Gurleys Production is Directly Related to OL Personnel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GoldenAges

UDFA
Name
Gold
I just did a bit of number crunching regarding Gurley and the Rams OL this year. The Rams FO did an exceptional job of drafting a power running game. Unfortunately, injuries have set back what was an unstoppable run game.

For the most part GRob and Barnes have been starting all year, so I am going to focus on the other 3 positions.

Gurley averaged 152 yards per game with Saffold, Brown and Havenstein all in the lineup for 2 games.

Gurley averaged 130 yards per game when Reynolds replaced Saffold and with Havenstein and Brown still in the lineup.

In the 2 games Havenstein missed, Gurley averaged 77 yards per game.

In the Chicago game with Reynolds and Brown starting and a banged up Havenstein attempting to play, Gurley got 45 yards on only 12 carries. Wichman also played in this game.

In the Baltimore game with both Brown and Havenstein out, Gurley had his worst game of the year, rushing for 66 yards and averaging 2.64 yards per carry. Reynolds, Wichman and Donnal started.

Looking forward, it is pretty clear to me that the Rams had a great formula for success in this past draft by picking run blocking offensive linemen and a great runner. If the Rams invest in a center and another guard this next draft, the rushing offense could be nearly unstoppable.

With Brown and Havenstein healthy next year, I expect to see more of the same dominating running game that we saw earlier in the year with those guys healthy. Gurley is a great RB as far as I'm concerned, but without good run blocking, all of that talent can only go so far.

FRO

Legend
Defenses also realized we can't throw, so they keyed in on the run. The two games you highlight our passing efficiency sucks.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The only offense that is effective comes from the LOS
1) Hand off to Gurley
2) Jet sweep to Tavon
3) Bubble screen to Tavon

As i said a month ago it was only a matter of time until defensive coordinators drew up a simple plan. Dismiss anything beyond 5 yards.
Watch and read Foles and Tavon and stack the box for Gurley.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
honestly a nice write up but I think most of us have figured that out at this point

GoldenAges

UDFA
Name
Gold
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Defenses also realized we can't throw, so they keyed in on the run. The two games you highlight our passing efficiency sucks.

Unfortunately, for the Rams 'passing efficiency' is a huge oxymoron.

Outside of the opening game against Seattle the Rams have not topped 200 yards passing in any game. Kenny Britt is not exactly striking fear into anyone outside of Rams fans when he steps on the field.

The lack of a passing attack has been fairly consistent this year, but with a healthy OL Gurley was unstoppable regardless.

GoldenAges

UDFA
Name
Gold
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Arizona game was probably where it became obvious to me that this OL is legit. Gurley had his way with that defense in their house and there were holes wide enough to drive a bus through at times.

I am really excited for next year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams FO did an exceptional job of drafting a power running game. Unfortunately, injuries have set back what was an unstoppable run game.
Agree. Everything here is built off of the ability to run. Teams can stack the box all they want, but all that does is put less defenders at the 2nd level if Gurley were to break through that first line of defense. Hence all the big runs. And getting defenses to key on Gurley obviously gives the passing game an advantage with playaction and misdirection plays. Unfortunately, that same O-line that's been injured was pivotal in setting up those passes as well. Now, just like in 2007, everything this team is built to do has been destroyed by playing backups who aren't particularly strong in any facet. They're just serviceable and kind of easily pushed around. Maybe Battle will provide some anchor, but I don't know that it's gonna be enough. At this point I think it might be wise to spread out the offense and get defenders off the line. It's either that, or go with 12 and 13 personnel and pull the guards. I'm not sure I would send a fullback into the teeth of the defense anymore. If there's too much penetration (and there is), then the fullback is only going to clog up whatever running lane opens.

It's a shame. Because like you said, the plan was going to work before injuries screwed it all up (again).

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
The Arizona game was probably where it became obvious to me that this OL is legit. Gurley had his way with that defense in their house and there were holes wide enough to drive a bus through at times.

I am really excited for next year.

how many years have we been saying this?

jap

Legend
What's is interesting is that this young OL has still not matured or gelled as yet. Furthermore, TGII has not reached his physical peak since the ACL injury either. The Horns have to get their offense straightened out by next season because the Gurley Express! could be primed for a monster season.

We need receivers (WR's, TE's, & RB's) who can run decent routes and actually catch the ball with minimal fumbles. We need receivers who will commit to blocking with gusto whenever one of their teammates is toting the rock---especially constant TD producers, Todd & Tavon. We need a QB who can read defensive patterns, go through the entire progression list, adjust on the fly if necessary, and throw with accuracy, touch, and strength. We also need an OC with a legitimate clue on how to take full advantage of his team's strengths and how to mask/minimize weaknesses.

