Happy Thanksgiving Mock!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not only do you get your fill of turkey, stuffing, ham, etc. today but you also get your fill of a jrry32 mock off-season. I made some tweaks on my last once but you'll see a lot of similarities. I had been budgeting for $135 million to be conservative but from what I'm reading, it seems fairly likely that the salary cap will be $140+ million so I bumped it up to $140 million for this mock.
Restructure
Sam Bradford - 2 years $16 million($8 million guaranteed...Full $8 million first year base)
Total Cap Savings: $4.9 million
Total Cap Room: $14.4 million

Released
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Eugene Sims - $1.9 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $20.6 million
Total Cap Room: $35 million

Re-signed Players
Joe Barksdale - 5 years $30 million($5 million first year)
Kenny Britt - 3 years $15 million($5 million first year...after hearing Laurinaitis's comments about how much of a positive influence Britt has been for our young WRs and how he has instilled confidence in them...I felt comfortable enough with his character to give him a longer term deal)
Lance Kendricks - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year)
Alex Carrington - 1 year $1.5 million
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Tim Barnes - RFA($1.4 million - Original round)
Johnny Hekker - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $17.3 million
Total Cap Room: $17.7 million

Free Agency
Larry Fitzgerald WR
FitzDiveMAIN.jpg

2 years $16 million($8 million first year)

This one might be a pipe dream but Fitz is set to count $23.6 million against the cap for Arizona next year. They might be able to convince him to restructure but if they can't, I think they have to cut him. In that case, I think he's a great fit here as a veteran leader (along with Britt) on the WR corp. Plus, Fitz has run 57% of his routes from the slot this year so he'd give us a big, talented target out of the slot and could rotate with Quick/Britt outside. His hands are as good as ever(0 drops on the year) and his game has never relied on speed. I think this is a player that Bradford would love.

C.J. Mosley DT
c.j.-mosley-suspended.jpg

1 year $1.7 million

Rotational DT known for his run stuffing ability to replace Kendall Langford.

Trades
St. Louis trades HB Zac Stacy
New England trades 6th round pick

St. Louis trades Pick #14
Philadelphia trades Pick #26, 2nd, and 4th

St. Louis trades 2015 5th and 2016 conditional 4th(becomes a 3rd if Glennon throws 20+ TDs)
Tampa Bay trades QB Mike Glennon

We trade Stacy because we have too much talent at HB while New England needs a power HB with Ridley hitting FA. Plus, Vereen is also set to hit FA.

Philadelphia moves up for a pass rusher like Shane Ray or Dante Fowler Jr.

After watching 3 of the 5 games that Glennon started, I came away with the opinion that he's definitely worth the trade here. If Bradford does get hurt, we'd be in capable enough hands. I think Glennon fits the mold for our offense well. Had some bad moments but also made some wow throws. He really does a great job of placing the ball when throwing to the sidelines and down the field. Although he had a some bad overthrows in the games I watched too. Overall, I thought his pocket awareness, presence, and movement was good although he's not mobile so he'll need to be protected. Arm strength is solid but nothing special. Like I said, I think he's a good fit for our system and still has upside worth developing.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #26 - T.J. Clemmings OT/OG Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnHskA1dtKM

Analysis: Some of you might say, "Who?" but trust me, this is a name worth knowing. Clemmings might just pull a Lane Johnson and go MUCH MUCH higher than this. He was invited to the Senior Bowl. He's currently the starting RT for Pittsburgh. He played DE from 2010 to 2012 before moving over to RT. Very athletic kid that's a bit lean at 6'6" 305. He has growth potential and can likely play at 315-320 in the NFL if you want him to. What cannot be denied are his physical gifts. Clemmings explodes off the ball while run blocking, has great leg drive after latching on, and has the power to move people off the LOS. He's also a very talented and adept blocker in space and on the second level. He blows people up when you get him moving. His punch timing and placement need to improve. He also needs to come off the ball lower in the run game at times. That all said, this is a kid that could be an incredible OG for us and has the athleticism to stick at OT if needed. Any LB or DB would be right to be shaking in their cleats if Clemmings came around the corner while pulling. Ty Sambrailo was another name I considered and I absolutely love the way he plays through the whistle but I feel like Clemmings is a more athletically talented player.

