Gurley, Havenstein & Brown Could Start for the Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Todd Gurley, Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown could start for St. Louis Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ein-jamon-brown-could-start-for-st-louis-rams

NFL Nation reporter Nick Wagoner assesses which rookies on the Rams could earn a starting berth this season.

Why RB Todd Gurley could start: The Rams spent the 10th overall pick in the draft on Gurley because they view him as a game-changer in the mold of Seattle's Marshawn Lynch and Minnesota's Adrian Peterson. Coach Jeff Fisher even acknowledged that Gurley could be to his Rams what Eddie George once was to his Tennessee Titans. The question isn't whether Gurley will start but when. The Rams have been slow to plug rookie runners into the starting lineup the past two seasons, with Zac Stacy and Tre Mason not getting the nod until the fifth game. And neither Stacy nor Mason was coming off a torn left anterior cruciate ligament, as Gurley is. Once Gurley is back to full speed, the Rams believe he can improve a run game that was ranked 19th in yards per game and 17th in yards per carry over the past three seasons under Fisher.

Why OT Rob Havenstein could start: The Rams said goodbye to both of their 2014 Week 1 starting tackles in the offseason. They released Jake Long in a cost-cutting move and allowed Joe Barksdale to leave for the San Diego Chargers in free agency. While Greg Robinson was already set to take Long's spot, the Rams maintained some level of interest in Barksdale. Until Havenstein arrived. As part of their offensive line makeover, the Rams spent a second-round pick on the big tackle out of Wisconsin. At 6-foot-8 and 321 pounds, Havenstein comes from a power-run-heavy offense similar to what the Rams want to be. Havenstein started 42 games for the Badgers, including 41 straight at right tackle. In 2014, he was an anchor for an offense that rushed for 320.1 yards per game and helped running back Melvin Gordon land a spot in the first round of the draft. The Rams believe that combination of power and experience makes Havenstein a Day 1 starter who could eventually develop into a Jon Runyan type of mauler on the right side of their line. At this point, it would take a major upset or injury for anyone but Havenstein to start the season at right tackle.

Why OG Jamon Brown could start: Much like with Havenstein, the Rams appear content to go with a rookie at a spot where there simply doesn't appear to be much in the way of competition. The Rams did not re-sign veteran guard Davin Joseph in free agency and also opted not to spend any money on another veteran option such as former Atlanta Falcons offensive guard Justin Blalock. It's still possible the Rams could change their mind after getting a closer look at their rookies in organized team activities. For now, Brown looks to be on track to secure a starting guard job. He worked at right guard throughout OTAs after a college career spent at tackle. Brown, who is listed at 6-foot-6 and 323 pounds, also comes with extensive starting experience. He started 40 games at Louisville between both tackle spots but projects more on the interior because of his power. The Rams have a veteran option in Garrett Reynolds, but they seem to prefer him as a key backup at both guard and tackle spots. If Brown develops over the next few months as the Rams hope, he'll have every opportunity to start against the Seattle Seahawks on opening day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have said it before and I say it again. Jamon Brown, Robbie Havenstien and whoever at Center cannot be any worse than Wells, Barksdale and Joseph.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have said it before and I say it again. Jamon Brown, Robbie Havenstien and whoever at Center cannot be any worse than Wells, Barksdale and Joseph.

Not true. For instance, if I were the center, the nose tackle would be creaming the QB on every play while I would be curled up in a ball in enormous pain.

ram007

Starter

Any data to support it? It could go either ways. I am hoping it goes the right way.

For instance, being center is not a easy function of an NFL offense. It has as much to due with intelligence as physical ability and the experience required to enhance and adjust to defenses, making right calls and snapping on the T every time while trying to keep an eye on the defender ('your assignment') in front of you.

A couple of missed assignments (resulting from mostly mental mistakes) from this inexperienced line means Foles could be on IR by week 2. I am not even bringing the subject of whether these new guys on OL have NFL physical strength in their first year.

Fingers crossed. :unsure:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I still wonder if Andrew Donnal doesn't have a shot at unseating Brown for a starting guard spot.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Any data to support it? It could go either ways. I am hoping it goes the right way.

For instance, being center is not a easy function of an NFL offense. It has as much to due with intelligence as physical ability and the experience required to enhance and adjust to defenses, making right calls and snapping on the T every time while trying to keep an eye on the defender ('your assignment') in front of you.

A couple of missed assignments (resulting from mostly mental mistakes) from this inexperienced line means Foles could be on IR by week 2. I am not even bringing the subject of whether these new guys on OL have NFL physical strength in their first year.

Fingers crossed. :unsure:

No, you misunderstand me. The 'whoever at center' was referring to Rhaney, Barnes, Jones.

Moostache

Rookie
From your keyboard to god's ears...

There is at least the very recent example of the Bears starting two rookies side-by-side in Mills and Long and had decent success until Cutler went down back in 2013. They were 6-4 coming into St. Louis that year and got beat down by the 4-6 Rams!

I think if you told me right now that Brown and Havenstien would start on the right side and we'd be 6-4 after 10- weeks, I'd take it in a heartbeat!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"I think if you told me right now that Brown and Havenstien would start on the right side and we'd be 6-4 after 10- weeks, I'd take it in a heartbeat!"

Me too!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
From your keyboard to god's ears...

There is at least the very recent example of the Bears starting two rookies side-by-side in Mills and Long and had decent success until Cutler went down back in 2013. They were 6-4 coming into St. Louis that year and got beat down by the 4-6 Rams!

I think if you told me right now that Brown and Havenstien would start on the right side and we'd be 6-4 after 10- weeks, I'd take it in a heartbeat!

We should make a poll. Havenstein/Brown or Barksdale/Joseph

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still wonder if Andrew Donnal doesn't have a shot at unseating Brown for a starting guard spot.
Maybe....
kcCYCiW.jpg

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I hope the Rams are patient with Gurley. I believe they let Bradford play too soon last season and we all know what happened.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I have said it before and I say it again. Jamon Broaren't n, Robbie Havenstien and whoever at Center cannot be any worse than Wells, Barksdale and Joseph.
We spent big time draft equity on Havenstein and Brown that we didnt on joseph and barksdale. If they aren'ta significant improvement we need to review our scouting departmment a

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am just fine with that rookie starting duo myself. They fit nicely on that right side. Very large big healthy OL'ers that started many games in college. They are our future & might as well start now. I do not see any other duo that would be better. Let them learn together & work things out.

As the article indicated Boudreau seems to prefer that the versatile veteran Garrett Reynolds to back both of them up if there were a hiccup. All I can say now is wow that's a lot of young prime beef on the strong side OL.

Reynolds has been showing off his versatility by working with the first team OL @ left OG. There had been some questions here a few months back if Reynolds had worked the left side in his 7 yrs. I would think he may be a better OLG than ORG.

The fact that the 6-2 320 pound Brandon Washington fill in for Robinson @ OLT a surprise but I have always said he played left side much better than right side. It also say too that the back up to Robinson in 2015 remains a very big question mark?

I sure would not look for that to occur. With so many Ram interior OL'ers (nine) presently on this roster i.e. Saffold, Reynolds, Brown, Washington, Wickmann, Wang, Barnes, Jones & Rhaney the issue would seem to me to be on the exterior. Donnal entered college as a swing OT & did get some OG action & starts but being over 6-6 a a little over 310 pounds he could fill the bigger need as a swing OT on this roster. The book as I have read from many posters here is he is smart & technically very sound but weak in the power & strength area.