Has Joe Barksdale claimed the starting gig at RT?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm a more traditional fan; I don't particularly lock in and study line-play during a game.

But... there are guys here that do. What did you see of Joe Barksdale?

From my vantage point, he's holding his own out there.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Re: Is Joe Barksdale claiming the starting gig at RT?

He's doing better than Saffold right now. :tooth:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I only saw him get beat once that caught my eye, however I saw him with a couple great blocks and he seemed pretty solid. I was trying to pay attention since he is coming by.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think he's a lot better than people give him credit for. I still would like to draft a young OT in the draft, but I would think that Barksdale gives us an option at RT if we don't feel like we can get the top talent guys and want one to groom. He doesn't get enough credit, that's for sure.

…..

Legend
Repetition and ....reps period. He said in his blog how difficult it was to be a backup in the NFL based on the lack of snaps. Well, thats not an issue at the moment.

Saffold will be back, but in the end we're a stronger team because of his missed time. At least we can rest easier knowing Joe is filling in well and therefore no need to rush Saffold.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't think he's going to stay the starter when Saffold comes back.

I do, however, feel good knowing at the end of the year when we cut Saffold's salary, we will have someone in place that has started and may not need to draft a ROT if we choose not to.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO Barksdale still struggles with the outside rush Saffold does a better job pushing the DL away form the QB because he has longer arms. Against the Texans & J.J. Watt, we'll see how they handle that defensive line, but when it comes to pass protection I still give the edge to Saffold.

fearsomefour

Legend
In my opinion watching Barksdale his biggest asset is his strength. He is a solid run blocker and when he locks on during pass protection it is over, I have never seen his guy get off his block when he gets both hands solidly on him. The weak spot in Barksdales game is speed rushers. He can ususally JUST get the guy wide of the pocket, the problem is it makes the QB step up in the pocket. This can lead to bad things and hits even if Barksdales player doesnt directly get the sack. But all things considered I think he is doing well and we are much better with him than without him. I dont know if I would sit Saffold when he is healthy, probably not, but, I think Barksdale will be starting at RT next year or in a competition with a first round T for the starters job.