Hammond: Undrafted free agent Jake Eldrenkamp will compete for Rams’ center job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I could see that jrry.
Once you figure out the five starters, train the other four or five to back up multiple spots.
The main thing is to solidify the line with the five best guys playing in the 5 positions that they are suited for best. Cross-train the starters and the other 5 in practice once the season starts.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno why folks are handing the job to Sullivan. If Eldrenkamp or Toth really wows the staff, they'll earn the starting spot.

Sullivan may start the mini-camps as the starter and he may start the season at Center, but I wouldn't pencil anyone as the Game 1 starters except Whitworth, Goff and Gurley. Heck, we don't even know that Tavon won't be eclipsed in the starting WR lineup.

All this is good news. It means that the coaches are about having a meritocracy, where playing well earns the job, not simply "being a veteran".

I got sick to my stomach just typing that last line...

thomonkey

UDFA
Name
thomonkey
I expect eight offensive linemen will dress for games. You usually have a swing OT, a utility OL, and a Center. The more versatility we have upfront, the better players we can have dressing for games.

I don't expect us to be cross-training starters, but I do expect backups to cross-train. You never know where a guy will need to fill in.

Exactly the way i understood it was that they are cross training people right now as they are nailing down the starting lineup, but once the starter spots are solidified they'll only cross train the backups. Mcvay and Kromer talked alot about cohesiveness and stability at positions so I doubt they would cross train the starting lineup.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno why folks are handing the job to Sullivan. If Eldrenkamp or Toth really wows the staff, they'll earn the starting spot.

Sullivan may start the mini-camps as the starter and he may start the season at Center, but I wouldn't pencil anyone as the Game 1 starters except Whitworth, Goff and Gurley. Heck, we don't even know that Tavon won't be eclipsed in the starting WR lineup.

All this is good news. It means that the coaches are about having a meritocracy, where playing well earns the job, not simply "being a veteran".

I'm seeing Sullivan as the likely starter because it's not easy for a rookie UDFA to win a starting job by Week 1. It's certainly possible, but it's not something I will expect. I think it would say something quite positive about either of the two if one does.

Everything I've read about Eldrenkamp makes it sound like he has potential. I can understand why Kromer likes the kid. And it's worth keeping in mind that this scheme makes things quite easy on the Center. McVay has the QB call protections, and Kromer's scheme generally has the Center and a Guard initially double an interior DL. Thus, the Center has it quite easy. It's the tackles who have a tough job in this scheme. They're generally asked to power block one-on-one. Which actually explains our approach to this off-season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
No doubt. If I had to guess, I'd say Sullivan would be our Game 1 starter.

My point is that unlike during the Fisher regime, if Eldrenkamp or Toth just wows the staff, they will be able to earn the position.

It won't be like Fisher starting the vet...just because.

And I really like that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My point is that unlike during the Fisher regime, if Eldrenkamp or Toth just wows the staff, they will be able to earn the position.

And for the record the Rams have yet t sign Toth, but I concur about the opportunity, however, I for one feel that John Sullivan is a heck of a player and prior to the back injury was considering one of the better centers in the NFL...I could Sullivan coming in, playing well, however, the Rams moving on to Eldrenkamp next year.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm seeing Sullivan as the likely starter because it's not easy for a rookie UDFA to win a starting job by Week 1. It's certainly possible, but it's not something I will expect. I think it would say something quite positive about either of the two if one does.

Everything I've read about Eldrenkamp makes it sound like he has potential. I can understand why Kromer likes the kid. And it's worth keeping in mind that this scheme makes things quite easy on the Center. McVay has the QB call protections, and Kromer's scheme generally has the Center and a Guard initially double an interior DL. Thus, the Center has it quite easy. It's the tackles who have a tough job in this scheme. They're generally asked to power block one-on-one. Which actually explains our approach to this off-season.

If they released McMeans so early does indicate that Eldrenkamp may have shown something. Could also indicate a positive on the health of Toth too. I am not positive on John Sullivan ending up as the starter myself & posted several times on this situation. I agree with JS playing attributes prior to 2015 season but do not think any of that will resurface.

Yep jrry32 your hit target on the OT comment(y).The 2017 new big three Ram OT's will be very interesting to keep up with in OTA's/ Training Camp & Pre season games. The RT & Swing OT are the unknowns. So very nice to have the LT post finally secured with a real NFL LT. Kromer locating the smart best starting RT may not be as set as most all members seem think. There will be no coronation for GRob as starter RT. GRob will be in a much better position to compete for the important Swing OT so all you GRob believers don't start to riot & become disruptive.

