Guess how much Roger Goodell has made during his 9-year tenure

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The man has been an absolute disaster for the game we love, imo, but otoh has made tons of money for his bosses - the 32 owners. So to reward him they have paid him $180.5 million. :puke:
***********************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-goodell-made-34-1-million-last-year/#content

Report: Roger Goodell made $34.1 million last year
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 16, 2016

Clearly, Roger Goodell isn’t a part of his league’s performance-based pay setup.

According to multiple reports, the league’s most recent tax filing shows that the commissioner made $34.1 million last year, pushing his nine-year compensation to $180.5 million.

Those numbers will serve as a dog-whistle for all the folks who think Goodell has had a disastrous recent run in charge of the league.

Though he’s still raking in record revenues, he’s been plagued by hits in the court of public opinion and a continuous string of defeats in actual courts.

Of course, his bosses can’t be too upset with him, as they’ve made him the world’s highest-paid pinata because he’s helping them make even more money. And this is also the last peek we’ll get behind this curtain, as they’ve given up their tax-exempt status and don’t have to disclose the figures any more.
-----------
The resemblance to Vince McMahon is uncanny.
-----------
Why so fixated on his salary?

The NFL generates billions of dollars of revenue. Even if you disagree with Goodell’s decisions in some areas – he is leading an organization that has provided great returns for his bosses – the Team Owners.

At the end of the day, as long as the owners are happy – it is irrelevant what anyone else’s opinion is of his performance.
-----------
34 million for that joker, that’s insane.
----------
And before you complain about Roger’s salary… remember that Kim Kardashian brought in $52mil. America!

jap

Legend
I guess there is a reason they call it the land of opportunity.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand the hate that Goodell gets and the dislike for a lot of the changes in the league under his direction. But if you want to see why he's been paid that much money look at how much league revenues have gone up under him. It's quite simple to understand when you look at that one little thing why he's paid as much as he is. Love him or hate him he's made the owners a ton of money and they've rewarded him for it. Simple as that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand the hate that Goodell gets and the dislike for a lot of the changes in the league under his direction. But if you want to see why he's been paid that much money look at how much league revenues have gone up under him. It's quite simple to understand when you look at that one little thing why he's paid as much as he is. Love him or hate him he's made the owners a ton of money and they've rewarded him for it. Simple as that.

Is it possible that the league would have made the same or even more money under someone else's direction? Of course there's no way of knowing that. Just saying.

I don't believe this man is the reason the NFL has prospered. Quite the contrary. He has blundered far too many times to still be employed much less making the obscene amount of money he's made. He's merely riding the wave of popularity. It's the players, coaches, and fans that are responsible.

My main problems I have with the man are that:

#1 - he's turning the the NFL into a powderpuff league that if it continues will eventually resemble the Pro Bowl. This is due to the concussion lawsuits and that offense seems to be more important to him than defense. The quarterbacks and wide receivers are allowed an inordinate amount of protection. But then I'm one who loves watching a dominating defense.

#2 - his decisions when it comes to fining players, coaches, and front office employees are not fair and balanced. He's all over the place and one can never be sure how he will handle each case.

#3 - the continual incompetence of the referees is both shocking.

#4 - the bloviating b.s. leading up to the Rams moving to LA.

If I were his boss and gave him a review, I'd tell him he's lucky he still has a job and to straighten up.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
$180 mil over 9 years? That's a much lower number than I thought.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The man has been an absolute disaster for the game we love, imo, but otoh has made tons of money for his bosses - the 32 owners. So to reward him they have paid him $180.5 million. :puke:
That ASS got paid like this for ruining the game I have loved for 65 years!!!?!!! Their is not Justice in this world!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good work if you can get it, I guess.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If he did a reasonable job investing that, he could buy the Raiders when he retires.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
According to multiple reports, the league’s most recent tax filing shows that the commissioner made $34.1 million last year, pushing his nine-year compensation to $180.5 million.

That's a pay cut from last year when he made 44MIL.

But who's gonna quibble over 10MIL............right?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
***********************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-goodell-made-34-1-million-last-year/#content

Report: Roger Goodell made $34.1 million last year
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 16, 2016

Clearly, Roger Goodell isn’t a part of his league’s performance-based pay setup.

Those numbers will serve as a dog-whistle for all the folks who think Goodell has had a disastrous recent run in charge of the league.

Though he’s still raking in record revenues, he’s been plagued by hits in the court of public opinion and a continuous string of defeats in actual courts.

