Harkey and Cook questionable for Sunday, Joyner and Roberson ruled out.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Allright Coach and Dag. you boys better knock it off. Don't make me turn this car around.
Seriously, who better to fill in for McQ than someone w/ experience @ center, as opposed to releasing a player to bring in someone temporarily.
I don't have the answer, but I sure hope our coaching staff does.

GO RAMS!!!!

I've had my time out.. I'm cool. :cool:

You had better not turn this car around if were heading to San Diego. lol

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Allright Coach and Dag. you boys better knock it off. Don't make me turn this car around.
Seriously, who better to fill in for McQ than someone w/ experience @ center, as opposed to releasing a player to bring in someone temporarily.
I don't have the answer, but I sure hope our coaching staff does.

GO RAMS!!!!

Betting on all three playing not sure who the backup long snapper is, it could be anybody not necessarily one of the Centers, but if McQuaide is not able to play the Rams might actually make a roster move because that position is so crucial albeit for just a few games.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Betting on all three playing not sure who the backup long snapper is, it could be anybody not necessarily one of the Centers, but if McQuaide is not able to play the Rams might actually make a roster move because that position is so crucial albeit for just a few games.

Why wouldn't it be one of the regular Centers? Just asking man. Makes sense to me.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why wouldn't it be one of the regular Centers? Just asking man. Makes sense to me.

It could be, but it could also be a reserve LB or TE, In fact I'm quite sure reserve TE Alex Bayer has long snapped!
Bowling Green TE ALEX BAYER appears to be the No. 1 option for long snapping, with Tennessee C JAMES STONE being the second option.
http://gbnreport.com/shrinereport.html

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
It could be, but it could also be a reserve LB or TE, In fact I'm quite sure reserve TE Alex Bayer has long snapped!
Bowling Green TE ALEX BAYER appears to be the No. 1 option for long snapping, with Tennessee C JAMES STONE being the second option.
http://gbnreport.com/shrinereport.html

Thank you kind Sir.. That's an answer we're looking for.. I was just doing an educated guess my friend. Didn't realize Bayer had deep snapping ability. That said what would you think if not knowing that? You would make an educated guess the other centers would get time there in practice? :cool:

Appreciated the info man.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thank you kind Sir.. That's an answer we're looking for.. I was just doing an educated guess my friend. Didn't realize Bayer had deep snapping ability. That said what would you think if not knowing that? You would make an educated guess the other centers would get time there in practice? :cool:

Actually I was a long snapper in High School in the Air Force and in College (University of Dayton) the long snappers are not the actual centers because usually they like players that can run to some degree for special teams, however, I did play center.

Around the league many long snappers are usually former linebackers/defensive ends or Tight Ends. McQuaide was reserve linebacker at The Ohio State University for example.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Actually I was a long snapper in High School in the Air Force and in College (University of Dayton) the long snappers are not the actual centers because usually they like players that can run to some degree for special teams, however, I did play center.

Around the league many long snappers are usually former linebackers/defensive ends or Tight Ends. McQuaide was reserve linebacker at The Ohio State University for example.

Cool U of Dayton eh? Not too far from Columbus now. :cool: I was just going by high school. :oops: I went to a small school though. Not sure how it was done in pro's college. We wanted someone reliable to snap the ball on kicks and punts. I wasn't a center but they tried me there. Long snapping was much more difficult. But that said, if a center in the pro's can snap in a shotgun situation, he should be able to long snap? Just asking, but I get what you mean above. I mean in an emergency a center should work? I can see why they want the cat to run though.

Just saying, in an emergency I want the snap to get there.. I don't need the cat to be able to run. if the snap is botched we're in a ton of trouble..

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Fisher is still hedging his bet on Long's return. He doesn't want to release anyone because if he winds up putting someone on IR this week he can bring Long back. His hand will be forced by next week though.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Great info.
How often do we discuss the long snapper?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Questionable, play McQuaide. He can hold it together for the few plays he's in.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great info.
How often do we discuss the long snapper?

Only when they make a bad snap or in this case replacing one because of injury. The best thing a long snapper can hope for is to totally go unnoticed from a snapping perspective, however, contributing on special teams is a huge plus.

