Gurley: Metrics that Matter PFF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zero

Pro Bowler
(“Metrics that Matter” is a short feature that appears every weekday, highlighting a notable fantasy lesson to be learned from PFF’s advanced stats.)
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/6/2/15729694/la-rams-todd-gurley-2017-fantasy

As I said in Thursday’s installment, I spend the majority of my day uncovering unique stats to paint a picture about a specific player. I especially love doing this when that player is a highly-polarizing one. I suggested yesterday(link) that Colin Kaepernick might be the most polarizing player in football in terms of which side of the debate you fall (he’s a distraction and not worth a job, or he’s a starter-level talent being blacklisted.) This was possibly true, but if not for Kaepernick, the crown might actually belong to Todd Gurley.

Gurley has become one of the most-debated players this offseason. Either he’s a generational talent in a bad situation due for a monster bounceback year, or he’s the next Trent Richardson. There seems to be no in between. Except that, when asked for my opinion on his fantasy value, to everyone’s disappointment, I am somewhere in between. But today, I did do that thing I do, where I uncovered some unique statistics that help explain what went wrong and why he might still be a fantasy value.

Join PFF Elite for access to PFF Signature Stats across all positions.

In 2015, among all running backs with at least 150 carries, Todd Gurley had the highest percentage of runs to go for 25 or more yards (8 of 229.) In 2016, he ranked dead-last by this same metric with zero runs of 25 or more yards on 278 attempts.

In 2015, 32.9 percent of his Gurley’s rushing yardage came from runs of 25 or more yards — the highest rate in the league. Gurley ranked eighth-best in yards per carry (4.83) that season, but if we take away all of his carries of 25 or more yards, he would have ranked last in the NFL (3.36.)

This is surely a main culprit for Gurley’s disappointing 2016 season, but I’m not sure why this is the case. Let’s dig a little deeper into his numbers.

Since Week 9 of 2015, Gurley leads the NFL in carries, but ranks last of all 31 running backs with at least 200 carries over this span in yards per carry (3.43.) During this timeframe, there were 135 instances of a running back totaling 100 rushing yards or more in a game, with Gurley accounted for just one. For perspective, Jordan Howard (13 starts) and Ezekiel Elliott (15 games played) accounted for seven each. This is really not good.

But wait, it gets worse!

In the entire history of the NFL, there are 320 instances of a running back accumulating at least 275 carries in a single season. Among these 320 seasons, Gurley’s 2016 season ranks fifth-worst in yards per carry.

So, that’s the bad news. The good news, if we can call it that, is that four of the 12 worst seasons came from a running back coached by Jeff Fisher. This is likely not a coincidence. I’ve said some very unflattering things about Fisher in articles before, but my editor, keep-me-from-offending-people mage that he is, always takes them out. Just know that I am very much not a fan, and do think his departure means good things for Gurley.

What does this mean for fantasy?
I broke down running backs by a number of unique metrics earlier in the offseason. Gurley was not at a serious disadvantage when it came to strength of schedule or stacked boxes. He was, however, hurt by a poor offensive line. Last season, Los Angeles ranked fifth-worst in yards before contact per attempt, suggesting his offensive line didn’t give him very much room to run. I’m optimistic that this improves with the arrival of Andrew Whitworth – who ranked among our six-highest-graded offensive tackles in run blocking in two of the last three seasons. Director of PFF Fantasy Jeff Ratcliffe shares my optimism and broke down the significance of the signing here.