Of course, his bosses can’t be too upset with him, as they’ve made him the world’s highest-paid pinata because he’s helping them make even more money. And this is also the last peek we’ll get behind this curtain, as they’ve given up their tax-exempt status and don’t have to disclose the figures any more.
-----------
The resemblance to Vince McMahon is uncanny.
-----------
Why so fixated on his salary?

The NFL generates billions of dollars of revenue. Even if you disagree with Goodell’s decisions in some areas – he is leading an organization that has provided great returns for his bosses – the Team Owners.

At the end of the day, as long as the owners are happy – it is irrelevant what anyone else’s opinion is of his performance.
-----------
34 million for that joker, that’s insane.
----------
And before you complain about Roger’s salary… remember that Kim Kardashian brought in $52mil. America!

My first guess is too much.............
giphy.gif

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Just business, the boss has to make more than his minions otherwise he can't rule.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#1 - he's turning the the NFL into a powderpuff league that if it continues will eventually resemble the Pro Bowl. This is due to the concussion lawsuits and that offense seems to be more important to him than defense. The quarterbacks and wide receivers are allowed an inordinate amount of protection. But then I'm one who loves watching a dominating defense.

#2 - his decisions when it comes to fining players, coaches, and front office employees are not fair and balanced. He's all over the place and one can never be sure how he will handle each case.

#3 - the continual incompetence of the referees is both shocking.

#4 - the bloviating b.s. leading up to the Rams moving to LA.

If I were his boss and gave him a review, I'd tell him he's lucky he still has a job and to straighten up.

#1 Is it him or is it society at large with the media attention every "crisis/issue" that they cover of the NFL? Also the changes in offense was something that started under Tagliabue and we're seeing the culmination of now under Goodell.

#2 I don't disagree with at all but I would question with regards to the players what he can and can't do with regards to the union.

#3 Again what can he do with the ref's union? I don't know but I would imagine having dealt with several unions in my life that there are things built into the CBA that make it almost impossible to discipline or punish a referee for a bad performance.

#4 IMO with the LA situation he either should have been heavily involved or stayed 100% out of it. He was half in half out and all over the place instead.

Keep in mind I don't like him any more than you do. But a lot of the stuff he's blamed for has been happening for a long time and is coming to a head under him. But if you wanna see why he makes what he makes look at two things.

#1 The league is more profitable than ever.

#2 Even with all these negatives that you and I and others can raise about the league, the product on the field and how fans are treated the NFL is as popular as ever. TV contracts are going up in value and attendance is relatively flat from the last 8-10 years. In 2008 there were 17.33 million people attending regular season games, in 2015 there were 17.26 people attending games. That is last year with three teams suffering lagged attendance due to the relocation mess and the Vikings playing in a smaller college stadium. Also with the last labor deal and the one that is coming up, which IMO will be his last labor deal, he's kept the NFL as the only major sport that limits guaranteed money for players. I dislike the guy as much as anybody but it's very easy to see why he makes what he does.

I've said for a long time I think after Inglewood opens and he's negotiated the next CBA he'll retire and we'll see Condoleezza Rice as our next commissioner.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/18/roger-goodell-nfl-commissioner-player-conduct-owner-revenue

Goodell, 10 Years Later
Roger Goodell is closing in on a full decade as NFL commissioner. A look at the policies that have defined his tenure, and why, despite a rocky public perception, he has staying power
by Andrew Brandt

roger-goodell-strohmeyer.jpg

Damian Strohmeyer/Sports Illustrated

Tuesday’s news of Roger Goodell’s bloated compensation, $34.1 million in 2014, was met with the usual contempt and criticism that normally accompany the annual disclosure of the commissioner’s compensation. While many leaders of companies with revenues in the $10-12 billion range make far less, many make far more. For the NFL owners and Goodell, we have now reached the end of this annual opportunity for derision.

The NFL switched to a for-profit status this past April, as the prior status only served as more fodder for derision (it was never fully understood by the public, as it only affected league office financial statements, not billions of revenue flowing to the teams). Thus, there will no longer be a requirement of filing compensation for top leaders in public documents.

But here’s a tip: Goodell’s number is only going north. With business booming and revenues soaring, Goodell—six months away from the 10th anniversary of his ascension to the league office’s top position—is pleasing the people who matter in his world.

Goodell’s actions draw more of the spotlight than perhaps any other previous or current commissioner—in any sport—largely due to him being the most identified person, for better or worse, of the most-analyzed sports entity in the country. Owners are too aligned with their individual markets; Goodell, with his corporate and unrevealing manner, is clearly the face of the league.

