Hammond: Rams' Case Keenum, Rob Boras feeling the heat to get offense on track

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

ogem8r-b88836497z.120161109181234000g8rjv85o.10.jpg

‘My pocket presence was not where it needed to be,' Rams quarterback Case Keenum said of Sunday's loss to Carolina. ‘I could have prevented a few sacks and a few batted balls by just trusting my protection and stepping up.' (AP Photo/Ryan Kang)

Rams' Case Keenum, Rob Boras feeling the heat to get offense on track

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – The temperature reached 90 degrees at Cal Lutheran on Wednesday afternoon, so one can only imagine the feeling under the collars of Case Keenum and Rob Boras.

Keenum, the Rams’ quarterback, and Boras, the offensive coordinator, have received increasing heat this season, as the losing streak has reached four games and the offense has sputtered. Keenum’s starting job has come into question, as has Boras’ pass-happy play-calling and the Rams’ lack of a run game.

Forecasts call for a chilly afternoon in New York on Sunday when the Rams play the Jets, so Boras and Keenum won’t have to sweat and won’t have to worry about the boos from the Coliseum crowd, like they heard during last Sunday’s loss to Carolina.

“Fortunately, I’ve got a headset on, so I don’t hear it,” Boras joked. “My wife and kids will tell me. No, of course it’s frustrating. I get it. We get it. I know it’s not something to make light of. It’s our job to score points, and it’s frustrating for all of us. We believe in what we’re doing and we believe in one another.”

The Rams, and in particular Coach Jeff Fisher, apparently still believe in Keenum, who will remain the starter this week even as fans continue to call for rookie Jared Goff to take over.

Keenum has led the Rams’ offense to only 10 points in each of the past two games, and he has totaled two touchdowns and five interceptions in those two games. Another subpar performance could lead to a Goff sighting, but Keenum said he’s not encumbered by recent shortcomings.

“I’m over it,” Keenum said. “Obviously there’s still a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth, but winning cures that. Winning cures a lot of things. So we expect to go out and win this week.”

That will require greater balance on offense. Running back Todd Gurley, the NFL’s third-leading rusher last season, has totaled only 41 carries in his last three games and increasingly has been invisible in the fourth quarter of tight games.

NFL coaches rarely like to tip their hand, but Fisher has been upfront this week in saying that Gurley’s carry total must rise, even against a Jets defense that has been solid against the run this season. Boras, who calls the offensive plays, said he has “seen the numbers” and knows the need for a more-prolific run game.

“The more carries (Gurley and Benny Cunningham) get, the more they’re going to settle in,” Boras said, “not only as the runner but the blockers, the O-line, the tight ends, the fullback. Part of that is staying on the field and sustaining drives and eliminating three-and-outs.”

Gurley missed Wednesday’s practice with an apparent thigh injury, but that’s likely just midweek maintenance, given how Fisher and Boras talked about Gurley’s importance this week.

Keenum, by all accounts, is at full health, and talked about his need for improvement. Fisher said Keenum is “good” from a mental standpoint, and isn’t putting excessive pressure on himself. Keenum talked about subtle ways in which he could improve his game and make his teammates – and the Rams’ offense in general – look better.

“I think my pocket presence was not where it needed to be,” Keenum said. “I could have prevented a few sacks and a few batted balls by just trusting my protection and stepping up. Sometimes I make it tough on my tackles, so I worked on that this week.”

INJURY REPORT

On Tuesday, Fisher said he “hadn’t ruled anybody out” of Wednesday’s practice because of injuries, but five players ended up on the “did not participate list.” Gurley, defensive tackle Michael Brockers (groin), cornerback Trumaine Johnson (ankle), cornerback Lamarcus Joyner (back) and receiver Nelson Spruce (calf) all missed practice.

Some of that is normal. Brockers and Johnson are playing through injuries, Spruce has been hurt for several weeks and the Rams regularly have players miss mid-week practices but still play.