Rams have had a few good ones over the years in Jeff Robinson, Chris Massey and Jake McQuaide. Some might have forgotten, but there were some tumultuous times during the Richie Brooks years with long snappers remember Joe Valerio? First deep snap as a Ram right over the punter's head. Nobody cares about a deep snapper until the snaps start to go awry.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Only when they make a bad snap or in this case replacing one because of injury. The best thing a long snapper can hope for is to totally go unnoticed from a snapping perspective, however, contributing on special teams is a huge plus.

Rams have had a few good ones over the years in Jeff Robinson, Chris Massey and Jake McQuaide. Some might have forgotten, but there were some tumultuous times during the Richie Brooks years with long snappers remember Joe Valerio? First deep snap as a Ram right over the punter's head. Nobody cares about a deep snapper until the snaps start to go awry.

You got that right, Den.

Our run at long snapper has been as good as place kickers. We are spoiled.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You got that right, Den.

Our run at long snapper has been as good as place kickers. We are spoiled.

Now we just need to find a Quarterback so we can be spoiled by winning on Sunday. Because that should be our fun day! (Sorry I could not resist).

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert

Did some more research and found this article that provides more insight into Bayer's long snapping background:

Here is a section of the article from the article:

Bayer has good size (6-4, 257) and athleticism (4.77 in the 40; 31.5 inch vertical jump). He is a two-time all-MAC third-team selection with an intriguing array of skills. Not only can he block and catch, but he can long snap and hold for kicks, as well.

During his redshirt season at Bowling Green, the coaches started grooming him to be the heir to the long-snapping job, which was held by a junior at the time. That all changed during Bayer's redshirt freshman season.

"The following year, our regular holder had two or three bad holds and I went up to the coaches, because they were asking around," Bayer recalled. "I was the holder in high school so I told them I could do that. So, they started working me out there. A week or two later, the holder had another bad hold and it became my spot, and it stuck for the rest of the year and the rest of my career."

Bayer was back to snapping at the East-West Shrine Game and started working with Justin Snow. Snow snapped for the Colts for 11 seasons and the Redskins for part of a 12th.

"That was a lot of help because I had never really been coached at long snapping," Bayer said. "We had a coach there (at Bowling Green) but I don't think he really had any experience at it."​

Good article on Bayer and his skill set. Worth a read.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
INJURY REPORT
Four injured players _ defensive tackle Alex Carrington (knee), wide receiver Damian Williams (hamstring), defensive back back Lamarcus Joyner (groin) and cornerback Marcus Roberson _ have already been ruled out of Sunday's game.

Tight ends Cory Harkey (quadriceps) and Jared Cook (back) are questionable. So is long snapper Jake McQuaide, who sat out Friday's workout with a back issue.

Linebackers James Laurinaitis (foot), Will Herring (foot), Daren Bates (groin) are probable. Guard Davin Joseph is also probable.
On Offense:
Having your main hole opener starting FB Harkey & your starting TE hurting is not an easy thing for Lance Kendricks to overcome. I saw the flying helmet hit with the Denver player attached to it right to the middle of the back with Jared Cook going out of bounds it was a hard blow. Great time for TE Alex Bayer to get some triple action as a deep snapper, TE & Maybe some H-Back too. Alex Bayer has wonderful hands in the passing game. He has yet to line up on the field in our offense during regular season. During pre-season he caught 10 passes for 135 yds @ 13.5 yds a catch.

As far as what was Davin Joseph's issues this past week were????where he missed some practice...Fisher may have scheduled him some Pink Spa room time to calm him down & some hair removal performed ...cuz he was as mean as a ole Grizzled bear with a tooth ache last week against the Broncos.

On Defense:
DT Alex Carrington just means more action for Ethan Westbrooks. Even though Ethan has had no where near the on field time as Alex Carrington has Ethan he has 5 x the tackles....I prefer Ethan anyway. When Chris Long returns I think Alex Carrington is a prime candidate to send packing....I have seen nothing that would want me to see anymore of him as a Ram.

Having Bates available to back up JL who has a nagging foot injury would be comforting. With our starting Joyner, Nickel still out & CB Roberson out leaving us again with only 3 CB's sure makes FS/Nickel Rodney McLeod that much more valuable to this team. On CB Roberson .....had a injury history as a Gator. Roberson only started 4 games last season as a Senior due to injury. Even with good coverage skills it may have been the very big reason Roberson went UNdrafted.

Last edited: