Gurley not a fan of international games: 'They need to stop this'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.thescore.com/news/1402243

Gurley not a fan of international games: 'They need to stop this'

Todd Gurley seems to be a man of routine.

The Los Angeles Rams running back wasn't too pleased when he was asked how this week's game against the Arizona Cardinals in London impacted his schedule.

"Terrible," Gurley said, according to Alden Gonzalez of ESPN. "They need to stop this, all this stuff. This London, this Mexico City stuff, it needs to stop."

Los Angeles stayed in Florida after defeating the Jacksonville Jaguars last Sunday, before heading to London on Thursday.

The Rams also played in London last year and are expected to head across the pond again in 2018 and 2019. Gurley wanted to make it clear that his issue is with the schedule disruption, not the fans.

"It's cool playing over there, don't get me wrong," Gurley said. "Just more of the long week, messes up a bunch of people's schedules. I'm pretty sure y'all (the media) wanna be in y'all bed right now, too. But naw, it's all good. It'll be love. The fans over there are great

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The London jaguars are gonna hate it in 5 years then lol

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
stop whinging a free holiday to the best city in the world and millions in the bank ... hard knock life huh

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I hate it as a fan just because it's way more expensive for me to go to a game in London than it is CONUS, and the Rams keep robbing themselves of one "home game". Granted we're doing better on the road than at home, so maybe it's a good thing (y)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/todd-gurley-international-games-need-stop-stuff-144010345.html
Todd Gurley on international games: 'They need to stop this, all this stuff'
Frank Schwab,Shutdown Corner 2 hours 10 minutes ago

The NFL wants to expand its popularity internationally, and if that effort means upsetting the league’s regular season, so be it.

Some players must wonder what they’re doing in London or Mexico City during the middle of what is a relatively short season for them, but most don’t say anything presumably because NFL players are discouraged from saying anything interesting. But Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley didn’t sound too happy to have his routine thrown off.

The Rams stayed in Jacksonville for most of the week after playing at the Jaguars, then will play the Arizona Cardinals in London on Sunday.

“Terrible,” Gurley said when asked about getting into his routine this week, according to ESPN. “They need to stop this, all this stuff. This London, this Mexico City stuff, it needs to stop.”

He’s right. The first problem with the international series, which is designed to grow the game globally, is that it makes the schedule imbalanced for some teams. The Rams, a playoff contender, are the “home” team on Sunday, about 5,000 miles from Los Angeles. That means the Rams get seven true home games when the Seattle Seahawks, their main contender in the NFC West, gets eight. That’s unfair and a significant difference. It could end up changing who wins a division title.

There’s also the travel aspect. Eight teams will play in London this season. That means 24 won’t. It’s obviously more difficult for the teams who have to make that trip, especially for a team like the Rams that will have to spend a full week away from home. It’s unclear what the exact effect of that travel is, but it’s fair to say there is some. After playing each other in London earlier this season, the Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens played the next week and lost.

Gurley made sure to say he wasn’t against fans in London. There are good NFL fans in London. But the NFL still shouldn’t mess with the fairness of its regular season any more than the English Premier League should send an unbalanced and significant portion of its games to the United States every season.

“It’s cool playing over there, don’t get me wrong,” Gurley told ESPN. “Just more of the long week, messes up a bunch of people’s schedules. I’m pretty sure y’all [the media] wanna be in y’all bed right now, too. But naw, it’s all good. It’ll be love. The fans over there are great.”

This Rams-Cardinals game doesn’t even happen early on Sunday. It’s just mixed in with the rest of the games that start at 1 p.m. Eastern. So there’s absolutely no benefit for American fans. There’s really not a lot to love about the trip for players either.

2fb57613f9e79f3ecb014a931d4f1741

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Sucks but the London games for the home ticket will stop once we get our shiny new stadium built. Would prefer to have international games during the preseason

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Sucks but the London games for the home ticket will stop once we get our shiny new stadium built. Would prefer to have international games during the preseason
What? An easy solution to this dilemma that uses basic common sense? No, we can't have that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I hate it as a fan just because it's way more expensive for me to go to a game in London than it is CONUS, and the Rams keep robbing themselves of one "home game". Granted we're doing better on the road than at home, so maybe it's a good thing (y)
At the same time. It's hard to build a "Home Town Fan Base" when you are required to Travel 5 out of your first 8 games!!

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I agree with him. It's crazy to call a game in London a home game. It just doesn't make sense

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
What? An easy solution to this dilemma that uses basic common sense? No, we can't have that.

Soccer has an international tour during the European league's offseason. Preseason games overseas can create awareness for gridiron football there; although I'm doubtful it'll get popular due to the NFL's reputation, especially with CTE research coming to light.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I see Direct TV is airing this game at 4:00.

Weren't the London games Nationally televised in the morning around 8:00?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see Direct TV is airing this game at 4:00.

Weren't the London games Nationally televised in the morning around 8:00?

This game is at 1pm eastern time.

The previous London games have been 9:30am eastern time.

I prefer the 1pm start time for the team...9:30am is 6:30am pacific time, which is ridiculous

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch come the opening of Stan land we won’t be back as the home team you can count on that

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No one is turning up to see NoOne Johnson and skip McGee play four qtrs for their favourite team

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree with TG. Europe is a logistic elephant in the room. Mexico and Canada make sense.

If the NFL staged a game between the Cowboys and Raiders(for example) in Mexico, they could literally sell a million tickets. The only problem would be finding a venue that could hold a million fans. Lol.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with TG. Europe is a logistic elephant in the room. Mexico and Canada make sense.

If the NFL staged a game between the Cowboys and Raiders(for example) in Mexico, they could literally sell a million tickets. The only problem would be finding a venue that could hold a million fans. Lol.
Teams have to fly in their own water....
I do savor the idea of Jerrys party bus getting stop by the Federalis though