Half of all Americans don't want sons playing Football

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My kids did play in grade school not high school ,their HS didn't offer it. That said I'm not disappointed they didn't play in HS because they weren't going to get the payoff from it i.e. scholarship or pro career, and they don't have the ravages playing takes on the body / brain.

I love the game and am glad those who play professionally are well paid because they sacrifice a lot for our entertainment. It was a mixed bag for me and I wouldn't have forbid them to play but my preference was that they play if they were fast enough to at least have a shot at the next level.

The more we learn about CTE and the cumulative effects of the impact the more I believe the sport is in peril especially in the smaller schools where athletic budgets are limited and insurance rates climb to make the economies of scale prohibitive.
Sometimes I "wish I didn't know now what i didn't know then " about the game cuz I love it love it love it

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I wonder where most who would hold their son out of FB stand on letting their kids play soccer? Recent studies are showing that heading the ball repeatedly over time (as players do in practice and games) may cause brain damage.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like how people just assume you coddle your kids if you discourage them from playing football. It's hardly a life milestone like driving or a noble choice like being a member of the military. It's a sport, and one with a very high injury risk. It's a risk/reward decision. If your son is 6'3 240 it may potentially pay for college. If you're like my son, who is shaping up to be a very dad-like 5'7 145, it's probably not the best of ideas. Encouraging him to play soccer or baseball instead of football is common sense in that situation. Doesn't mean I would forbid it, just discourage it.
Agreed....football, skydiving, drinking, driving, joining the military....all risk vs reward decisions.
If a kid doesn't like it and doesn't want to deal with football he will bow out pretty quickly. My son who played football for years just sort of laughs when a baseball coach talks about how tough practices are going to be. He has said the hardest baseball practice he has ever had was easier than the average football practice. Different games. The injury risk for kids has been a bit overstated. If you asked people where kids are safe vs where they are not a lot of people would probably say school is dangerous (thanks media)....in reality school is the safest place kids spend their time (for serious injury/death). Home, of course, is the most dangerous.
So, life is all about choices.
One of my sons football coaches also taught boxing for a local city club. He wanted my son (being a tall lefty with quick hands) to box....really gave him the hard sell. He was up for it....mom put the foot down with the boxing. She was probably right about that one.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My Son wanted go out for Football,(although he had a 90 mph fast ball in Baseball) So I supported him. I felt that's what a parent should do! He played OG, and was pretty good.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I wonder where most who would hold their son out of FB stand on letting their kids play soccer? Recent studies are showing that heading the ball repeatedly over time (as players do in practice and games) may cause brain damage.

They stand in denial is where , I've seen several head to head collisions when opposing players are heading the ball and I haven't seen very many soccer games AT ALL, the game has never held much allure for me.

Debacled

Starter
If I ever have kids I'll let them decide if they wanna play.

What is all this crap about risk vs reward? When I played in high school I did it because I liked to. Never in my dreams did I think football was going to make me a better person or lead to riches, I just wanted to play because it was fun. Its the same reason I did any sport. The same reason I did flag football in college. The same reason I still play on occasion on weekends.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
All 3 of my son's played. I enjoyed watching them have fun... and I was even able to enjoy watching them have to take a hit. Was I a little nervous for them... of course, but I would never have considered not letting them play a sport they wanted to play. I played football, and I'm sure that my experience in playing helped me feel more comfortable with my boys playing.