Hammond: Embarrassed Rams defense eager to redeem itself against Tom Brady

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Embarrassed Rams defense eager to redeem itself against Tom Brady and the Patriots

ohfpzf-b88849027z.120161129190431000g43kaakh.10.jpg

aints receiver Michael Thomas pulls in a touchdown reception over Rams defenders T.J. McDonald (25) and E.J. Gaines on Sunday. After a sub-par performance against New Orleans, the Rams say they are eager for the chance to regroup this week against the Patriots. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

THOUSAND OAKS – How poorly did the Rams play on defense last week? They’re openly talking about their eagerness to get back on the field and face New England and quarterback Tom Brady.

For most teams, anxious would be a better word than eager. The sight of Brady and the Patriots, dominant NFL forces for almost two full decades, rarely is a welcoming one for NFL defenses, but the Rams seem nearly blind with anger after their devastatingly poor effort against New Orleans last Sunday.

“That was embarrassing,” defensive end William Hayes said after Tuesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “We should have played for free, the way we got our (butts) kicked out there.”

The direct deposits from owner Stan Kroenke will continue as scheduled, but Rams defenders didn’t mince words Tuesday. They’re expected to be the strength of the team, and they’re coming off a game in which they allowed 555 yards, third-most in any game in the Rams’ 80-year history.

Now, with the Rams (4-7) holding on to the potential of a winning season by their fingernails, they must fly to New England, likely play in frigid weather and attempt to stop the ageless Brady.

“We’re ready,” safety T.J. McDonald said. “We were ready to go play (Monday), after how we felt on Sunday. We put it behind us, and now we’re ready to go back out there and get back to playing defense how we know how to play. We want to put it all together.”

That’s what it will take against the Patriots and Brady, who rarely has been slowed since he returned from a season-opening, four-game suspension related to the “Deflategate” controversy.

Brady has an NFL-best quarterback rating (116.7) and is second in the league in yards per pass attempt (8.6) among quarterback who have attempted at least 100 passes. Brady has thrown for 314.4 yards per game, fourth-best in the NFL, and has totaled 18 touchdowns and one interception in 256 attempts.

Brady, who turned 39 in August, is on pace for one of the best statistical seasons of his storied career.

“He’s a great quarterback,” McDonald said. “Everything speaks for itself. He has done some great things in this league, and continues to. They have a great offense, and the team, they do everything right. They stick to what they do, and they do it well. We’ve definitely got a great challenge ahead of us, and it’s a great challenge for us to get back on the right track and feel a lot better about ourselves.”

The Rams’ defensive breakdown against the Saints was staggering, apparently even to them. The Rams had allowed a total of 50 points in their previous four games, then allowed 49 against the Saints.

The concern for the Rams is that while Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who passed for 310 yards and four touchdowns, has a different style than Brady, both are elite quarterbacks who can throw to a balanced group of receivers. If Brees can carve up the Rams, couldn’t Brady do the exact same?

“When a guy is smart, like him and Tom are, you can’t make any mistakes,” McDonald said. “The littlest mistakes are going to hurt you. It’s not something where you can just get back and play the next play. A lot of those (mistakes) are touchdowns. You definitely have to be on everything.”

It’s not all doom and gloom for the Rams. Perhaps they can take some hints from the New York Jets, who played Brady and the Patriots tough last Sunday until a fourth-quarter collapse and a 22-17 loss.

Brady attempted a season-high 50 passes but completed only 30, for 286 yards. Brady registered season-lows in completion percentage (60.0), yards per attempt (5.7) and quarterback rating (89.2).

Also, until Brees, the Rams had some success this season against elite quarterbacks. They were shredded by Detroit’s Matthew Stafford, but held Arizona’s Carson Palmer, the New York Giants’ Eli Manning and Carolina’s Cam Newton to efforts that, for them, were considered subpar.

But this is a bounce-back challenge unlike any the Rams have faced in many years.