Round 2 Pick #14 - Nate Orchard DE Utah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefj9gCrvWQ

Analysis: Gotta continue to think about the future especially in terms of cost cutting. Chris Long has been great for us but he's getting up there in age and has a huge contract. I think it's time to start thinking about his heir apparent. Orchard was recruited to Utah as a WR and has gone from 195 to 255 during his time there. He currently leads the NCAA with 17.5 sacks this year. He has an explosive get off with active hands and has been wreaking havoc with his agility and fluidity. He does a great job of pressing the corner and then beating OTs back inside. He's so quick inside that most OTs just aren't able to redirect and stop him. He is explosive enough off the LOS to win the corner and bend around the edge. He also has active, powerful hands with good understanding of punch timing and placement. Finally, he's shown the ability to covert speed to power resulting in a devastating bull rush. As a run defender, he has a ways to go. He needs to continue to add weight to improve his functional strength. He also needs to do a better job of firing off the ball low and maintaining that leverage. He doesn't do a good job of consistently setting the edge and needs to play more assignment sound when on the front-side of the play. On the back-side, he does a nice job keeping contain. The biggest issues I have with his run defense are that he doesn't finish tackles consistently enough and doesn't do a great job of finding the ball. I don't know if he'll ever be a plus run defender but his pass rush skills are great enough that you can overlook it. Regardless, he'll have time to develop and one of the best DL Coaches in the game to work with. Should be able to contribute in the mean time as a situational pass rusher.

Round 2 Pick #26 - Cameron Erving C/OG/OT Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os95Ie_HqPE

Analysis: I had issues with him at LT this year and last. However, FSU moved him to Center against Miami and he jumped back onto my board. He's an athletic kid with good size at 6'5" 310 but had some issues with his kick-slide and punch timing on the edge. He's not as technically sound as he could be and he's going to need time to develop at Center. However, he's as athletically gifted at they come at the Center position with the versatility to play any spot on the OL and the ability to be as good as he wants to be if coached up well.

Round 3 Pick #14 - Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA
Analysis:
Kendricks is a tad undersized at 6'0" 230 but he's an active player with great instincts that flies to the ball. The reasons why he won't go higher are because he's not an elite athlete, is on the smaller side, and isn't an elite coverage LB. He definitely has the ability to be solid in coverage in the NFL but he's not Ogletree. Still, he's a highly intelligent kid that can stop the run and should be able to develop behind Laurinaitis as his heir apparent. Might even beat out Dunbar for the SLB job in the mean time.

Round 4 Pick #14 - Devontae Booker HB Utah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cepXIrQy_XE

Analysis: Another Utah Ute in this draft. Booker is the definition of the word decisive. He doesn't dance in the back-field and he doesn't waste time. He gets the ball and he knows exactly where he's going. He does a really nice job of pressing the line of scrimmage before making his cut up-field. Even when forced to bounce it outside, Booker wastes no time in getting N-S. At 5'11" 205, he's not a power HB and shouldn't be mistaken for one. Booker has outstanding feet and explosive burst. He doesn't possess great long speed but in those first 5-10 yards, he's very fast. Booker uses his cuts well to setup defenders and blocks. He is shifty with quick feet and a nice jump cut. Booker also possesses impressive balance which makes him a slippery runner and tougher to knock off his feet than you'd expect. And probably the biggest thing for me with Booker is his ability to catch the football. He has outstanding hands and body control. He can adjust to poorly thrown balls and will make his mark in the NFL as a receiver out of the back-field. I love Booker's versatility and the urgency in his running style. He'll get the yards that are blocked and he can create some on his own with his cutting ability and slipperyness as a runner. Some scouts have compared him to Arian Foster.

Round 6 Pick #30 - John Feliciano OG/RT Miami
Analysis:
Adding depth on the OL. Feliciano has played both LG and RT during his career at Miami. He's a strong kid with size(6'4" 315) who lacks athleticism and fluidity. Solid backup type because he can generate movement in the run game and handles his man well when he latches on.