SERVICE DAY

Several Rams players will volunteer time on their day off Thursday to help local schoolchildren create holiday cards for military members overseas. Events will be held at elementary schools in Thousand Oaks and Inglewood.

Also, Fisher has been selected as the Rams’ nominee for this year’s NFL “Salute to Service award,” given to someone “who demonstrates an exemplary commitment to honoring and supporting the military community.” The winner will be announced in February.

[www.ocregister.com]

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Fisher has been upfront this week in saying that Gurley’s carry total must rise, even against a Jets defense that has been solid against the run this season. Boras, who calls the offensive plays, said he has “seen the numbers” and knows the need for a more-prolific run game.

Gurley's carries need to increase, but this doesn't look like a good week to force it.

Our lack of a run game might be the biggest mystery of this season. One might argue one of the few times we surprised anyone on offense this year. :LOL:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Case is coming off like, "I don't give a f[_]CK!" type attitude...Yeah, I think I coulda stepped up in the pocket some....oh really? You just now noticing that? Give me a fucking break....Acts like he's got time to just fuck up, and no problem...don't worry, be happy...sheesh. I've said this b4, I'll say it again...I'd cut his ass...take that attitude to the Bears. Reminds me of Cutler...could care less whether we win or lose, as long as he doesn't get hurt. Effin coward.

ram007

Starter
Updated scapegoat list @ rams

1. Keenum
2. Boras
3. Aaron Donald
4. Kurt Warner
5. George Bush
6. JFK
487. Jeff Fisher

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Boras said " We have to believe in what we are doing." My question; "WHY!!??!" It's like they say " Only a fool keeps trying to do something the same way, time after time, when it doesn't work time after time!!" So I say ... "Change your ways!!"
I don't know how, but some kind of change Offensively is in order! JMHO!

Boras may be right, I'm no expert! But it's frustrating !

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Updated scapegoat list @ rams

1. Keenum
2. Boras
3. Aaron Donald
4. Kurt Warner
5. George Bush
6. JFK
487. Jeff Fisher

hahahah YUUUUUUUUUUS!

I think Keenum is starting to realize that. His body language says it all.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Boras said " We have to believe in what we are doing."

I agree. I thought the same thing. What? They have to believe in not winning? Have to believe in being a bottom 3 offense constantly? Have to believe in having zero running game and no exciting plays on offense?

Why does Boras want to go on "believing" in that, instead of making drastic changes?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it seems that the Offensive Coordinator position is the only one that gets a coach fired in the Rams Organization, so Boras' fear is legitimate. Case is almost as bullet-proof as Fisher, and he acts like it.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Case is never going to be successful at stepping up. He just does not have the height to step up and still see the field to throw. It is why we see him drop back and drift so often, he just can't see the field if he steps up. Almost every time he steps up he is ducking and running, not keeping his eyes down field and using his feet to manipulate the pocket.

It is one of the most frustrating things to think about the whole Keenum vs. Goff debate because Goff coming out had some tremendous feet in the pocket while keeping his eyes down field.

fearsomefour

Legend
Case is coming off like, "I don't give a f[_]CK!" type attitude...Yeah, I think I coulda stepped up in the pocket some....oh really? You just now noticing that? Give me a freaking break....Acts like he's got time to just freak up, and no problem...don't worry, be happy...sheesh. I've said this b4, I'll say it again...I'd cut his ass...take that attitude to the Bears. Reminds me of Cutler...could care less whether we win or lose, as long as he doesn't get hurt. Effin coward.
Love ya LACHAMP but,
One of the more absurd things I have read.
But, that's ok. What is he supposed to do, throw stuff? Cry? self flagellate himself at midfield?
He is acknowledging he can play better without throwing anyone under the bus. The run game doesn't exist, the O line is hit and miss and his receivers are very inconsistent as well.
Acknowledging what he can do, not throwing other under the bus and going back to work....sounds a lot like a pro to me.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the passing game, The WR, particularly Quick and Britt have stepped it up and Kendricks is on his way to career highs in rec and yards. I don't know if it's integrating Groh's philosophy or Boras, but I do see major improvement there. And the play calling as well. Execution still is lacking, and I believe TA effectiveness is held back by the QB. So from a passing perspective, I do see progress, but only in a "with a good QB it could really be something" kind of way.
The running game? Well that's another story

