Hacket tells Rams no

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
P.S. It killed me Fisher left to go to the whiners!!!

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I remember last year or the year before when shorty was interviewing for Hc positions, fisher said that he if schotty left he would hire an oc from within. And he mentioned cignetti. He also stated that he wanted stability in the system and didn't want to change systems... I wonder what has changed?

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sadly I'm 41 years old, in 1985 is when I became a football fan (grade 5) big Jerry Gray fan and ED fan, So lets hope some of the older LA Rams rams can educate us both on Chuck Knox...
Re: the old logo, its simply a sweet logo just like your logo. its hilarious!!!!!!
LOL! Yep my logo is credit to @RamzFanz for making it! Funny as hell and very fitting for the tards that think Bradford doesn't have the talent just those damn injuries! Anyways, I'm just young enough to remember that 89' season with us beating Giants and getting creamed by the Whiners but have no memories of ED or Jerry gray (without google he played DB right?) sadly :(

I love hearing from some of the older guys what happened in some of those older games, the fanbases reactions, thoughts, and vibes. Very nice to hear from them on topics and subjects pertaining to things we weren't old enough to understand properly! :)

P.S. It killed me Fisher left to go to the whiners!!!

That helped those stupid a holes for years....

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember last year or the year before when shorty was interviewing for Hc positions, fisher said that he if schotty left he would hire an oc from within. And he mentioned cignetti. He also stated that he wanted stability in the system and didn't want to change systems... I wonder what has changed?
It has to be others feeding into the pot for us to look elsewhere.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Screw Buddy Hackett.. :)

Buddy-hackett.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like this piece of his resume.
The results arent pretty though. Not sure what kind of an offense they ran but they only scored 20-25 ppg and had no 2,000 passers and only 2 1,000 yard rushers (1005 in one year)
Robinson only had 1 winning season in 6 years.
Probably better off forgetting this part of the resume....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So lets hope some of the older LA Rams rams can educate us both on Chuck Knox...
As an Older Fan, who's been around a Long, Long time, I remember ' Ground Chuck ' Knox all too well his Winning record speaks volumes. But he ran the ball so much some times you wondered if he ever heard of the ' Foreward-Pass'! :LOL: ( His career win % was .589 with the Rams, But it dropped to .559 when he went to Seattle!)

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The more I think about this the more convinced I have become that the Rams dodged a bullet with Hackett. First off if you look back at Marrone, he hasn't exactly been stellar outside of his time as OC with the Saints. And in that role, he was under a very good offensive mind.

Hackett, meanwhile, going back to the guy who "restricted his play calling" tells me everything I need to know. Goes back, IMO, to him being extremely risky as a hire for Fish. So honestly my guess is that he knew he wasn't gonna get the job, as some have already mentioned. And if he were to get it would he be good enough to be a head coach on the offensive side of the ball and own it? Unlikely given the above.

Funny thing is that if you consider the guys on Fish's staff, they are actually safer hires than many of these outside guys since he has seen them actually coach, and can probably project with some accuracy how they'll be able to handle the coordinator level. His worst hire, Walton, was a guy he hired based on trusting the estimation of his protege Schwartz. I don't think, at least, that he had directly worked under Fish could be wrong. Same with Schotty, for that matter. While I don't think Fish was disappointed with Schotty himself, fact remains this offense did not evolve the way he wanted and if he had to do it again I'm not convinced Schotty would be the hire.

Either way, the key is Fish choosing a great coach. Choose the guy who gets through to the players, who translates what he knows to the field.

V3

Hall of Fame
What a foolish man.
Why is it foolish? Why would anyone want to come here with all the relocation crap and no qb? Add to that, prospective hires thinking Fisher will want to limit what the new OC can do. This is just not a desirable job. If I were an OC, I'd wait a year too to see what else opened up on other teams.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
As Usual, Knox Moves Quickly
January 12, 1992 | MIKE PENNER
In his first official act as Ram head coach, Act II, Chuck Knox grabbed and rattled the franchise by firing the franchise's once and future Fisher King, defensive coordinator-in-standing and head coach-in-waiting Jeff Fisher. It can be construed as an act of vanity; there was no way Knox and his Irish pride would ever agree to play stopgap and transition team to the 33-year-old Fisher's rising star.