In some ways he is like a highly recognizable athlete or entertainer in the nonstop news cycle in which we live: Most of his actions draw loud (often negative) reactions that resonate through the social media echo chamber.

Goodell has morphed from a player conduct commissioner to an owners’ interests commissioner, although he has never lost sight of either priority. Let’s examine.

Conduct Commissioner
I have often said that when we look back on the tenure of Goodell in 50 years, he will be seen as the Conduct Commissioner, legislating player behavior (misbehavior) in ways not seen from previous commissioners. From the moment he took office, he tried to implement his personal beliefs about role modeling and players holding themselves to a higher standard.

And while predecessor Paul Tagliabue, a lawyer, would wait for the legal process to play out before levying discipline, Goodell has had no qualms about imposing discipline before legal resolution, or without any criminal charges filed.

For this, among other reasons, Goodell has earned the wrath of the NFL Players Association. Even before the 2011 CBA negotiations, the union thought that Goodell had “jumped the shark” in player conduct and were looking to rein him in with independent arbitration. Of course, the union’s priorities changed in the horse-trading to make a deal and Goodell’s “judge, jury and executioner” powers continued.

Even armed with victories in legal proceedings involving Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy and Tom Brady—with yet another Brady appeal next month—Goodell ignored the union in fashioning the league’s new Personal Conduct Policy and still clings closely to his CBA power.

Serving ‘The Membership’
Beyond player conduct, recent issues have crystallized the reality of Goodell’s constituency. Although we have a utopian vision of sports commissioners serving all parties—owners, players, fans, etc.—it is becoming increasingly clear in the growing business of sports that commissioners today primarily serve one constituency: the owners.

While Goodell (as all commissioners do) talks of the fans, the players and other constituencies, the reality is that he serves “the membership”: the owners of the 32 clubs in the NFL. This is not a revelation to those like myself who have seen league/owner interactions for years, but perhaps a disappointment to those who hold dear to the notion of a commissioner truly serving the best interests of all parties.

Goodell’s actions and interactions in this, his 10th year on the job, clearly illustrate the priorities that he serves:

Race to L.A.: The clear winner in the three-team race to heed the siren song of Los Angeles was Rams owner Stan Kroenke, with the clear losers being the citizens and city leaders of St. Louis, followed by the erstwhile favorite to move, Chargers owner Dean Spanos. That outcome was the result of a couple of harsh decisions by Goodell to allow: (1) league point man (henchman?) Eric Grubman to do the dirty work for Kroenke in St. Louis, a former role of Goodell’s in NFL hierarchy, and (2) multiple owners to betray loyal partner Spanos through a secret ballot vote usually reserved only for Super Bowl site voting.

A faction of the membership, led by Jerry Jones, turned the room away from sentimentality for Spanos to Kroenke’s revenue-bursting Shangri La in Inglewood. Although Spanos and Mark Davis walked away with $100 million parting gifts to seek local stadium plans, the process resonated as a mutiny on Spanos, with Goodell the steward for a membership with a relentless goal of increasing revenues in every imaginable way.

DFS: Goodell continues walk a tightrope with Daily Fantasy, softly embracing it even as legislators brand it with the G-word that flies in the face of the league’s integrity: gambling. Goodell claims his moral ground in distinguishing the NFL from other leagues that invested in FanDuel (NBA) and DraftKings (Major League Baseball). Despite the lack of league investment, of course, 28 teams have sponsorship deals, and Jones and Robert Kraft have equity stakes in DraftKings.

Goodell knows the membership values DFS as a powerful fan engagement tool and obvious revenue source, so he continues to do a delicate dance straddling the line between DFS and gambling as long as he reasonably can.

Concussions/Health and Safety: Goodell has wisely made this issue a priority since being chastised—even compared to the tobacco industry—during 2009 congressional hearings. Although even Goodell’s staunchest critics admit improved protocols and treatment for head trauma, the scrutiny will not cease, which is a good thing. Behind the optics, however, there is the cold reality: The NFL is in the final stages of settling a massive concussion litigation that will (1) cost each owner roughly $25-30 million, much of it covered by insurance, (2) contain no NFL admission of liability, and (3) not provide any benefit to those dying from CTE.

Owners know that, under Goodell’s watch, they have weathered the threat of billions of dollars of exposure and potentially damaging discovery documents. While documentaries and movies such as League of Denial and Concussion will continue to shine a spotlight on the league’s past, it appears to have had no measurable impact on the NFL’s unrivaled prosperity. The membership knows that the concussion issue will continue to be front and center—which it should be—but now without the threat of future litigation.