Round 7 Pick #14 - Blake Sims QB Alabama

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgz6nDp1Cpk

Analysis: Taking a shot on a developmental backup QB here. Sims is still learning the nuances of the QB position as a first year starter and there's no guarantee that he'll ever get them down but he has a NFL caliber arm, throws a good deep ball, has a quick release with the ability to change platforms, and is the same caliber of athlete as Russell Wilson (but clearly not the same caliber of passer). Heck, he might even be faster than Wilson. He's on the short side at 6'0" 210 but with his athleticism, flashes of talent, and overall tools...why not? My big concerns right now are that he doesn't find his checkdowns effectively(locks onto deeper routes), will give away his intentions with his eyes which can lead to picks, short arms throws leading to inaccuracy, doesn't throw accurately on the run(due to mechanics), and he's short which will limit his ability to climb the ladder in the pocket. But it's a 7th rounder. Plus, Sims kind of reminds me of Seneca Wallace.

Round 7 Pick #30 - Braxton Deaver TE Duke

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbt3BM5J8Wc

Analysis: Long and bad injury history. Tore his ACL in August. However, this is the 7th round so why not take a shot on a guy with some durability questions? He put up 600 yards in 2013 and is an athletic kid with good hands at 6'5" 240. He's underpowered but very willing as a blocker with good technique and understanding of angles. Will need to bulk up and improve his functional strength in the NFL but this kid is very much willing to block. He's a versatile receiver having lined up all over at Duke. Has impressive speed and agility for his position. Definitely worth taking a chance on this late in the draft. That all said, he may get a 6th year of eligibility.

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Larry Fitzgerald
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Barrett Jones
RG: T.J. Clemmings
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

I still don't feel comfortable enough with any QB in this draft outside of the top two to choose one in the early rounds.

FRO

Legend
I'm going to post a mock today as well. It will be similar. You have done a great job here.

I think I would have went Gurely at 26 still and found my OG in the second.

To me Glennon is the way to go for backup QB, only thing is there are a lot of teams in need of a QB so he may be hard to secure.

I like the idea of drafting a DE early. We finally have a roster good enough we can draft rookies to develop, not to count on them for key roles.

Fitzgerald and Bradford would be awesome. You see how much Bradford depended on Amendola. A quality slot WR would be huge for him.

I'd be on board with the Glennon trade (as I was when I proposed it last week :whistle:).

Outside of QB and OL both of which you've addressed I really don't see that many needs, so I'd be on board with it overall.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, one thing for sure the offensive line would be fixed and quite frankly Glennon is as good as any option I have seen to date and the Buccaneers have had no running game to speak of so Glennon would have a better opportunity with the Rams.

I would be shocked if Fitzgerald left the Cardinals, but stranger things have happened. Little doubt it would be a better team then they now have and you did not have to trade away the farm either.

Athos

Legend
Can someone talk more about Glennon. Is this just a "he's the best of what 'could' be available thing" or does he actually have upside? Or is it a belief that he's better than the shit team he's on. I mean, it's not like he hasn't had weapons to pass too. Is it the o-line making him bad? Or could both just be bad?

Is he even less mobile than a healthy Bradford (pre ACLs)?

What his arm comparison?

The NFL combine report had his comparison as Flacco...I really wonder about that. Flacco has one of the best deep balls in the league.

FRO

Legend
Can someone talk more about Glennon. Is this just a "he's the best of what 'could' be available thing" or does he actually have upside? Or is it a belief that he's better than the crap team he's on. I mean, it's not like he hasn't had weapons to pass too. Is it the o-line making him bad? Or could both just be bad?

What his arm comparison?

The NFL combine report had his comparison as Flacco...I really wonder about that. Flacco has one of the best deep balls in the league.
Tampa Bay has a horrible offensive line, which also leads to a crap run game. Glennon isn't going to make plays on his feet, keep in mind Brady isn't that mobile either. I think Flacco could be a good comparison, not saying he will be as good, but he could be. He has solid starting ability.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Tampa Bay has a horrible offensive line, which also leads to a crap run game. Glennon isn't going to make plays on his feet, keep in mind Brady isn't that mobile either. I think Flacco could be a good comparison, not saying he will be as good, but he could be. He has solid starting ability.

I agree Glennon is more like Flacco than Brady, people keep posting about Brady's lack of mobility forget when he first took over as the starter for the Patriots the advantage Brady had was he was more mobile than the Statue of Liberty in Drew Bledsoe.

Glennon's issue is footwork, but I concur that he has upside and would be the best scenario with the exception of trading up for Mariota or Winston that some feel will be too steep of a price.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I love the mock...but I don't think there's any way Orchard makes it into the second. He's rising too quickly for that. I have a gut feeling that he goes #20-#25, possibly higher depending on his Combine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the mock...but I don't think there's any way Orchard makes it into the second. He's rising too quickly for that. I have a gut feeling that he goes #20-#25, possibly higher depending on his Combine.

