Hall of Famer: Tom Mack makes a compelling argument why the OL coaching is better

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The Mack vid was most enlightening, huh?

McVay's genius is in the details of teaching. His players will be fundamentally sound and completely prepared on game day. I fully expect his rookies to develop more quickly than those under the previous regime.

A slight correction to the hierarchy of offseason hires in terms of importance.

McVay
Phillips
Kromer

Kromer, much as I admire and respect him, must take a backseat to the Wade Phillips hire. No shame in that, of course.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Tom Mack was in 12 pro bowls, I think....he speaks of exactly what Fisher didn't emphasize: teaching teachnique. Fish was comfortable motivating people and being a 'players coach'.

People love the DBs Fish and co. developed, but the corners, including pro bowler Janoris, never turned their heads in coverage with their back to the ball.....4-5 years in this league, you start and you can't rotate and run...bad teaching. Janoris was talented, but without 'deep 9' tech....Fish failure....now Janoris is a great player, no surprise.

I am a bit worried about Tru Johnson fitting Wade's system. Tru can't go the full game in bump and run coverage.....unless the WR runs a 4.6....even then, maybe not. That is why they were trying to trade Tru (and the $16 mill, too). ALL only opinion mon frereule.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
One thing about Coach Bou though is that he did his best work with castoffs from other teams and guys who had some playing under their belt. Where he failed miserably was bringing along young and raw talent. And using that insight that Mack provided, it kind of ties together IMO.
I think another issue is the lack of pro style fundamentals for linemen coming out of college. 75% of the players coming out of college ran some form of a spread or pistol offense. These guys aren't any more prepared to play than Goff was. Throwing them in and expecting them to just adjust their technique is a recipe for disaster. This issue impacts every position on offense, but the QBs and tackles seem to have the toughest time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tom Mack was in 12 pro bowls, I think....
I just checked on this ^ Fact for you. Actually Mack was in 11 Pro Bowls, he was named 1st string All Pro in 1969, and he was Elected to the Hall of Fame in 1999! ( Eric Dickerson went in the same year!!)
I got the stats fro ProFootball Referance.com

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I could listen to those legends talk all day (and I think Hardy pretty much did...he may STILL be rambling). VERY encouraged to hear what they said about Coach McVay and Coach Kromer. That is high praise from those guys.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I just checked on this ^ Fact for you. Actually Mack was in 11 Pro Bowls, he was named 1st string All Pro in 1969, and he was Elected to the Hall of Fame in 1999! ( Eric Dickerson went in the same year!!)
I got the stats fro ProFootball Referance.com
Thanks for the info!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What I found most telling from Mack's comments was: a year ago, the coaches were focused more on scheme than the technique fundamentals. And this year, the fundamentals aren't being neglected.

That's ESPECIALLY important because the scheme was hot garbage. So we had a coaching staff NOT teaching technique and expecting guys to execute a totally craptastic scheme.

Awesome. Why not kick each guy in the nuts before each snap since we were seemingly trying to up the difficulty level by a factor of 10?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sean McVay makes Jeff Fisher look like a buffoon.
200.webp

We get it. You hate Fisher.