Knox Proves That He's in Charge : Rams: Georgia Frontiere asks her new coach to keep Jeff Fisher. But defensive coordinator is fired, changing team's long-range plan.
January 11, 1992 | TIM KAWAKAMI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Jeff Fisher, who came to the Rams one season ago with the immediate responsibility of rebuilding a ruined defense and with the unspoken understanding that he would be a featured part of the team's long-range plan, crated up his belongings Friday and left Rams Park. Fisher's role as the team's heir apparent, devised by the Ram front office, almost certainly vanished with him as new Coach Chuck Knox plotted his own course at breakneck pace.

Holy crap FIsher could of been our coach a long time ago! lol
Never knew any of this.... Do you know anything about Knox at the time? Was the fan base happy or sad about these moves? I ask you because of your avatar and assume your a long time rams fan, the older generation has to educate the younger rams generation since we weren't football competent! lol

p.s. interesting about Fisher and Robinson thank you

Corbin,
You're killing me
I remember this move and suppressed it

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is it foolish? Why would anyone want to come here with all the relocation crap and no qb? Add to that, prospective hires thinking Fisher will want to limit what the new OC can do. This is just not a desirable job. If I were an OC, I'd wait a year too to see what else opened up on other teams.

Because fortune favors the bold IMO.

Running back to Marrone's protective shadow strikes me as a b!tch move. Taking a leap and putting himself out there to tie together the pieces the Rams have assembled, that is what he should have done. IF he was the right guy. So apparently he's not, and I'm glad he's out.

V3

Hall of Fame
Because fortune favors the bold IMO.

Running back to Marrone's protective shadow strikes me as a b!tch move. Taking a leap and putting himself out there to tie together the pieces the Rams have assembled, that is what he should have done. IF he was the right guy. So apparently he's not, and I'm glad he's out.
Fortune only favors the bold if the person feels they have a chance at being successful. Hackett probably didn't think this team is as close as people here seem to think. We need a QB and O-line help and getting a QB is not easy. He probably doesn't like Bradford and doesn't think they'll be filling the QB position any time soon since we aren't going to be picking high in the draft. Trading up in the draft doesn't work very often, either. So between not having a QB any time soon and not wanting to have to move AGAIN in a year, I can understand why he didn't want the job. If some other team that had a QB and stability had called him, I'm sure he would have taken the job. Why go to a job that had a high probability of making your resume look worse?

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fortune only favors the bold if the person feels they have a chance at being successful. Hackett probably didn't think this team is as close as people here seem to think. We need a QB and O-line help and getting a QB is not easy. He probably doesn't like Bradford and doesn't think they'll be filling the QB position any time soon since we aren't going to be picking high in the draft. Trading up in the draft doesn't work very often, either. So between not having a QB any time soon and not wanting to have to move AGAIN in a year, I can understand why he didn't want the job. If some other team that had a QB and stability had called him, I'm sure he would have taken the job. Why go to a job that had a high probability of making your resume look worse?

First.. This team is MUCH closer than stinky old Jax. There's a reason the Rams are 1/25 odds of winning the Super Bowl next year.

Secondly, as I mentioned before in another thread.. coaching an offense against a really good defense in practice every day will only make you a better coach.. and you will get chances to make more errors (experimentation) since you know the D will get you the ball back.

Lastly, He's never seen Bradford up close and personal so what makes you think he doesn't like him.. he's much better than any of the QB's in Buffalo, granted Bortles might be better but who knows..

GIMME the job!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Following that logic Martz would have turned his nose up to the Rams in '99.

V3

Hall of Fame
Following that logic Martz would have turned his nose up to the Rams in '99.
No, people highly regarded Trent Green and many of the other offensive weapons we had. Martz probably didn't have the tight leash that Hackett would have had with Fisher, also. The team didn't have the relocation issue looming, either. I don't understand why people don't think that is an issue. It obviously is. Everyone the Rams have talked to outside the organization has declined the offer.

V3

Hall of Fame
First.. This team is MUCH closer than stinky old Jax. There's a reason the Rams are 1/25 odds of winning the Super Bowl next year.

Secondly, as I mentioned before in another thread.. coaching an offense against a really good defense in practice every day will only make you a better coach.. and you will get chances to make more errors (experimentation) since you know the D will get you the ball back.