While I’m excited about Fisher’s exit and the improvement of the offensive line, I’m still concerned by Gurley’s lack of efficiency, tough 2017 schedule, and likely reduction in target volume. I’m not sure he’ll break off as many long runs as he did in 2015, but I am optimistic for an improvement on his 2016 season. Gurley leads the league in rushing attempts since his first NFL start, and should again see a high rushing workload, but is a much less-attractive option in PPR leagues (in part because the Rams brought in pass-catching back Lance Dunbar this offseason). I’m fine taking him in the late second of standard leagues, but will likely wait a full round in PPR leagues.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
please be good again

tumblr_m37go7mT0Z1r9rjs4.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It doesn't take much anaylyzing to conclude why Gurley didn't fare as well last season. Bad OL. Bad OC.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It doesn't take much anaylyzing to conclude why Gurley didn't fare as well last season. Bad OL. Bad OC.
Also all of this^ may be important, if your playing " Fantasy Football" But I don't play that anymore. I'm only concerned with how his Play effects the outcome of the game for the Rams! Did we Win or Lose!

Ram65

Legend
(“Metrics that Matter” is a short feature that appears every weekday, highlighting a notable fantasy lesson to be learned from PFF’s advanced stats.)
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/6/2/15729694/la-rams-todd-gurley-2017-fantasy

As I said in Thursday’s installment, I spend the majority of my day uncovering unique stats to paint a picture about a specific player. I especially love doing this when that player is a highly-polarizing one. I suggested yesterday(link) that Colin Kaepernick might be the most polarizing player in football in terms of which side of the debate you fall (he’s a distraction and not worth a job, or he’s a starter-level talent being blacklisted.) This was possibly true, but if not for Kaepernick, the crown might actually belong to Todd Gurley.

Gurley has become one of the most-debated players this offseason. Either he’s a generational talent in a bad situation due for a monster bounceback year, or he’s the next Trent Richardson. There seems to be no in between. Except that, when asked for my opinion on his fantasy value, to everyone’s disappointment, I am somewhere in between. But today, I did do that thing I do, where I uncovered some unique statistics that help explain what went wrong and why he might still be a fantasy value.

Join PFF Elite for access to PFF Signature Stats across all positions.

In 2015, among all running backs with at least 150 carries, Todd Gurley had the highest percentage of runs to go for 25 or more yards (8 of 229.) In 2016, he ranked dead-last by this same metric with zero runs of 25 or more yards on 278 attempts.

In 2015, 32.9 percent of his Gurley’s rushing yardage came from runs of 25 or more yards — the highest rate in the league. Gurley ranked eighth-best in yards per carry (4.83) that season, but if we take away all of his carries of 25 or more yards, he would have ranked last in the NFL (3.36.)

This is surely a main culprit for Gurley’s disappointing 2016 season, but I’m not sure why this is the case. Let’s dig a little deeper into his numbers.

Since Week 9 of 2015, Gurley leads the NFL in carries, but ranks last of all 31 running backs with at least 200 carries over this span in yards per carry (3.43.) During this timeframe, there were 135 instances of a running back totaling 100 rushing yards or more in a game, with Gurley accounted for just one. For perspective, Jordan Howard (13 starts) and Ezekiel Elliott (15 games played) accounted for seven each. This is really not good.

But wait, it gets worse!

In the entire history of the NFL, there are 320 instances of a running back accumulating at least 275 carries in a single season. Among these 320 seasons, Gurley’s 2016 season ranks fifth-worst in yards per carry.

So, that’s the bad news. The good news, if we can call it that, is that four of the 12 worst seasons came from a running back coached by Jeff Fisher. This is likely not a coincidence. I’ve said some very unflattering things about Fisher in articles before, but my editor, keep-me-from-offending-people mage that he is, always takes them out. Just know that I am very much not a fan, and do think his departure means good things for Gurley.

What does this mean for fantasy?
I broke down running backs by a number of unique metrics earlier in the offseason. Gurley was not at a serious disadvantage when it came to strength of schedule or stacked boxes. He was, however, hurt by a poor offensive line. Last season, Los Angeles ranked fifth-worst in yards before contact per attempt, suggesting his offensive line didn’t give him very much room to run. I’m optimistic that this improves with the arrival of Andrew Whitworth – who ranked among our six-highest-graded offensive tackles in run blocking in two of the last three seasons. Director of PFF Fantasy Jeff Ratcliffe shares my optimism and broke down the significance of the signing here.

