Hammond: Rams need Andrew Whitworth to anchor new-look offensive line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams need Andrew Whitworth to anchor new-look offensive line

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – The Rams’ offensive line seemed to be in constant flux last season, and not in a positive way. Coach Sean McVay hopes that further changes in March will create stability in the fall.

The Rams likely will have three new starters along the offensive line, if not four, when next season begins. The leader of that group, not only emotionally but in terms of skill, figures to be left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who officially joined the Rams as a free agent Friday when he signed his contract.

“I think he will be a great example for some of the young, up-and-coming linemen,” Rams coach Sean McVay said of Whitworth on Friday at the team’s practice facility, “with what he can bring in the meeting room and on the grass. He’s a pro’s pro.”

Whitworth, 35, is a 10-year NFL veteran and a three-time Pro Bowl selection. The Rams gave him a hefty three-year, $36 million contract and expect him to anchor an offensive line that regressed in 2016, allowed far too much quarterback pressure and opened few holes for running back Todd Gurley.

Greg Robinson, the former No. 2 overall pick who struggled mightily last season, now will get a chance to play right tackle, McVay said. Former right tackle Rob Havenstein could move to right guard, and the Rams must find a replacement for center Tim Barnes, whom they released Thursday.

Left guard Rodger Saffold could be the only returning lineman in the same position. That’s a lot of change, and McVay will lean on Whitworth, who earned the reputation, during his 11 seasons in Cincinnati, as being a respected team leader.

“I love challenges,” Whitworth said Friday. “I love adventures. I love to try new things. I wanted to find a place where I could make an impact.”

Who will play center? McVay said the Rams would begin to “cross train” some of their guards at center, but also strongly hinted that the team would make an addition through free agency or the draft.

As for Robinson, a career-defining move is in store. Robinson is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and needs to show that he can fit somewhere and thrive. The Rams also will consider playing Robinson at right guard but, because of his body type would like to see him move from left tackle to right.

“It’s certainly a challenge,” McVay said. “It’s about the comfort level in the stance. We talked to Greg yesterday and told him about our plans. He’s up for the challenge. When you’re doing drills, it’s just about getting comfortable with that right-handed stance and that muscle memory.”

Offensive line isn’t the only position that will change for the Rams. This week’s other free-agent signing, Robert Woods, figures to become a major target for second-year quarterback Jared Goff.

It’s a homecoming for Woods, who grew up as a Raiders fan in Carson – while the Rams played in St. Louis – then went on to star at Serra High in Gardena and at USC. Woods finalized a five-year contract with the Rams on Friday.

“I always wanted to come home and play for the hometown team,” Woods said. “The Rams made the trip home and so did I. ... L.A. was definitely a dream place to go, and everything just fell into place. This team is so young and explosive, with so much talent. It made sense to come home and play for the Rams.”

McVay said Woods, a second-round pick of the Buffalo Bills in 2013, would have value because of his inability to run inside and outside routes, and also thrive in run-blocking.

The Rams still have plenty to accomplish before offseason workouts begin next month, and not just through the draft. They must identify a starting safety to replace T.J. McDonald, add depth at linebacker (and perhaps at receiver and tight end) and finalize their defensive front.

Left uncertain is the status of lineman Ethan Westbrooks, who was arrested last weekend on suspicion of domestic violence. The Rams tendered a contract to Westbrooks, who otherwise would have become a free agent this week, but McVay said Westbrooks’ status with the team remains open.

“We’re continuing to gather information in regard to that very serious incident,” McVay said.

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm hoping that once the Trumaine Johnson saga is complete, the Rams can turn their attention to Ryan Groy and solve the center equitation that has eluded the Rams since Andy McCollum left.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
giphy.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams OL problems last year had as much to do with being young, inexperienced and ignorant of the "tricks of the trade" and got "schooled" repeatedly. With no veteran (I include Saffold) to impart nuances of the game and the little "tricks" that defenses use, they were woefully overmatched. Strength and weight don't make up for the intangebles that come with experience, of which the Rams OL had very little and no veteran to enlighten them.

Whitworth and hopefully a vet center will bring in much needed "on the field" coaching of the finer points of playing the OL, and defenses sneaky tricks they use that only come from experience. No more getting taken behind the woodshed or getting "schooled" repeatedly because they haven't yet learned defenses "tricks of the trade".

Do you ever sleep den?:sleepz:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If we get Webster and find a way to sign Trujo to a long term deal (it seems the market isn't leaping at Trujo which is a little confusing), I think our CB tandem will be one of the best in the league.

If Trujo is dumped because they just want the cap back and Wade doesn't think he's a fit, then it sure opens up other possibilities and I'm still trusting Wade to make the right decisions about this D.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm hoping that once the Trumaine Johnson saga is complete, the Rams can turn their attention to Ryan Groy and solve the center equitation that has eluded the Rams since Andy McCollum left.
Same here.
I remember being excited over the signing of Brown.

That was short lived.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Same here.
I remember being excited over the signing of Brown.

That was short lived.

When Brown joined the Rams he could not do a push up....Pushing himself up from the table. Brown gained quite a bit of weight and had issues snapping the football because of it. That is a good example of everyone writing what a great signing and Brown was one of the worst.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Brown joined the Rams he could not do a push up....Pushing himself up from the table. Brown gained quite a bit of weight and had issues snapping the football because of it. That is a good example of everyone writing what a great signing and Brown was one of the worst.

That's the risk with a big contract. Some guys are motivated by it; some guys coast. You can almost never know 100% what a guy will do.