Get this all done, and we can take the league by storm & party as we did in 1999.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm sure the line is a big problem. But when you have eleven guys totally focused on number 30 even a good line would have trouble opening holes. There has to be at least a semblance of a passing game to keep them honest. Right now with these quarterbacks there isn't one. Ever wonder why Tavon gets so many yards per carry? Everyone's focused on Gurley. Wish they would give Tavon a few more carries.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It was working, but the rushing and passing attack are both doomed for failure when you have this many injuries on the offensive line.

Sadly for our offense, it is next year again, and way too soon.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Agree. Everything here is built off of the ability to run. Teams can stack the box all they want, but all that does is put less defenders at the 2nd level if Gurley were to break through that first line of defense. Hence all the big runs. And getting defenses to key on Gurley obviously gives the passing game an advantage with playaction and misdirection plays. Unfortunately, that same O-line that's been injured was pivotal in setting up those passes as well. Now, just like in 2007, everything this team is built to do has been destroyed by playing backups who aren't particularly strong in any facet. They're just serviceable and kind of easily pushed around. Maybe Battle will provide some anchor, but I don't know that it's gonna be enough. At this point I think it might be wise to spread out the offense and get defenders off the line. It's either that, or go with 12 and 13 personnel and pull the guards. I'm not sure I would send a fullback into the teeth of the defense anymore. If there's too much penetration (and there is), then the fullback is only going to clog up whatever running lane opens.

It's a shame. Because like you said, the plan was going to work before injuries screwed it all up (again).
You are right about that, at this point a fullback is pointless, but two tight ends may work against some defenses.

fearsomefour

Legend
It is hard for me not to wonder about the injury rate on the line. It seems to be an ongoing saga. Is it bad luck only or is the team missing something training wise?
Hard to believe bad luck could last this long. Its also hard to believe a pro organization would be missing some obvious thing. Bad luck it is I guess.
I like the potential of Williams, Battle and Wichmann but they are green beyond green. This time may serve as valuable for them as things progress but it comes at a cost of course. Thats the problem with a youth movement, there is just so little experience.
I still like the approach the FO took with the line this year. Long term it makes sense and may pay huge dividends.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
1) Hand off to Gurley
2) Jet sweep to Tavon

As i said a month ago it was only a matter of time until defensive coordinators drew up a simple plan. Dismiss anything beyond 5 yards.
If you look at those 3 plays, their effectiveness opens a host of other stuff....And dudes are OPEN....That double fake to Gurley & Tavon, always has a wr OPEN down the field...We should hit that 3 times a game...but fail to...usually due to under-throws...No matter what the line combo is...why is that?

We need receivers (WR's, TE's, & RB's) who can run decent routes and actually catch the ball with minimal fumbles. We need receivers who will commit to blocking with gusto whenever one of their teammates is toting the rock---especially constant TD producers, Todd & Tavon. We need a QB who can read defensive patterns, go through the entire progression list, adjust on the fly if necessary, and throw with accuracy, touch, and strength.
I just watched the Balt. game...up to the 2min left in the 3rd, and we had a whole new line in...we were doing fine, but missing a lot of opportunities....fumbling, I didn't like the missed PAT...but the missed throws....stood out more than the missed blocks...def. I didn't see any drops....

@GoldenAges

After watching Balt., Barnes stands out as a constant weak link....not terrible, but allowing penetration seems to be the reason the run game was failing...Williams & Jerrigan owned the LOS...they were playing in our backfield..We needed to throw deep more to loosen them up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm sure the line is a big problem. But when you have eleven guys totally focused on number 30 even a good line would have trouble opening holes. There has to be at least a semblance of a passing game to keep them honest. Right now with these quarterbacks there isn't one. Ever wonder why Tavon gets so many yards per carry? Everyone's focused on Gurley. Wish they would give Tavon a few more carries.

I see things similarly. There can be no doubt the line's health has hurt this offense, but the problems go deeper than just the OL.

Foles looked so bad at QB that it makes me wonder if he and Cigs are on the same page with reads and gameplan approach. Kurt's comment about how he struggled with the Giants simply due to the order of reads in that offense is a great example IMO. Rams bring him in, sign him to an extension ffs, and after he is integral to early season upset wins his game degraded so badly that I am not certain it is all on him. Then we had the last game where the same thing happens, the QB looks out of sorts, missing open receivers and rushing throws for no reason. Those things do come back to the offensive staff. For Jeff Fisher right now does he have reason to think it is going to get better with a rookie QB and Foles/Mannion under Cigs? The one thing in Cigs favor is that the WRs are getting open in his scheme, but that alone is not enough when the players overall are not clicking in his scheme and executing. Foles is not that bad of a QB, he's an average/solid starter who should be flourishing with Gurley in the backfield, and if they do make an investment in QB high in the draft will this staff bring him along correctly? I will feel much better if Fish makes a change at OC to someone who can give us some offensive balance and develop the most important position on the field; the remainder of the offensive staff outside of Boudreau has to be questioned as well.