While I’m excited about Fisher’s exit and the improvement of the offensive line, I’m still concerned by Gurley’s lack of efficiency, tough 2017 schedule, and likely reduction in target volume. I’m not sure he’ll break off as many long runs as he did in 2015, but I am optimistic for an improvement on his 2016 season. Gurley leads the league in rushing attempts since his first NFL start, and should again see a high rushing workload, but is a much less-attractive option in PPR leagues (in part because the Rams brought in pass-catching back Lance Dunbar this offseason). I’m fine taking him in the late second of standard leagues, but will likely wait a full round in PPR leagues.

Great article thanks Zero.

It was hard not to notice in 2015 that Gurely had a lot of big runs and many were late in the game. That was Fisherball. The Eddie George poor YPA shows a trend with Jeff Fisher. The offensive line flashed in 2015 but was bad last year. I think last year Gurely ran hard to get what he could but, didn't look to go outside in the second half of the season. Hard to tell if he could have made but I thought he had some chances he didn't take. I think he got worn down physically and mentally from a really bad offense.

This year Gurely at least looks renewed physically. I expect a nice rebound year. I think Gurley has good vision as well as power to get pass the line of scrimmage but, needs some blocking up front. Could be better with the new fullback and better mix offense. Here some hightlights that show you what may have forgotten Gurley can do. He could be faster/ more explosive this year with better conditioning and healing from the knee injury.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwVWHftWlJU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4YufUauN88

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I said it very early in the year, besides the OL, Gurley left a lot of yards on the field. Just watched Hard Knocks, rebooted on HBO....and he doesn't have his head up. He just put his head down and tried to plow. Polar opposite of last year. Keep your eyes up, and hit the angles, find the holes...there are times to put your head down and drive, those times are not on first or second downs.

OL sucked, but that wasn't the Gurley that I saw in college, or as a rookie in the Pros.

TexasRam

Legend
I guess we can keep posting about this until the cows come home... or the 2017 season starts.

But when you combine a bottom of the NFL run blocking Oline with a coach committed to the run and mix in a QB (Keenum) that can't throw downfield and then mix in a rookie QB with no supporting cast at WR. Then your Running back will face stacked boxes.

If you knew I was running every play and I didn't have good blockers my running back is going no where.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Inconclusive statistical information from where I sit.
OK, poor OL and coaching was addressed, but poor receivers and poor QB play during 2015/2016 also meant the box was stacked against Gurley every down except perhaps 3'rd & long. How many extended runs were brought back due to penalties ?
It's not that just one offensive unit was bad, but the sum of the whole was bad, ... very bad. How many teams had two back-up QB's in Foles & Keenum starting 25 games along with a rookie QB following that up with another 7. In those two years our offense managed 6244 receiving yards while the opposition was running up 7797. During 2015 Gurley averaged 4.8 yards per attempt, Cunningham 3.8, Tre Mason 2.8. Lets not even bring up Pead. Considering the OL alone, it's amazing what Gurley accomplished in 2015 with GRob at LT, Wells at C and a handful of rookies plugging in wherever necessary. The anomaly for me in 2016 was Cunningham & Gurley flipping numbers, with B.C. now averaging 4.8 yards per attempt, although before we get too excited by his numbers, he only had 21 rushing attempts to Gurley's 278. Between the coaching, the injuries and the talent, our entire offense (other than Gurley) was 3'rd rate at best. GRob, if anything, looked worse, we went from one terrible Center to another going from Wells to Barnes, and our interior rookie OG's from 2015 didn't seem to gain any improvement, experience or knowledge, ... only Saffold & Havenstein appeared to have a clue, and they were injured for most of the season. On top of this mess we had QB's who couldn't find receivers & receivers who couldn't get open, catch or hang on to the ball. We weren't even a one dimensional team, sadly offensively ... we were a zero dimensional team. Fisher was Captain of the Keystone Kops, and Laurel & Hardy were his OC & OL coaches, ... herding cats would have been more entertaining.
I'm not going to predict that Gurley will necessarily be back averaging his 2015 numbers in 2017, we are still working with an extremely young receiving unit & QB, but with what should be a vastly improved OL, he's capable of approaching those numbers imo, and by mid-season or after the BYE, once the receivers & Goff have found a degree of chemistry, look for the offense to make big strides forward both rushing and receiving. Just a little bit of success playing long-ball early in the season and defenses will be forced to pull back off the line somewhat, then lets see which Gurley answers the bell. jmo.

