Gurley is so slow...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
upload_2017-9-26_0-9-10.png

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I just spent 3 1/2 minutes trying to analyze the relevance of that chart. I will never again have that 3 1/2 minutes. :(

What a bunch of crap.

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
HAHA. Sorry formatting came out all crappy.

Basically if you go to Nexgenstats and look at it you will realize Gurley is clocked faster than Kareem Hunt and almost everyone else.

His speed is deceptive and I had a sneaky suspicion it was because on one of his TD runs he beats a CB to the outside on a foot race.

BeefJurky

Rookie
HAHA. Sorry formatting came out all crappy.

Basically if you go to Nexgenstats and look at it you will realize Gurley is clocked faster than Kareem Hunt and almost everyone else.

His speed is deceptive and I had a sneaky suspicion it was because on one of his TD runs he beats a CB to the outside on a foot race.
Damn thats right. He turned on the boosts and got the corner on everyone, that was awesome

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Idk man. He's bulked up for sure, which is a good thing. I still think he's slower and less smooth and shifty in his change of direction while maintaining speed.

It's not that big a deal for me to argue because he's having a great season so far. My eyes tell me he's not quite as explosive as he was.

fearsomefour

Legend
Idk man. He's bulked up for sure, which is a good thing. I still think he's slower and less smooth and shifty in his change of direction while maintaining speed.

It's not that big a deal for me to argue because he's having a great season so far. My eyes tell me he's not quite as explosive as he was.

Straight line speed and shiftiness are two different things. Straight line speed doesn't mean all that much on most plays because there aren't many plays that allow for it.
Heck, Faulk got caught from behind a bunch. But he was very quick, could change direction without slowing down and had amazing running instincts.
Gurley is headed right. Feed him the ball. He was the best player on the field vs SF clearly. Finding ways to get him the ball in space like McVay is really allows him to use that speed.
No reason he can't be a threat to be a 2,000 total yard guy.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He plays at 20mph?! Thats pretty fast for a running back who frightens DB's into not wanting to tackle him. Its like watching a young Steven Jackson all over again.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of reminds me of the "new" baseball stat. Exit velocity. Or "velo". Interesting but doesn't mean anything. Lol. Top speed is great but it's the quick burst speed that RB's need to be great imo. That is what appeared to be missing last year

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

I think he's bulkier too. I think it's going to allow him to play all 3 downs, all season long without too much wear

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

I tend to agree Mojo. He isn't really pulling away like he did but still looks pretty good though. Hard to argue the numbers.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Kind of reminds me of the "new" baseball stat. Exit velocity. Or "velo". Interesting but doesn't mean anything. Lol. Top speed is great but it's the quick burst speed that RB's need to be great imo. That is what appeared to be missing last year

It wasn't missing last year, you just rarely got the chance to see it. I think that much is obvious at this point.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It wasn't missing last year, you just rarely got the chance to see it. I think that much is obvious at this point.
Due to that effective offense strategy and cohesive o-line play, his "runs" resembled this:
ParchedVigilantAfricangroundhornbill-max-1mb.gif

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only ones that are rated faster are on passing plays that’s a little different then getting a hand off and getting up to full speed

Ram65

Legend
Looks like Gurley had more open holes to go through in 2015. I dont know how to prove it either way. Hopefully, he is close to what he was. He looks good catching the ball and exploding.