Has anyone had a long healthy career after 2nd ACL surgery?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I want to bring Sam back. Call my a mom or a fan boy, but the guy has too much talent just to throw away. He spent most of his career here on a crap roster, now that the team is good he is hurt. It sucks, but I hope we get to see him next year lead us to the playoffs.

In the 70's, I saw this documentary about a test pilot..... we have the technology
upload_2014-12-20_11-57-26.jpeg
upload_2014-12-20_11-57-35.jpeg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's football everybody gets injured.. let's just hope the rams and Bradford can catch a break.
Well he's only been able to complete 2 of his last 6 seasons so there's hope and there's hope for a miracle

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I would LOVE if ACL tears were treated like Tommy John. Get cut, 1 year rehab, 1 year to get back to form, year 3 100%.

Honestly, if I'm Bradford, I'd consider going somewhere to be the backup for this very reason. If he tries to come back too fast and gets a 3rd ACL tear, he's pretty much done. But some place like Dallas, he can take his time to rehab and collect a few million to hold a clipboard. If he does get thrown in, at least he has a top notch oline in front of him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
After Adrian Petersons miraculous recovery, everyone thinks it is normal to come back like that. It is not. AP is the exception, not the rule.

ram007

Starter
Carson Palmer once said it takes 2 year to feel completely right and confident about the knee. This means Bradford may not be his old self when he is back for a little while. May be he struggles the early part of season but should be full speed over the last 12-10 games in 2015.

Big Unit

UDFA
At this point, I'm less worried about long healthy career than I am next year. Next year, we really don't have any better options (and selling our future for one of the top two, especially Winston, is NOT a better option if it's even possible.) Bring Bradford back, have a 1A QB waiting in the wings if possible and if he gets hurt again, just let his contract expire.
I agree 100%. Whatever you think of Bradford's abilities, he's at least workmanlike - which I think will be sufficient next year, particularly if he begins to trust some of the wide receivers. Next year is the key; the franchise can adapt after that; but we can't afford another year of 7-9.

Will Bradford recover? No way to know, but it's been his left knee, correct? One pundit indicated he'd be more concerned if it were the right knee, the knee from which a QB has to push off to throw.

Keep him next year; keep Hill or upgrade if you can do so without giving up the farm; and then draft a prospect, probably not in the first round, but maybe one round before he's projected. Then hope for the best.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Did Davis also have a significant shoulder surgery and torn up ankle?

The injuries keep mounting.
How Is that even relevant? Sam's shoulcer injury from *college* has been a non issue and his "torn up" ankle from *2011* was nothing more than a sprain because a leaky OL allowed him to be rolled up on.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How Is that even relevant? Sam's shoulcer injury from *college* has been a non issue and his "torn up" ankle from *2011* was nothing more than a sprain because a leaky OL allowed him to be rolled up on.
How is it not relevant? Sam has only completed 2 full seasons out of the last 6.
Call it bad luck, injury prone etc. whatever it is, it's a huge gamble thinking he's capable of playing 16

moklerman

Warner-phile
How is it not relevant? Sam has only completed 2 full seasons out of the last 6.
Call it bad luck, injury prone etc. whatever it is, it's a huge gamble thinking he's capable of playing 16
I agree that it's a gamble but it's rare to find a QB who gets hit a lot who doesn't then miss time. I think it today's NFL you have to plan on your QB missing time unless, <gasp> you shore up your o-line.

We've all been harping on it and teams know they have to do it but that's where the Rams continue to come up short.

With Bradford, moving forward do you think he can handle the normal punishment that a QB must absorb? Because the Rams need to get down to "normal". They are still one of the worst at protecting the QB. Until(if?) that improves, then maybe it is best to move on from Bradford. Just have a stable of young guys who are interchangeable and can play musical chairs at QB while the hurt one is on the mend. That just means a mediocre to low level of play but if the line isn't going to protect the QB position, then that's what you have to plan around.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I agree that it's a gamble but it's rare to find a QB who gets hit a lot who doesn't then miss time. I think it today's NFL you have to plan on your QB missing time unless, <gasp> you shore up your o-line.