tempests

Hall of Fame
So, that’s the bad news. The good news, if we can call it that, is that four of the 12 worst seasons came from a running back coached by Jeff Fisher. This is likely not a coincidence...... Just know that I am very much not a fan, and do think his departure means good things for Gurley.

Not much of anything Fisher tried on offense worked with the Rams, but I've never doubted his ability to get the most out of his RBs. He had a long history of doing that with the Oilers/Titans.

Eddie George averaged 1375 rushing yards each of his first five seasons. He's on that list not because of Jeff Fisher, because of the foot and ankle injuries that robbed him of his lower body explosion and his last few years running on eggshells.

WR production suffered under Fisher. His RBs were usually good for 1000 yards every year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All you need to know is asked by this question, "how many times was Gurley tackled by multiple defenders behind the line of scrimmage?"

Careful. If you watch even a quarter of a game with this question in mind, bring some Pepto because it's nauseating...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It was tough to ignore Gurley's all or nothing 2015 performance. The number of short yardage plays were concerning.

I hope he doesn't turn out to be only good enough to dominate college.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would be concerned about #30 if the offense and other players around him were having success. The whole thing was a trainwreck.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/...2016-offensive-lines-impacted-fantasy-qbs-rbs

Yards before contact is the most telling statistic for what happened to Gurley last year. Hard to be productive when you're getting hit behind the line all the time.

Exactly. And that 1.3 yards-per-carry is the average. I'd love to see the mean. I think it'd be much closer to zero, although likely still positive since he had no untouched long runs to skew the average, so both should be around the same although I would guess the mean is a tad lower.

Which is staggering.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I guess we can keep posting about this until the cows come home... or the 2017 season starts.

But when you combine a bottom of the NFL run blocking Oline with a coach committed to the run and mix in a QB (Keenum) that can't throw downfield and then mix in a rookie QB with no supporting cast at WR. Then your Running back will face stacked boxes.

If you knew I was running every play and I didn't have good blockers my running back is going no where.

I think even more after reading the article Gurley was part to blame. His yards minus his 25 yards or more carries shows a inconsistency .

That said I think Todd Gurley is real focused on the season, & he should be better than he ever has. He looks in real good condition. He was ask about his weight & it doesn't seem of concern. He wants to play at a weight he feels comfortable with.

Coaching is going to be good. Pete is still his RB coach. Play calling and understanding the play will show Case his ability.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I always love when they say things like "take away his longest runs and he would rank here" while not taking away the longest runs of the other RBs they are putting him behind.

We all know Gurley had a bad year last year. I suspect most have a good idea of why that was. I guess we'll see. I think Gurley will show to be at least a very good RB this season. And it's still possible for him to be a great one.

Hope he watches some SJ highlights to geek him up.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I would be concerned about #30 if the offense and other players around him were having success. The whole thing was a trainwreck.

Yup that's true it's not like he was the weak link. And it's hard to run when there are 8 and sometimes 9 in the box.

We all know Gurley had a bad year last year. I suspect most have a good idea of why that was. I guess we'll see. I think Gurley will show to be at least a very good RB this season. And it's still possible for him to be a great one.

I agree he's going to turn it around this year. He's a threat for a huge run every single time he touches the ball. He just have to have the opportunities to get past the LOS and have a little spave. He's nimble, strong as feck and quick. He'll be fine with some blocking.

And I want to see him catch more passes. I'd like to see him in the 65-75 range but I don't know enough about McVay's style to know if he will get those chances.