Has anyone else seen this from AD?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Twice the last game I saw AD stop and walk as others pursued the ballcarrier. I realize he should conserve his energy to play more snaps but this was the first time I actually saw it.

This is not a criticism. Aaron Donald is the greatest football player of all time. It just surprised me is all.

TXRams86

The Infamous
When you're getting double and triple teamed, you're gonna get tired and probably not in the best position to run down a ball carrier at that point. He doesn't run a 4.4 either.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's been getting gassed. This is why I keep saying next year he'll be a rotation pass rusher they move around. Ideally we'll have Turner at 3T early downs then slide him over and insert AD for passing downs. But that requires a better rotation group so it's a next year thing.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I can't imagine not only being double teamed at the highest rate in the NFL but also triple teamed at the highest rate in the NFL. Must be exhausting. Not to say that AD is taking plays off he certainly does not, however, he is smart enough to know when he's a non factor on any given play and saves his energy for the next down. He's really been doing it his whole career other than maybe his rookie or second season. He's been dominate for as long as he has for a reason.

It sucks he can't stay young forever :(

dang

Legend
I can't imagine not only being double teamed at the highest rate in the NFL but also triple teamed at the highest rate in the NFL. Must be exhausting. Not to say that AD is taking plays off he certainly does not, however, he is smart enough to know when he's a non factor on any given play and saves his energy for the next down. He's really been doing it his whole career other than maybe his rookie or second season. He's been dominate for as long as he has for a reason.

It sucks he can't stay young forever :(
I’d be interested on the stats re: holding calls against OL players “blocking” Donald year to year. I don’t want to assume they’ve decreased but that may contribute to him conceding pursuit sooner on some plays this year. Why excerpt energy without any chance of impacting the play (via tackle, sack, hurry, QB hit, holding call, etc).

Last edited:

Turducken

Starter
Twice the last game I saw AD stop and walk as others pursued the ballcarrier. I realize he should conserve his energy to play more snaps but this was the first time I actually saw it.

This is not a criticism. Aaron Donald is the greatest football player of all time. It just surprised me is all.
I saw that too. I think it came after one of our rotational DT's went down. Figured he was gassed and knew he couldn't get to Lamar.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I saw him stop chasing Lamar on a play and said to myself that's odd but smart, you aint catching him

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with @rdlkgliders. I think he's very savvy and knew it would be wasted energy and other players were in the vicinity. Top top player, love him.

RamWoodie

Legend
The truth is all this year they tolerate holding against Donald and my eyes don't lie to me.

He's that good!!!

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG

I saw that, too... Figured he was conserving energy!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's been getting gassed. This is why I keep saying next year he'll be a rotation pass rusher they move around. Ideally we'll have Turner at 3T early downs then slide him over and insert AD for passing downs. But that requires a better rotation group so it's a next year thing.
AD, you lazy bastid! ~Merlin

TexasRam

Legend
If I was getting double and triple teamed every play and also held every other play I would probably be pretty damn gassed after a few plays.