Guess their first pick...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you think they take with their first pick?

• Total voters

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Snead & Fisher have compiled & invested enormous serious chunks of cap monies in an OL that has some major concerns on the injury side?....... any NFL team that is depending on THREE injury prone players like Jake Long, Rodger Saffold and Scott Wells to do most of the heavy lifting in this upcoming season plus a gaping HOLE @ OLG & a ORT Barksdale who has only 13 NFL starts under his belt in addition an in mobile fragile often injured pocket passing QB........ oh did I forget to say Fisher has only one OL reserve who has any starts in the NFL?

Just might want to concentrate heavy & draft many of an OL'er but better to select an instant starter who could be plugged in anywhere along that OL......Jake Matthews is the Rx for this seriously often weak injured Ram OL. Going into this season with the above OL will let the Rams be consistent in one area over the last decade where they can draft in the upper half in 2015 draft.

Its really hard to purchase healthy needed solid good food when there is so much sexy pretty fancy wrapped candy in right in front of you.
Some good stuff in there bonifay but I think your assessment of our QB is a little over the top.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
First of all I would be shocked if they didn't trade that #2 pick because that seems to be Snead's style of doing business. In a deep draft he wants as many picks as possible. Personally I believe they should stop stockpiling picks and get the BPA. If they don't trade down then I would expect Matthews to be their pick and then someone more risky at #13.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Some good stuff in there bonifay but I think your assessment of our QB is a little over the top.
Agreed. A high ankle sprain in a season he got sacked 36 times in only 10 games...well yeah thats bound to happen.
A freak ACL injury getting chased out of the pocket. Shit happens.
Shoulder injury what? 5 years ago? 120 sacks later and the shoulder hasn't been an issue.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
What part of that remark was over the top?
I wasn't trying to be a dick, but I don't think "in addition an in mobile fragile often injured pocket passing QB" is a fair or accurate of Sam. No, he's not a running QB, but he is hardly immobile either. Also "oft injured" seems a bit dramatic, IMO. As we all know he suffered a high ankle sprain in 2011 due to OL failures and the injury last year, again IMO, was more freaky than anything else.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So its the its the "fragile often injured " remark that was over the top?

2009 Injured his shoulder twice the second time resulted in season ending surgery
2011 Was able to finish only 9 games
2013 Was able to finish 6 games season ended with season ending surgery.

Sam has had only two injury free seasons in his last five seasons. So am I wrong on the often injured or the fragile part?

No BigRamFan.....I know you.... you were not trying to be a dick but if I am being unfair here just wanted to know...

You guys know I really like Sam a lot & I rarely put anything down negative on Sam. I believe he can take us to the big dance but only if he can remain unmolested & well protected. I do not think that Sam can continue to take the punishment he has taken since becoming a Ram and remain UN injured. So the OL must be addressed heavy & hard in 2014 draft

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Sam moves better outside of the pocket than he does within the pocket IMO. Its strange. Maybe it's just awareness.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Sam does good rolling out and connecting! Not immobile, just a pocket passer, for the most part! Need more designed plays with Sam rolling out, I'd say! And, a mo better Oline!

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
So its the its the "fragile often injured " remark that was over the top?

2009 Injured his shoulder twice the second time resulted in season ending surgery
2011 Was able to finish only 9 games
2013 Was able to finish 6 games season ended with season ending surgery.

Sam has had only two injury free seasons in his last five seasons. So am I wrong on the often injured or the fragile part?

No BigRamFan.....I know you.... you were not trying to be a dick but if I am being unfair here just wanted to know...
I guess it was fragile that caught my eye more than anything. His ankle was rolled up on, nothing anyone can do to avoid that. The ACL just looked like a freak injury to me and the hit in college that damaged his shoulder was vicious and from behind, the "second" shoulder injury was merely the result of him trying to come back too soon to help a team that sorely missed him. (I only count that as one injury, btw, but that's JMO.)

I've seen Sam stand in the pocket numerous times and take hits to deliver a pass and get right back up as if nothing had happened. IMO, he's tough as nails in that regard and injuries are just something that happen in football. If I had to put a word on it I would lean toward unlucky rather than fragile. No big deal though, we're all brothers in here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sam does good rolling out and connecting! Not immobile, just a pocket passer, for the most part! Need more designed plays with Sam rolling out, I'd say! And, a mo better Oline!

