Hacket tells Rams no

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
You actually know none of that. I get that it is your opinion of the reason we don't have a head coach yet but I really don't buy that is really what is going on here. Fish is known by virtually everyone in the NFL. He has no doubt felt the water through conversations with potential prospects. Do you have links to these phone conversations? I'm guessing that Fish is not out there telling everyone who he is calling or what was discussed.

He may very well have had discussions with several potential OC individuals but we don't have any idea of what was discussed or if the lack of interest was on behalf of the likes of Gase and Shanahan or if it was on behalf of Fish/Snead. You also don't know if, for example, Gase had already decided to stay with Fox all along. As far as Shanahan goes, he was supposedly going to be Quinn's OC if he took the job in Cleveland last year. Seems kind of logical that he would go to ATL with Quinn this year then - no?

I'm just not buying into the idea that Fish can't get anyone to come in and interview. And I don't buy into the idea that we had to grab one of the known names right away in order to prove the job was sought after. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the calls to Gase and Shanahan were simply to see if they indeed were committed to Fox and Quinn respectfully and then to move on to discussing other football subjects or other potential prospects.

Hackett is the only outside candidate for the coordinator’s job in St. Louis known to have interviewed with the Rams, although Fisher did have phone conversations with Kyle Shanahan and Adam Gase.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/new-coordinator-figures-to-be-in-house-hire-pd.35072/

You are free to believe what you want. No one will ever be proven correct on this. I just look at the situation the Rams are going through, having no QB, a bad O-line, and seeing no one even wants to come in to interview and it tells me there's a high probability the Rams' OC position is not looked well upon. I'm not the only one thinking this, either. The Rams are the only team in the NFL that don't have an OC. I dunno. Like I said, believe what you want. I wouldn't want this job, though, if I could still find something else.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No, people highly regarded Trent Green and many of the other offensive weapons we had. Martz probably didn't have the tight leash that Hackett would have had with Fisher, also. The team didn't have the relocation issue looming, either. I don't understand why people don't think that is an issue. It obviously is. Everyone the Rams have talked to outside the organization has declined the offer.

Martz was instrumental in them going away from Banks, and adding Green. All those moves were not already made when Mad Mike came to the Rams on 23 Jan, as they signed Green in Feb. He came to a team that was very much in question and leading the entire league in losses over that decade as of the time of his addition.

V3

Hall of Fame
Martz was instrumental in them going away from Banks, and adding Green. All those moves were not already made when Mad Mike came to the Rams on 23 Jan, as they signed Green in Feb. He came to a team that was very much in question and leading the entire league in losses over that decade as of the time of his addition.
Fair enough. Martz did make a step up, however. He was a qb coach that by coming here got his first chance at being an OC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
True on the step up, but that does get compensated by how terrible the Rams were for so long at that time.

Bottom line for me is the real difference was that Martz was bold. Instead of sticking with Norv Turner, who he had said was the reason for joining the Skins, he left the protective shelter of one of his mentors and struck out on his own. To me that contrasts strongly with Hackett taking an inferior job with the Jags just because his mentor was there.

I'd tell him to grow a pair, if I were Fish and thought he was the right guy. But of course that would be wrong. :LOL:

Last edited:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
You actually know none of that. I get that it is your opinion of the reason we don't have a head coach yet but I really don't buy that is really what is going on here. Fish is known by virtually everyone in the NFL. He has no doubt felt the water through conversations with potential prospects. Do you have links to these phone conversations? I'm guessing that Fish is not out there telling everyone who he is calling or what was discussed.

He may very well have had discussions with several potential OC individuals but we don't have any idea of what was discussed or if the lack of interest was on behalf of the likes of Gase and Shanahan or if it was on behalf of Fish/Snead. You also don't know if, for example, Gase had already decided to stay with Fox all along. As far as Shanahan goes, he was supposedly going to be Quinn's OC if he took the job in Cleveland last year. Seems kind of logical that he would go to ATL with Quinn this year then - no?

I'm just not buying into the idea that Fish can't get anyone to come in and interview. And I don't buy into the idea that we had to grab one of the known names right away in order to prove the job was sought after. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the calls to Gase and Shanahan were simply to see if they indeed were committed to Fox and Quinn respectfully and then to move on to discussing other football subjects or other potential prospects.

It was reported somewhere that Fisher spoke on the phone with Gase and I believe Shanahan. I would have to do some digging on STL but I'm sure JT reported it.