That's certainly possible. There are like 8 pass rushers in the running for the first round right now(Gregory, Ray, Beasley, Oakman, Dupree, Fowler Jr., Mauldin, Orchard) so I figured at least one had to fall.

Can someone talk more about Glennon. Is this just a "he's the best of what 'could' be available thing" or does he actually have upside? Or is it a belief that he's better than the crap team he's on. I mean, it's not like he hasn't had weapons to pass too. Is it the o-line making him bad? Or could both just be bad?

What his arm comparison?

He's not Flacco. I'd compare him to current Carson Palmer. His arm is solid but he doesn't have a cannon. Yea, he's less mobile than healthy Bradford. He's not a statue but he's not going to escape much.

He's both the best of what could be available and has some upside. I turned on the Pittsburgh game, the Minnesota game, and the Cleveland game. He looked great against Pittsburgh. No joke. He seriously good in that game. Against Cleveland, he did not look good in the first half but rebounded in the 2nd half to play much better. Against Minnesota, he got clobbered due to his OL being terrible in that game. Got sacked repeatedly and they weren't on him.

This was what I saw while watching the games:
Solid Arm - Velocity to the sideline from the pocket can be a tad suspect at times but has plenty of velocity over the middle and his deep ball doesn't hang.
Lacks Mobility - Scrambled at times but he wasn't going much of anywhere...he's slow.
Good Pocket Presence and Movement - Good feel for pressure, climbs the ladder in the pocket to buy time, uses his instincts and quick twitch movements to elude sackers, and has no fear of stepping up to find/create throwing lanes
Solid Accuracy - Was inconsistent as he missed over the middle and threw some inaccurate passers under pressure but his ball placement outside the hashes was consistently great...he consistently threw the ball to the right shoulder or spot to keep defenders in tight coverage from being able to make a play...deep ball looked good (did a nice job of giving his big guys a shot at making a play and putting the ball where only they could make a play)
Pre-snap recognition - Looked good at times and not so good at others...needs to improve at recognizing blitzes but he did do a nice job when blitzed of getting the ball out before being hit...locked onto targets a few times and missed other WRs coming open
Anticipation - Definitely showed anticipation with the ability to put the ball out there before the WRs went into breaks and was willing to throw guys open with back-shoulder throws...good sense of timing and patience in the pocket

Obviously, height isn't an issue and the kid is tough. I don't think he'll be great but he's a good decision maker and usually is good about protecting the football...especially if he's protected. But he's also aggressive enough to give his bigger WRs a chance in coverage at times.

I think Tampa Bay is making a huge mistake by starting McCown over Glennon. Glennon definitely did not look in over his head in the three games I watched and two of the three were his "bad" games. He looked like a better QB to me than Hill and Davis.

The other big thing I saw...Glennon steps up in clutch moments. He really seemed to play better in the 4th quarter. I think if you give him the protection and weapons he'd have here, he could be a solid to good starter. But he'd only be our Plan B. Bradford is our Plan A.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
Just wondering why you are releasing Sims and resigning Carrington ? I know they play different positions but Sims provides quality depth and Carrington has done nothing to make me want to resign him. I'm hoping they do more at linebacker but other than that I like it a lot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just wondering why you are releasing Sims and resigning Carrington ? I know they play different positions but Sims provides quality depth and Carrington has done nothing to make me want to resign him. I'm hoping they do more at linebacker but other than that I like it a lot.

Not much in the way of FA DTs which is why I'm re-signing Carrington. Plus, we have more talent and depth at DE.

On a final note, there's a good reason to draft a DE(that replaces Sims) with Long and Hayes being older. Whereas Brockers and Donald are still young so there's less reason to draft a DT.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Interesting.

Adding an aging Fitzgerald at the expense of the developing youth is not only a pipe dream but a bad idea, IMO.

Later you show depth with pass rushers to justify the 2nd rounder, but have the Eagles dealing up for one in the first round despite that depth. I understand how a team can fall in love with a guy, but the trade seems kind of forced just to get more picks for this mock.

I'd hope Langford stayed with a paycut or got dealt with a release being the very last resort.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting.

Adding an aging Fitzgerald at the expense of the developing youth is not only a pipe dream but a bad idea, IMO.