Looks like my remarks have derailed the main subject here in this post sorry about that but yes Sam is excellent when rolling out & hitting his target but your right very small amount of plays are designed to take advantage of this...but that I sure hope that ACL does not hamper him in his past ability in this area. Sam does not elude incoming pass rushers very well but I will agree he takes all those hits well.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Snead & Fisher have compiled & invested enormous serious chunks of cap monies in an OL that has some major concerns on the injury side?....... any NFL team that is depending on THREE injury prone players like Jake Long, Rodger Saffold and Scott Wells to do most of the heavy lifting in this upcoming season plus a gaping HOLE @ OLG & a ORT Barksdale who has only 13 NFL starts under his belt in addition an in mobile fragile often injured pocket passing QB........ oh did I forget to say Fisher has only one OL reserve who has any starts in the NFL?

Just might want to concentrate heavy & draft many of an OL'er but better to select an instant starter who could be plugged in anywhere along that OL......Jake Matthews is the Rx for this seriously often weak injured Ram OL. Going into this season with the above OL will let the Rams be consistent in one area over the last decade where they can draft in the upper half in 2015 draft.

Its really hard to purchase healthy needed solid good food when there is so much sexy pretty fancy wrapped candy in right in front of you.

I hear ya and it's a well thought out approach.

However, the weakness of that approach is possibly passing on a HOF talent. I mean, is Jake Matthews a freak of nature? No. Is he a HOF talent? Not really what I've heard. What we hear is that he's a technician, durable, gets the job done, plug and play right now, and will be solid for many years. Not saying he's not a good pick, but maybe he's not a long term great pick when compared to Robinson or Watkins.

iced

If we pick Matthews at #2 I'll smash my head on a wall repeatedly.

Same thing for me, except Robinson and not Matthews. Robinson is the only player I don't want - i'd shut up and be content with clowney/matthews/evans, would love Watkins

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I hear ya and it's a well thought out approach.

However, the weakness of that approach is possibly passing on a HOF talent. I mean, is Jake Matthews a freak of nature? No. Is he a HOF talent? Not really what I've heard. What we hear is that he's a technician, durable, gets the job done, plug and play right now, and will be solid for many years. Not saying he's not a good pick, but maybe he's not a long term great pick when compared to Robinson or Watkins.

Hey max, I guess I look at it different here ....I think that I am tuned in heavy in the direction more towards Sam Bradford....whom IMO could be a HOF talent Ram QB IF he was equipped with a strong effective healthy OL. So my own thoughts in the draft is in creating a complete fully operating winning NFL team. Do I think that Jake Matthews is the next Orlando Pace no way but he IMO is a great fit here that would help protect my main focus issue......SAM BRADFORD! I want Sam to be what Sam can be with a very good OL in front of him....Jake Matthews is my pick with the first pick but DE Jadeveon Clowney has been my my pick now for a long time now 2 weeks away I find myself more focused on that protection for Sam.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey max, I guess I look at it different here ....I think that I am tuned in heavy in the direction more towards Sam Bradford....whom IMO could be a HOF talent Ram QB IF he was equipped with a strong effective healthy OL. So my own thoughts in the draft is in creating a complete fully operating winning NFL team. Do I think that Jake Matthews is the next Orlando Pace no way but he IMO is a great fit here that would help protect my main focus issue......SAM BRADFORD! I want Sam to be what Sam can be with a very good OL in front of him....Jake Matthews is my pick with the first pick but DE Jadeveon Clowney has been my my pick now for a long time now 2 weeks away I find myself more focused on that protection for Sam.

Boy, that just sounds a bit dangerous to me. That's like saying if Lawrence Taylor was in this draft you would take Matthews over him because you're main focus is Bradford.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Boy, that just sounds a bit dangerous to me. That's like saying if Lawrence Taylor was in this draft you would take Matthews over him because you're main focus is Bradford.

Taylor was an OSLB I wonder how many times the football is in his hands during 60 minutes compared to Sam Bradford.....think there's a bit of a difference there?

fearsomefour

Legend
I am going with Matthews. Anything but Matthews or Clowney and I will be disappointed if the Rams stay at 2.