Hackenburg

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Since Christian has been less then overly impressive after his Frosh season could it be he drops?
I don't know whether he may declare or not But if he does could he drop low enough to be a 2nd or 3rd round Gem? As a 6' 4" 225+ Pocket passer he certainly looks the part. Christian was one of the top QB recruits in the Nation and I for one was enamored. Physically he says NFL prospect, good arm makes all the throws and has pretty good feet for a bigger guy Now my concerns.
He has trouble with the blitz making poor reads. He has trouble going through his progression often locking in on his primary receiver. He will take unnecessary sacks due to his lack of urgency in the pocket.
Now why I may still be interested at a bargain deal (lower than anticipated round).
He has played in a system that is not suited to him his receivers have been below average his O Line has often been sub par ( 7 different combinations in 11 games) and I don't believe he sees eye to eye with the offensive Coordinator. It is remarkable how this sounds very much like the Rams situation and Foles. I don't know that he makes what I thought would be a certain transition to an NFL starter and very productive one at that but is it worth a shot?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
LOL, nope. No pocket presence. Reminds me of Gabbert in that he has all the tools but zero ability to stay in the pocket, take pressure, locks on, happy feet, etc.. Gabbert didn't really have an O-line or receivers his junior year. Didn't even have a running back because Derrick Washington raped multiple women and was kicked off the team.

He's basically Gabbert all over again.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am just uncertain how much of his difficulties are the system and more so his discomfort in the system.
I think things would be very different for him had O'Brien remained as his OC.
He definitely was much more of a project from the mental and technical side of the game than anticipated when recruited.
His confidence has also taken a blow after being slaughtered in 2014 it's just a shame that at 18 with a bright future t=your OC bolts to the NFL and in comes your worse case scenario a System not to your strengths subpar skillset players and a weak OL. Very destructive to the youthful Psyche of a young athlete.

FRO

Legend
He has great arm strength and size. I'm just not sure he feels the game that well and I'm not sure that is something he can really improve on enough to make it not an issue. I think he would be a great 4th or 5th round developmental prospect. I think the Foles comparison is a great one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh, he's going to "drop" but he's no gem. The kid is a lottery ticket. Terribly low odds that you win big (if everything goes your way)...but odds are that you get nothing and wasted your money.

5th round pick at best for me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
LOL, nope. No pocket presence. Reminds me of Gabbert in that he has all the tools but zero ability to stay in the pocket, take pressure, locks on, happy feet, etc.. Gabbert didn't really have an O-line or receivers his junior year. Didn't even have a running back because Derrick Washington raped multiple women and was kicked off the team.

I agree with the first one but disagree with the other two. He stands flat footed and scans the field, but he throws flat footed too often and his receivers are either not open or he just doesn't see it. O'Brien gave him a system where he was told who to throw too. I don't think Hackenburg reads the field well with a pass rush at him.

I'm just not sure he feels the game that well
I think this is spot on as one of his main problems. Lack of instinct for football.

Hackenburg is the ultimate tease. He can look great at times, even entire games, and then look terrible at other times, even entire games. He makes some of the most beautiful throws. He is great on the sideline stuff and his freshman year he was throwing on the run with great accuracy. But, O'Brien really simplified things for him. So, is he just an arm? Not sure. OBrien said he was the most intelligent player he has coached. But he was sacked a ton and his receivers don't run good routes and he rushes throws, like WR screens, then he makes gourgeous deep throw and then takes two sacks and throws one short. Up and down. He had a great game against Illinois where he was really making nice throws all game. That was about the only game like that this year and Illinois had no pass rush.

I wouldn't want the Rams to take him. Fisher has no idea about how to develop a QB and he hates offense,so Hackenberg wont last with the Rams. If he was picked by Green Bay or New England, then sure he may have a chance to grow, then he will look great as a backup in a few games and they will trade him for a first rounder and he will never play well again. Matt Flynn all over again.

Playing QB in the NFL is so tough, that even the best college QBs struggle with it. Guys like Mariota and Luck have a feel for the game though that gets them through when things are not going great. I don't think Hackenberg has that to fall back on.

I hope I am wrong and the offense and coaching staff are the reason but I don't think so.