Hall of Famer: Tom Mack makes a compelling argument why the OL coaching is better

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
From Max

OK. When #65 says it, I'm in. I now trust the new OL coaching.

[www.therams.com]

Let the autoplay go and listen to Dennis Harrah gush over McVay and Kromer as well. Just spiked my kool aid up a notch. Good to hear that McVay is in tune with what the assignments of the O line are. He and Kromer should be able to weed out all the silly mental mistakes and drill, wait for it, technique lol. Kromer might be the most important hire outside of McVay.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The is truly a great Presser with Mack, If he hasn't had the opportunity to say these same thing to the team, I hope he will! Or at least I hope our present players get a chance to here this!!
I love the way he put everything into perspective!!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Good stuff!! All the former players were well spoken and had nothing but wonderful things to say about our staff and young players. That's what we like to hear!!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It wasn't just Mack either; watch Dennis Harrah's comments and you see a guy who said our new head coach is "young" but he sees "10" all around. Both mention the difference last year to this year, that they saw with their own eyes, wrt technique. It's a big deal, and a great indicator for us.

I've already been loading up the Kool-Aid pitcher. Caution be damned. But after hearing those two guys I am pretty damn sure we're going to see this young group of OL make strides. They just have to ensure they're not putting a turd in the punchbowl, and I presume everyone knows which OL I'm talkin about there. :p

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The linemen put a great streak together to end 2015. It was like 6-7 games without a sack and very few penalties. I remember one game with none.

My point, is that they are capable of better play. Good coaching can bring that back.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Refreshing to hear our old-time linemen from yesteryear speak of McVay & Kromer in such high terms. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can't get excited about our future after listening to these former pros. Would have loved being a fly on the wall while Jackie Slater was questioning the coach with the entire OL in the room. Great vids, thanks for the link !

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kromer is the real deal. His track record speaks for itself. He's Bill Callahan's protege. It's good to see more and more people confirm that McVay is the real deal as well.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kromer is the real deal. His track record speaks for itself. He's Bill Callahan's protege.

Many understood the importance of the offensive line hire and listening to, two of the finest offensive linemen in Ram history converse about the offensive linemen actually being instructed on technique and not just assignments is refreshing. It's a young group, but Kromer has a degree in education and he has spoken about being a teacher first and foremost.

McVay is a great organizer and to this point the job does not seem too big for him like it was for Scott Linehan and he also has not alienated himself like Steve Spagnuolo. Team is on the rise Gentlemen and I am truly looking forward to seeing less of Johnny Hekker this year.

Last edited:

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
What I found most telling from Mack's comments was: a year ago, the coaches were focused more on scheme than the technique fundamentals. And this year, the fundamentals aren't being neglected.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My first-ever OP on the internet was about how important the o-line is and how bad the one that Fisher was putting together was.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dennis Harrah says ".. There are too many restrictions in todays game .. turn them loose and let them Play .. Like Gladiators!.. "

arena.png

AND I FOR ONE AGREE!!!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
What I found most telling from Mack's comments was: a year ago, the coaches were focused more on scheme than the technique fundamentals. And this year, the fundamentals aren't being neglected.
Sean McVay makes Jeff Fisher look like a buffoon.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
Tom Mack was candid. He didn't just throw around a lot of generalizations, he was specific. He compared last years meetings that he went to with the ones he attended this year. He said that last year the OL was focused on their assignment, but not taught how to execute it. This year they are focused on technique.

I told myself that I wasn't drinking any Kool Aid until after I've seen at least one preseason game. But this insight may change all that. Once taught how to block, especially pass block, we may see a different offense. All the comments heard were positive, which is not a surprise. Dennis Harrah, Jackie Slater, Torrey Holt. I didn't know what to take from what he had to say about the qb's. He said Goff looked good, needs to work on timing and other things that come with working. He also said that Mannion looked really good.

I hope all this is really true and not the usual OTA/Mini camp hype.​

Ram65

Legend
Tom Mack was candid. He didn't just throw around a lot of generalizations, he was specific. He compared last years meetings that he went to with the ones he attended this year. He said that last year the OL was focused on their assignment, but not taught how to execute it. This year they are focused on technique.

I told myself that I wasn't drinking any Kool Aid until after I've seen at least one preseason game. But this insight may change all that. Once taught how to block, especially pass block, we may see a different offense. All the comments heard were positive, which is not a surprise. Dennis Harrah, Jackie Slater, Torrey Holt. I didn't know what to take from what he had to say about the qb's. He said Goff looked good, needs to work on timing and other things that come with working. He also said that Mannion looked really good.

I hope all this is really true and not the usual OTA/Mini camp hype.​

Good report. The technique teacher comments are refreshing. Reading into Holt's comments I think he was saying that Mannion improved a lot from his rookie year when they were still in St Louis. Will see how they both keep progressing.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Good stuff. Mack, Hannah, Slater were my heroes like all the Rams back then were. I love to hear what Mack is saying and it with a lot of other speak I hear coming from the old Rams vets is encouraging. But I also take it a little with a grain of salt. When teams bring back their legends for recognition, they aren't likely to say unflattering things about the current team. And that's respect for the organization and the fraternity of HORNS. With that said, I'm also drinking the Rams milk and my expectations for the coming season are SOARING!!!! Let's shock the world again RAMS!!!!
View: https://youtu.be/zj8istSAMoY?t=48

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The linemen put a great streak together to end 2015. It was like 6-7 games without a sack and very few penalties. I remember one game with none.

My point, is that they are capable of better play. Good coaching can bring that back.

One thing about Coach Bou though is that he did his best work with castoffs from other teams and guys who had some playing under their belt. Where he failed miserably was bringing along young and raw talent. And using that insight that Mack provided, it kind of ties together IMO.