That's true - there are only a handful of ironmen QBs out there (both Mannings, Brady, Flacco, and ...?). But while a lot of QBs are like Romo or Rodgers, and miss a few games here or there, Bradford ends up on IR early in the season. In 6 years he's had 4 bad injuries, with 3 of them being major season ending ones early in the year.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The Drs have nothing to gain and their reputations to lose by clearing him too soon, IMO...For that reason alone, I can't really believe that he came back too soon...Of course, I'm certainly not a medico by any means...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm hopeful, because with a weak FA class and an even weaker draft, he might be the only thing we can root for in this next coming year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We've all been harping on it and teams know they have to do it but that's where the Rams continue to come up short.

With Bradford, moving forward do you think he can handle the normal punishment that a QB must absorb? Because the Rams need to get down to "normal". They are still one of the worst at protecting the QB. Until(if?) that improves, then maybe it is best to move on from Bradford. Just have a stable of young guys who are interchangeable and can play musical chairs at QB while the hurt one is on the mend. That just means a mediocre to low level of play but if the line isn't going to protect the QB position, then that's what you have to plan around.
What starting qb's have missed time?
The offensive line has had its issues but I don't buy that as a reason for Sam's injuries. The Giants oline is awful, until this year the Cowboys were terrible, Green Bay not so good. Eli hasn't missed a game Romo 15 games missed in 8 seasons. Rodgers 9 games in 8 season. Bradford? 34 games missed in 5 seasons?
I don't trust him at all. I thought he was extremely timid in preseason last year which may have attributed to getting hurt.

moklerman

Warner-phile
What starting qb's have missed time?
The offensive line has had its issues but I don't buy that as a reason for Sam's injuries. The Giants oline is awful, until this year the Cowboys were terrible, Green Bay not so good. Eli hasn't missed a game Romo 15 games missed in 8 seasons. Rodgers 9 games in 8 season. Bradford? 34 games missed in 5 seasons?
I don't trust him at all. I thought he was extremely timid in preseason last year which may have attributed to getting hurt.
Do you really want to see a list of all the QB's who've missed time recently?

If your QB is taking hits, injuries are likely to follow. In Bradford's particular case, granted, the particular plays where he was injured weren't devastating hits but that isn't really the point. In Carolina he was running because of protection breakdown and against Cleveland, he was getting hit because Long missed his assignment.

Being a Rams fan, I don't expect the kind of good luck that it'll take for Bradford to bounce back and have a few year run of relatively injury free seasons. Of course, that skepticism extends to the Rams finding a franchise QB at all so I'm left with "the Devil you know".

There's no downside to the Rams improving their line though so I think that should be the focus.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you really want to see a list of all the QB's who've missed time recently?

If your QB is taking hits, injuries are likely to follow. In Bradford's particular case, granted, the particular plays where he was injured weren't devastating hits but that isn't really the point. In Carolina he was running because of protection breakdown and against Cleveland, he was getting hit because Long missed his assignment.

Being a Rams fan, I don't expect the kind of good luck that it'll take for Bradford to bounce back and have a few year run of relatively injury free seasons. Of course, that skepticism extends to the Rams finding a franchise QB at all so I'm left with "the Devil you know".

There's no downside to the Rams improving their line though so I think that should be the focus.
Seems like you're moving the goal posts here. I am not opposed to improving the oline, that's always a good plan. But the idea that an improved line is going to help Sam stay injury free? That's not gonna happen. Qbs get hit with the best lines in football. And like you said, sam didn't take any viscous hits with his last 2 injury.
As for the injured qb list? Yeah is love to see that. Palmer is one, however prior to this season, he hadn't missed many starts in the last decade.