“Giving up seven touchdowns and letting them have their way with us, that’s not how our defense is,” Hayes said. “We really take a lot of pride in our craft and what we put on tape. I know this year hasn’t been going the way we wanted it to go, as an overall team.

“Defensively, I know when we step out there on the field, we can never accept that. That’s the thing that’s bothering me right now. I just haven’t been able to be happy. I won’t be happy until Sunday comes around. It was just embarrassing all the way around.”

[www.ocregister.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saints, Patriots then Falcons after this three game stretch I figure all the wheels will just about be coming off, IMHO.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i can see this being a 50 burger ....for either team ... we will either get a whupping or lay one down on them ...tis the way of the ram ....oh and go 3-0 against against our divisional rivals at the end of the year

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think the wheels have been off for a while...It's just a matter of how far they'll roll before Stan decides to make it stop...

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
We'll be slightly more competitive Sunday. Maybe we even do the league a favor and take out Brady for the season?? That wouldn't be so bad to watch.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cant wait to see who's "inactive" this week.
Fisher's mastery of motivation sure paid off last week :banghead:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pats put up 45, Brady completes 80% for 5 TD's and 400+ yards. Rams commit 12 penalties, get called for PI 4 times and "roughing the passer" 3 times. GRob gets called for' holding' 3 times. Quinn gets held every play and gets no calls.

The "fix" is in folks. You wanna see some officials dictate an outcome, watch this game and its one sided penalty calls.
Donald even touches Brady he's going to draw a flag. Quinn will get held every play and the officals will look the other way.

Rams have no chance of winning this game.

What did I miss?

Rams 24- 17.:neener:

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
If this defense thinks this game will be the one where they can redeem themselves they are as clueless as they appear on the field. Don't worry defense the 49ers are still on the schedule. Then you can redeem yourself. Unless you have no one fast enough to catch the America hater.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
That's what they said last week after being embarrassed by the Dolphins

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Rams knock Brady out of the game and get 4 turnovers. Grob play lights out, Goff and Gurley combine for 6 TDs

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh boy...

I went against my instincts last week, figured the key would be to hit Brees. Going back to my roots, we stop the run, should have some success.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But this is a bounce-back challenge unlike any the Rams have faced in many years.
:thinking: This^ is putting it Mildly!!:icare: I really can't think of a more embarrassing lost in all of my 66 years as a Rams Fan!!:(
But IF the "D" can get back on track and IF Goff keeps improving at the rate he has in his first two Starts, I think the Rams can put up a very respectable show!(y)
At least, I will take the 13 1/2 points or what ever it is on the game!!:D

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Saints, Patriots then Falcons after this three game stretch I figure all the wheels will just about be coming off, IMHO.
It sure doesn't look good! But I'm going to Pray we are both proven wrong! After all is said and done, I'm still a Die-Hard Rams Fan!!:mrburnsevil:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We'll be slightly more competitive Sunday. Maybe we even do the league a favor and take out Brady for the season?? That wouldn't be so bad to watch.
Brady doesn't play well when opponents D's get in his Face, he can plan on us trying to do just that!! The one thing that worries me about this game is how well our D plays against their TE's!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
With Brady being gimpy I want to see this Rams Dline come out with a vengeance and pound him all day long. It has to be this unit controlling the LOS and rattling Brady. That is how teams have beaten them over the years, rattle Brady do it legally because you know they will get the calls at home. It's time to turn it up and time for these guys to win a game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our defense is aggressive and it intimidates some of the offenses we play, but they are undisciplined and if they don't get pressure on the QB it's ugly.

The Patriots are a bad matchup in just about every respect. I don't see us getting back on the horse in this one.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Our defense is aggressive and it intimidates some of the offenses we play, but they are undisciplined and if they don't get pressure on the QB it's ugly.

The Patriots are a bad matchup in just about every respect. I don't see us getting back on the horse in this one.
My thoughts too. Plus I'll add when we want to prove something it tends to backfire. I'll be the first in line for crow if I'm proven wrong. Not like I haven't had it before! :D