For me I would bet on the OL'er who was the 2016 OTA/TC & pre season RT to be the best prime prospective starting RT in 2017 followed by an also smart technically RT in Andrew Donnal. Like jrry32 said its the OT's who have the tough job. need to understand that GRob will have some stress for the first time trying to earn a roster spot he has almost zero experience in this since he arrived..
..... We need to be prepared for injuries this year.
I agree fully with you here reference the need for Cross-training OL'ers. Lucky for Kromer this may be the only element area that Paul Boudreau left him in good position wise for this season. Saffold has started @ all four OL positions in his 7 yr career. Brown & Wichmann were bounced back & forth & flipped like cooking pancakes between the 2 starting OG posts. Both CW & JB have also played OT in college. Donnal has line up & played in four OL posts the last 2 seasons. OT Pace Murphy as a rookie swung well between both OT posts as did OT Darrell Williams. Rhaney has done some of the same @ all 3 interior OL posts but results were bad. So 7 of the main OL'ers here have been CT'd but NOT in the center position.So really when we post on OL'ers CT'ing the real element is involving the Center position training.

The only two big Kromer CT'ing projects will be OT Rob Havenstein from RT to RG & OT GRob from LT to RT. Do we really think that Kromer's CT'ing of GRob & Havenstein will be involving the center? Primarily the past OG's will get this center action meaning Brown/Wichmann & maybe a little bit of Donnal.

I agree here with what was said above "I don't expect us to be cross-training starters, but I do expect backups to cross-train" IMO there is only only 1 true settled Ram starting OL postilion that's LT. Then followed by Saffold (either LG or RT) & Havenstein (either RG or RT) the other 2 OL starting posts are in for a free for all.

P.S. I would not write off Chris Watt @ center so fast if his knees are finally healthy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Until proven otherwise I have much trepidation regarding our center group

Memphis Ram

Legend
Somehow, this Toth kid seems to have become some sort of cult hero as an answer to the center spot on this board.

It's confusing to me as I've read about how he was abused during senior bowl practices, had a poor showing at the combine, and was seen as a late round selection in the draft at best. On top of that, no one has signed him and, so far, it appears the best he can garner is a tryout.

What am I missing?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Somehow, this Toth kid seems to have become some sort of cult hero as an answer to the center spot on this board.

It's confusing to me as I've read about how he was abused during senior bowl practices, had a poor showing at the combine, and was seen as a late round selection in the draft at best. On top of that, no one has signed him and, so far, it appears the best he can garner is a tryout.

What am I missing?
Years of good play on video and from what I read he had a good week including the game at the senior bowl. I don't think he's the savior at center but he was a decent draft prospect who could come in and learn from Kromer. I think your mistaking hope for the kid with this cult hero status.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Years of good play on video and from what I read he had a good week including the game at the senior bowl. I don't think he's the savior at center but he was a decent draft prospect who could come in and learn from Kromer. I think your mistaking hope for the kid with this cult hero status.

Ok let's call it hope. But if years of good play has him being considered a late round selection at best, I have to question just how good was his play. BTW, I read a positive Senior Bowl game review by Pro Football Focus that seemed to be copied elsewhere, but that site seemed to speak very highly of the kid the team just cut in McMeans, too.

Time will tell I guess, but I have serious doubts that Toth would represent an upgrade over the guys already on the roster.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Kromer locating the smart best starting RT may not be as set as most all members seem think. There will be no coronation for GRob as starter RT. GRob will be in a much better position to compete for the important Swing OT so all you GRob believers don't start to riot & become disruptive.
That'd be ME!!!!!:boxing::argue::rant::banghead::mrburnsevil:
Is that disruptive enough? LLOLOLOLOLOL:hiding:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder

What am I missing?

Our cult hero was Lamp not Toth :LOL:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jon Toth.... if he can get healthy & work & earn his way onto either this seasons Practice Squad or as our 9th or 10th Ol'er on the master roster then he would be on his way to some type of hero!:bow:

lamp would have cost us a high second day draft selection whereas IF Toth can make this team he will come @ an exceptional bargain. Toth is also versatile enough & has the size where he can work towards being not just a reserve center he could be a whole interior relief. Next season the Rams will be dealing with the highly probable lost of both UFA's GRob & Sullivan, in addition the need for salary cap relief & help .....this would cause high cost $$$ Saffold to get some strong considerations for possible release too.

Snead & McVay will be looking for some good low cost young replacements like UDFA's rookies OC Jake Eldrenkamp, OC/OG Jon Toth & OT Kwayde Miller to go with OT Pace Murphy.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Toth was not signed. He had a tryout but wasn't one of the tryout players they signed to the roster

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Guys ... I keep seeing Toth mentioned in this like he is in contention. The fact of the matter is, he was brought in for a "tryout" lat last weekend's rookie mini camp. He was not signed, therefore .. he is not on the team. The "tryout" is over. they are now under the 90 man roster rule going into their OTA's . So if the Rams are/were to sign Toth, it will be at a later date. He is NOT with the team at this point. I still say there is something up with his health ... because I saw NO pictures of him in action ... nor did I hear anything from reports from that camp tryout on him.

I think to keep mentioning him is baseless until he is actually on the team.... no?

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Forget Toth. Rams just signed another center, guy named Blythe was cut by Colts.