenses. Not sure they have the players in the front seven to do that, but they do have a difference maker in AD so I don't think it's an impossibility that they get to that level as we go on.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The back end is much more solid now, fewer busts in coverages with more consistent execution. Where they need to improve now is up front, in order to climb to that top third range of defenses. Not sure they have the players in the front seven to do that, but they do have a difference maker in AD so I don't think it's an impossibility that they get to that level as we go on.

Don't forget Brockers. I really think the weakness is in the LB corps, although Barron is playing pretty good. 'Tree had a decent game yesterday. Just still not sure that Quinn and Barwin are the OLB's we need, and am beginning to wonder if Rob a) is better in a 4-3, b) is never going to be the same after two years of injuries, or C) both. Plus, I'm liking the way Longacre seems to be seizing the moment when he gets the call.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Wade is figuring out how to use his players. I believe Quinn and Barwin will not be here next year, at least I hope they are gone.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It is still too early too tell but they were much more reliable last game. If all 3 phases could play well, we can beat anyone. It just seems like when the offense and special teams are rolling, the defense can't figure it out. When the defense is holding it down, suddenly our offense and special teams can't protect the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Don't forget Brockers. I really think the weakness is in the LB corps, although Barron is playing pretty good. 'Tree had a decent game yesterday. Just still not sure that Quinn and Barwin are the OLB's we need, and am beginning to wonder if Rob a) is better in a 4-3, b) is never going to be the same after two years of injuries, or C) both. Plus, I'm liking the way Longacre seems to be seizing the moment when he gets the call.

I consider the 3 DL to be pretty damn good. Smart being a rook can lead to some up/down play but he's solid and AD compensates for that a bit.

It's definitely the edge rushers and contain that are the concern and that's why I say I'm not sure they have the players. I haven't written Barwin off just yet, I mean the guy is getting RT matchups so all he's got to do is be solid in scheme to carry his weight. It's the blindside pressure that's been missing and that will hold this unit back most likely.

Longacre has done a good job of helping out but he's a depth/effort guy. Quinn really is a big part of the equation on how good this defense can get though. Key consideration no matter how we slice it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think, even though we lost, the "D" was really starting to click against the Hag's!
We have 15 Sacks so far this Season, I expect that number to start Sky rocketing considering who the Next 3 QB's are that we face!(y);):D Wade's just getting started!!:mrburnsevil:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

TED RATH!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The wait a few weeks option doesn't make too much sense.

The Rams don't play a truly competent offense until....the Saints?

Jaguars - okay run game (I've had LF in fantasy so watched a lot of offensive snaps - he's only had the one long run and aside from that is under 4 ypc). Terrible passing game.

Cardinals - bad OL, bad run game, okay pass game

Giants - bad OL, every WR hurt, bad run game

Texans - closest to being competent...but I'm not sold jut yet. I know, I know...Watson has put up 649 TDs...but still, not sold yet

Vikings - meh

Texans and Vikings are the closest to a league average offense on this list...but still...look at the QBs we're fortunate enough to be playing:

Bortles (without Robinson)
Palmer (without David Johnson)
Giants (without OBJ and other WRs)
Texans (rookie QB, game at home)
Vikings (lol....Case Keenum?)

Anyway, I think the defense is here. Seattle's offense was rocking the past two weeks before our game.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Jaguars - okay run game (I've had LF in fantasy so watched a lot of offensive snaps - he's only had the one long run and aside from that is under 4 ypc). Terrible passing game.

Texans - closest to being competent...but I'm not sold jut yet. I know, I know...Watson has put up 649 TDs...but still, not sold yet

Vikings - meh

Texans and Vikings are the closest to a league average offense on this list...but still...look at the QBs we're fortunate enough to be playing:

Anyway, I think the defense is here. Seattle's offense was rocking the past two weeks before our game.

I get your point, but ... if the Rams D has turned the corner, it should be able to put the clamps down on these offenses. Remember, we played the 49ers with Brandon Wheeden at QB and with Pierre Garcon as the only real threat at WR ... and proceeded to cough up 39 points and too many big plays that let them hang around. I'm not sure I'd call the 49ers offense even average, but they looked stellar against our D a few weeks ago.

While those opponents don't represent the best measuring stick, they will tell us something about the Rams D. If the D is able to shut them down or significantly slow them down, that should be taken as an indication that they are at least making progress, if not having turned the corner.

TexasRam

Legend
I would say we ar about as close as we will get this year.

I think our defense is around a top 15-20 defense until more talent is added next year.

Our liability is hugely at LB. our CB’s are #2 level CB’s.

But we might look pretty good for the next few weeks.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I would say we ar about as close as we will get this year.

I think our defense is around a top 15-20 defense until more talent is added next year.

Our liability is hugely at LB. our CB’s are #2 level CB’s.

But we might look pretty good for the next few weeks.

I definitely agree about our liability at LB. Barron is playing good, but I wonder how long he can hold up. 'Tree was better against the Hawks, but I need to see more. I'm not feeling any warm fuzzies about the OLB's right now.

Ram65

Legend

Vikings - meh

I took the wait a couple weeks. Good points about the future offenses the Rams will face.

Let's see if this better defense is a trend even against weak offenses. They still have some coverage issues. Webster was giving some big cushion. Jacksonville a better run team than the Hags so that will be a test. This is a good chance over this stretch to get the rotations solidified and get the safeties working together when Joyner returns. The defense has a good start to turning the corner but, could still get some more refinement.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams have made a couple of adjustments and getting some players back will give us a better idea of what we have going forward.

1. Moving Brockers to Defensive End....Smart Move by DL Coach Bill Johnson & Sonofbum freeing up Brockers to make more plays also Tanzel Smart has done a nice job at NT although undersized and Morgan Fox is starting to get PT over Westbrooks.
  2. John Johnson to SS....Johnson had a strong first game taking over for an ineffective Maurice Alexander, who IMHO, did not have the mental makeup to play in Wade's scheme, but the Boston College grad seized the day and when Joyner returns the "J" team could be quite a dynamic duo.
  3. Kayvon Webster returning has been a major asset and Wade Phillips pointed that out in his press conferences when he was out, how he was sorely missed. @jakebogen95 confidant has solidified the secondary and combined with Trumaine Johnson gives all of us hope at CB moving forward until 2018.
Overall major challenge coming up because the Jaguars can flat out run the football, their Head Coach Doug Marone is a former Offensive Line Coach and Leonard Fournette is a horse and the Jags ride him like he's a ten cent pony....Control the run, keep Bortles from escaping the pocket and don't turn the ball over and the Rams have a good shot of winning this game and please stop taking Gurley out of the game too.

And BTW don't be shocked if we see the blue uniforms again as I would not be shocked if the Jags don their white uni's in the hot Florida sun.