Lastly, He's never seen Bradford up close and personal so what makes you think he doesn't like him.. he's much better than any of the QB's in Buffalo, granted Bortles might be better but who knows..

GIMME the job!!
Bradford's ability is no longer the biggest issue with him. It's durability. You don't need an up close and personal look to see he's injury prone now. Also, Jacksonville has a well regarded QB. Those two facts instantly make the job better. If you don't have a QB, you have nothing. The only way teams can win a Super Bowl without a great QB is with an historically elite defense. The Rams D is good but it's not historically elite. Also, Fisher, whether it's warranted or not, has the reputation of holding offenses back and keeping them conservative. I don't know too many OC's that like that. There's also the fact that Jacksonville isn't moving in a year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Everyone the Rams have talked to outside the organization has declined the offer.
The only one I'm aware of that the Rams have actually talked to or interviewed is Hackett. I also haven't heard that they offered him anything.

Indy refused to let the Rams interview Chud for obvious reasons so that isn't one either.

The moving thing is not a big deal in the NFL because every one of these guys knows the position is a potentially transient position. I'm sure if they bring in an OC from outside, he will simply keep his current home (if he indeed has one) and rent a place in St Louis until it is all figured out. I fail to see where a coach is declining the job because he might have to move out to.... Eaghad! Kahleefornia!

For all we know, the second interview didn't go well and neither side was interesting in entertaining an offer.

V3

Hall of Fame
The only one I'm aware of that the Rams have actually talked to or interviewed is Hackett. I also haven't heard that they offered him anything.

Indy refused to let the Rams interview Chud for obvious reasons so that isn't one either.

The moving thing is not a big deal in the NFL because every one of these guys knows the position is a potentially transient position. I'm sure if they bring in an OC from outside, he will simply keep his current home (if he indeed has one) and rent a place in St Louis until it is all figured out. I fail to see where a coach is declining the job because he might have to move out to.... Eaghad! Kahleefornia!

For all we know, the second interview didn't go well and neither side was interesting in entertaining an offer.
They phone interviewed(didn't even bother to come in to visit) Gase and Shanahan and tried to get interviews with others but they all mysteriously never had second interviews or didn't return the Rams' calls. The only outside OC I'm aware of that actually made it to Stl for an interview was Hackett and he declined the Rams for a lesser job in Jax. When you can't find outsiders to even come interview, it should tell you something. And it's not necessarily the destination of LA that could be factoring into the decisions. It's more about having to move all over again in less than a year. It's not just that, either. No QB, and a restrictive head coach could also factor in. The bottom line is, the Rams can't get anyone to even come here to interview for the job. To me, that speaks volumes.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
They phone interviewed(didn't even bother to come in to visit) Gase and Shanahan and tried to get interviews with others but they all mysteriously never had second interviews or didn't return the Rams' calls. The only outside OC I'm aware of that actually made it to Stl for an interview was Hackett and he declined the Rams for a lesser job in Jax. When you can't find outsiders to even come interview, it should tell you something. And it's not necessarily the destination of LA that could be factoring into the decisions. It's more about having to move all over again in less than a year. It's not just that, either. No QB, and a restrictive head coach could also factor in. The bottom line is, the Rams can't get anyone to even come here to interview for the job. To me, that speaks volumes.
You actually know none of that. I get that it is your opinion of the reason we don't have a head coach yet but I really don't buy that is really what is going on here. Fish is known by virtually everyone in the NFL. He has no doubt felt the water through conversations with potential prospects. Do you have links to these phone conversations? I'm guessing that Fish is not out there telling everyone who he is calling or what was discussed.

He may very well have had discussions with several potential OC individuals but we don't have any idea of what was discussed or if the lack of interest was on behalf of the likes of Gase and Shanahan or if it was on behalf of Fish/Snead. You also don't know if, for example, Gase had already decided to stay with Fox all along. As far as Shanahan goes, he was supposedly going to be Quinn's OC if he took the job in Cleveland last year. Seems kind of logical that he would go to ATL with Quinn this year then - no?

I'm just not buying into the idea that Fish can't get anyone to come in and interview. And I don't buy into the idea that we had to grab one of the known names right away in order to prove the job was sought after. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the calls to Gase and Shanahan were simply to see if they indeed were committed to Fox and Quinn respectfully and then to move on to discussing other football subjects or other potential prospects.