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Case is coming off like, "I don't give a f[_]CK!" type attitude...Yeah, I think I coulda stepped up in the pocket some....oh really? You just now noticing that? Give me a freaking break....Acts like he's got time to just freak up, and no problem...don't worry, be happy...sheesh. I've said this b4, I'll say it again...I'd cut his ass...take that attitude to the Bears. Reminds me of Cutler...could care less whether we win or lose, as long as he doesn't get hurt. Effin coward.

Honestly, this is one of the most off based, incorrect and downright wrong posts I've read anywhere. Anyone who thinks Case doesn't care is flat out 100% wrong. The guy cares way more than any you know. Sad to see this being said on this board.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
After five years why doesn't Fisher feel any heat over his awful offense?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Boras is still a rookie OC and has only been calling plays for the Rams for a total of 11 games since the end of last season. He's been a mixed bag week in and week out with his game plans and halftime adjustments.

Boras in these last 2 games appears to have taken a step back and doesn't seem to be sure of what the identity of his offense is.. Big time Pressure on Boras to get more out of this offense in the 2nd half of the season.

Keenum is what the league knew he was. A solid veteran backup quarterback. I'm rooting for Case to deliver today but if the Rams lose at NYJ because of an inept offense, this could be his last start in 2016. Pressure on Keenum started last week and today could be the straw the breaks the camels back.

1603-NFL-Rumors-Los-Angeles-Rams-getting-ready-to.jpg

UNDER-PRESSURE-BANNER-PROOF.jpg

112Coach_Boras_Presser_Screen_Shot--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Honestly, this is one of the most off based, incorrect and downright wrong posts I've read anywhere. Anyone who thinks Case doesn't care is flat out 100% wrong. The guy cares way more than any you know. Sad to see this being said on this board.
When I see guys that fails to step up in the pocket. Or constantly throw off their back foot...Consistently throw then turn around in the face of pressure...I get the feeling he's more worried about self preservation than completing passes. QB's that throw int's and don't wanna tackle defenders fit on this list as well...
If some don't like what another may see & state on these threads, perhaps they should cover their eyes. 4 losses in a row, worst QB in the league, and any opinion on Case that doesn't match Fishers is downplayed. If Case cares like you say, he should show it...with his play...effort & passion are easy to notice.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
When I see guys that fails to step up in the pocket. Or constantly throw off their back foot...Consistently throw then turn around in the face of pressure...I get the feeling he's more worried about self preservation than completing passes. QB's that throw int's and don't wanna tackle defenders fit on this list as well...
If some don't like what another may see & state on these threads, perhaps they should cover their eyes. 4 losses in a row, worst QB in the league, and any opinion on Case that doesn't match Fishers is downplayed. If Case cares like you say, he should show it...with his play...effort & passion are easy to notice.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion about his play. i'd only given you a disagree until you threw in the last comment calling him a coward. That's when I'm coming to a friend's defense and calling you out. To call Case a coward is grossly ignorant and shows a strong lack of judgement. Rules of this board say you don't attack the player personally and that's about as personal as it gets.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
To call Case a coward is grossly ignorant and shows a strong lack of judgement. Rules of this board say you don't attack the player personally and that's about as personal as it gets.
Any comment could be considered an attack. If I say his beard is too thick. I'm attacking...His feet look slow, I'm attacking. I remember reading we shouldn't attack "the poster". And really, I'm not attacking, just commenting on an action, like retreating in the pocket, throwing off the back foot...that I consider cowardly. Is that an "attack", or just an observation with my opinion?

Watch the game...you tell me? He still looks scared back there. At any signs of pressure.