Then we have WR where this roster is just not good enough. Austin is a nice piece for a passing offense, and Cigs has done a better job scheming him in to things than Schotty did. But they need more man, I am tired of seeing guys like Givens, Quick and Bailey not live up to what they should be. Rams need to make a serious investment in the WR position and I do not want to see 2 to 3 year projects drafted. "Ready to play" has to be factored in with their selections instead of going value above all else with physical freaks.

TE is the same deal. OJ for example is the type of high-end prospect the Rams will drool over, but what they need is a guy like Henry who is more balanced run/pass and is more consistent in making the catch.

I realize I'm going in depth here but this offense's dysfunction runs from drafting to development to coaching to production on that side of the ball and it's BS. Only staff on this team who are doing their job in developing players are the defensive staff and Boudreau. Maybe Boras too, since I don't blame him for what a retard Cook is on the field and he has done a good job with Kendricks along with the limited players. The rest are in question IMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I see things similarly. There can be no doubt the line's health has hurt this offense, but the problems go deeper than just the OL.

Foles looked so bad at QB that it makes me wonder if he and Cigs are on the same page with reads and gameplan approach. Kurt's comment about how he struggled with the Giants simply due to the order of reads in that offense is a great example IMO. Rams bring him in, sign him to an extension ffs, and after he is integral to early season upset wins his game degraded so badly that I am not certain it is all on him. Then we had the last game where the same thing happens, the QB looks out of sorts, missing open receivers and rushing throws for no reason. Those things do come back to the offensive staff. For Jeff Fisher right now does he have reason to think it is going to get better with a rookie QB and Foles/Mannion under Cigs? The one thing in Cigs favor is that the WRs are getting open in his scheme, but that alone is not enough when the players overall are not clicking in his scheme and executing. Foles is not that bad of a QB, he's an average/solid starter who should be flourishing with Gurley in the backfield, and if they do make an investment in QB high in the draft will this staff bring him along correctly? I will feel much better if Fish makes a change at OC to someone who can give us some offensive balance and develop the most important position on the field; the remainder of the offensive staff outside of Boudreau has to be questioned as well.

Then we have WR where this roster is just not good enough. Austin is a nice piece for a passing offense, and Cigs has done a better job scheming him in to things than Schotty did. But they need more man, I am tired of seeing guys like Givens, Quick and Bailey not live up to what they should be. Rams need to make a serious investment in the WR position and I do not want to see 2 to 3 year projects drafted. "Ready to play" has to be factored in with their selections instead of going value above all else with physical freaks.

TE is the same deal. OJ for example is the type of high-end prospect the Rams will drool over, but what they need is a guy like Henry who is more balanced run/pass and is more consistent in making the catch.

I realize I'm going in depth here but this offense's dysfunction runs from drafting to development to coaching to production on that side of the ball and it's BS. Only staff on this team who are doing their job in developing players are the defensive staff and Boudreau. Maybe Boras too, since I don't blame him for what a retard Cook is on the field and he has done a good job with Kendricks along with the limited players. The rest are in question IMO.

I'm no longer sure that Boudreau deserves a pass either, Merlin.

For example, GRob's current play is problematic. Did the Rams misjudge his learning curve? Or his ceiling?

Or has Boudreau screwed the pooch in his training? A #2 overall should have been given the all hands on deck treatment at the first signs of struggle.

I'm currently in the "off with their heads" camp regarding O coaching. How much worse could our O be performing, really?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
1) Hand off to Gurley
2) Jet sweep to Tavon

Cigs runs WAYYYY too many PA passes. I think one of the commentors said something about it in our Baltimore game. Takes away the effectiveness.

DenverRam

Starter
think about gameplanning against the rams. You can literally have your CBs go one on one on each side, and have 1 safety come down for run, while the other can spy the qb.

No point in really doing anything else.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm no longer sure that Boudreau deserves a pass either, Merlin.

For example, GRob's current play is problematic. Did the Rams misjudge his learning curve? Or his ceiling?

Or has Boudreau screwed the pooch in his training? A #2 overall should have been given the all hands on deck treatment at the first signs of struggle.

I'm currently in the "off with their heads" camp regarding O coaching. How much worse could our O be performing, really?

Yeah, GRob has not developed as quickly as hoped. But there's some positives too though like the way this OL was playing with two rookies and a UDFA before the injuries started. Think back to before the season started, when mostly the same fans calling for Boudreau now were runnin around like Chicken Little about how there's no way this OL could play good ball with two rookies.

Blaming one guy--even a high draft pick on him--is not fair. It's about overall body of work and in that regard the dude is proven.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I hate to respond to the OP like this but...DUH! The O line is the most important part of the offense. None of the "skill" players will be able to perform without at least the minimum of blocking and this offense is evidence of that fact.