Later you show depth with pass rushers to justify the 2nd rounder, but have the Eagles dealing up for one in the first round despite that depth. I understand how a team can fall in love with a guy, but the trade seems kind of forced just to get more picks for this mock.

I'd hope Langford stayed with a paycut or got dealt with a release being the very last resort.

I don't think so. There are tiers like with any class. Because of the talent at the top, one of those guys who are in the top tier like Shane Ray might fall to the mid first...in that case, the Eagles would be smart to trade up. They don't have many needs and Ray is a top tier talent.

I think Fitzgerald would be positive for developing our youth. We already rotate our WRs quite a lot. Getting Fitz would give us another guy like Britt that could help teach our young guys, instill confidence in them, and show them how an All Pro does it.

Can't underestimate what a guy like Fitzgerald could do for their development. That's the biggest consideration in making that signing...not just his on the field play but the leadership for the young guys.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't think so. There are tiers like with any class. Because of the talent at the top, one of those guys who are in the top tier like Shane Ray might fall to the mid first...in that case, the Eagles would be smart to trade up. They don't have many needs and Ray is a top tier talent.

I think Fitzgerald would be positive for developing our youth. We already rotate our WRs quite a lot. Getting Fitz would give us another guy like Britt that could help teach our young guys, instill confidence in them, and show them how an All Pro does it.

Can't underestimate what a guy like Fitzgerald could do for their development. That's the biggest consideration in making that signing...not just his on the field play but the leadership for the young guys.

If the Eagles felt that player was worth 3 draft choices over the next available player on their board, perhaps. But, if that type of player is available, I'd have to question if Fisher would even pass on him. Still the trade just seems Rams mock slanted to me.

And I can't fool myself into thinking the WR rotation would remain the same with someone like Fitzgerald on the team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Eagles felt that player was worth 3 draft choices over the next available player on their board, perhaps. But, if that type of player is available, I'd have to question if Fisher would even pass on him. Still the trade just seems Rams mock slanted to me.

And I can't fool myself into thinking the WR rotation would remain the same with someone like Fitzgerald on the team.

I think Fisher would pass on him. He's not a scheme fit. I don't think it's unrealistic. It's not like we haven't traded down plenty in the past.

This is a year where there will be teams wanting to move up in the mid first.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Great call on Clemmings. It's amazing that he was not moved to OT sooner, because he looks so natural as a OT. If you didn't know he was a DT 2 years ago and just watched him play, I bet he would be one of the top 2 OT.

That being said, I think he ends up being a top 15 pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great call on Clemmings. It's amazing that he was not moved to OT sooner, because he looks so natural as a OT. If you didn't know he was a DT 2 years ago and just watched him play, I bet he would be one of the top 2 OT.

That being said, I think he ends up being a top 15 pick.

I think so too. :oops:

I think he's a lot like Lane Johnson and will shoot up the media rankings in the off-season.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think Fisher would pass on him. He's not a scheme fit. I don't think it's unrealistic. It's not like we haven't traded down plenty in the past.

This is a year where there will be teams wanting to move up in the mid first.

Yeah anything is possible, but we will have to agree to disagree on Fisher/Snead passing on Ray. A 6-3, 245 pass rusher who can run a 4.45/40? They probably go with a Von Miller type roll. Probably a moot point anyway as he won't even be on the board at the Rams selection unless they tank.

On that note, the strength of schedule is going to kill them with this draft order since they are sure to be the last team to select after whomever they tie with recordwise in the first round.:(

FRO

Legend
Yeah anything is possible, but we will have to agree to disagree on Fisher/Snead passing on Ray. A 6-3, 245 pass rusher who can run a 4.45/40? They probably go with a Von Miller type roll. Probably a moot point anyway as he won't even be on the board at the Rams selection unless they tank.

On that note, the strength of schedule is going to kill them with this draft order since they are sure to be the last team to select after whomever they tie with recordwise in the first round.:(
If you believe Walterfootball's source that the Rams were very high on Mack, then I think Ray could be used very similarly. We could use a rush LB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Ray isn't Von Miller. I don't think he can play that role. He doesn't have the pure LB skills that Miller or Mack did. He's tighter in the hips and doesn't have the lateral agility or experience that either of those two had.

Ray looks like a potentially great 3-4 WOLB but I don't see him as a scheme fit here.