Television: Despite grave warnings of the fractionalized audience for television programming, NFL ratings seem to break new records every week. In the most recent television negotiations, the NFL added NBC to the existing CBS relationship for Thursday Night Football. At a reported $450 million rights fee from the networks combined, the NFL (1) negotiated a dramatic 50% increase from the $300 million paid this year while (2) replacing highly-rated entertainment programming on two networks with NFL football.

And they are not done: there will be OTT (Over The Top) streaming rights sold—think Google, Apple, Netflix, etc.—to add to the TNF haul, a sign of the future as different content delivery methods are added to the traditional network viewing experience. The NFL’s largest revenue source, broadcast rights, is only getting larger.

Labor: Goodell’s relationship with DeMaurice Smith and the NFLPA continues to be characterized by a lack of trust, with obstacles in reaching agreement on virtually anything, save a revised drug policy including HGH testing. Much of that inertia, however, is at the direction of ownership. With a team-friendly CBA lasting for the extraordinary length of 10 years with no opt-outs, there is no incentive for the membership to further negotiate anything until much closer to the next negotiation in 2020.

Thus, while Goodell will occasionally sound amenable to including Smith and the union—and even appear open to changes in the player conduct policy—that has largely been a mirage. The membership knows things are fine just the way they are.

Valuations: The most recent franchise sale—the Buffalo Bills for $1.4 billion—has set a floor. Several teams have valuations over $2 billion; the Rams’ move to Los Angeles will eventually double their valuation to over $3 billion while raising valuations throughout the league. NFL owners, many of whom got in for a fraction of their present valuations, are quite satisfied right now.

Roger Goodell is the modern commissioner in the truest sense: representing the best interests of his owners and taking the bullets so they don’t have to. He has been scorned and ridiculed by players, fans, media and even still-close friend Robert Kraft (they compartmentalize well), yet carries on with full support from the membership.

Granted, Goodell does not help himself with his sometimes-robotic appearance and bland, unrevealing comments (while with the Packers I did witness a more personal, vulnerable and human side to him; it is there). However, he is who he is in large part because that is who his bosses want him to be.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/18/roger-goodell-nfl-commissioner-player-conduct-owner-revenue

Goodell, 10 Years Later
Roger Goodell is closing in on a full decade as NFL commissioner. A look at the policies that have defined his tenure, and why, despite a rocky public perception, he has staying power
by Andrew Brandt

roger-goodell-strohmeyer.jpg

Damian Strohmeyer/Sports Illustrated

Tuesday’s news of Roger Goodell’s bloated compensation, $34.1 million in 2014, was met with the usual contempt and criticism that normally accompany the annual disclosure of the commissioner’s compensation. While many leaders of companies with revenues in the $10-12 billion range make far less, many make far more. For the NFL owners and Goodell, we have now reached the end of this annual opportunity for derision.

The NFL switched to a for-profit status this past April, as the prior status only served as more fodder for derision (it was never fully understood by the public, as it only affected league office financial statements, not billions of revenue flowing to the teams). Thus, there will no longer be a requirement of filing compensation for top leaders in public documents.

But here’s a tip: Goodell’s number is only going north. With business booming and revenues soaring, Goodell—six months away from the 10th anniversary of his ascension to the league office’s top position—is pleasing the people who matter in his world.

Goodell’s actions draw more of the spotlight than perhaps any other previous or current commissioner—in any sport—largely due to him being the most identified person, for better or worse, of the most-analyzed sports entity in the country. Owners are too aligned with their individual markets; Goodell, with his corporate and unrevealing manner, is clearly the face of the league.

In some ways he is like a highly recognizable athlete or entertainer in the nonstop news cycle in which we live: Most of his actions draw loud (often negative) reactions that resonate through the social media echo chamber.

Goodell has morphed from a player conduct commissioner to an owners’ interests commissioner, although he has never lost sight of either priority. Let’s examine.

Conduct Commissioner
I have often said that when we look back on the tenure of Goodell in 50 years, he will be seen as the Conduct Commissioner, legislating player behavior (misbehavior) in ways not seen from previous commissioners. From the moment he took office, he tried to implement his personal beliefs about role modeling and players holding themselves to a higher standard.

And while predecessor Paul Tagliabue, a lawyer, would wait for the legal process to play out before levying discipline, Goodell has had no qualms about imposing discipline before legal resolution, or without any criminal charges filed.

For this, among other reasons, Goodell has earned the wrath of the NFL Players Association. Even before the 2011 CBA negotiations, the union thought that Goodell had “jumped the shark” in player conduct and were looking to rein him in with independent arbitration. Of course, the union’s priorities changed in the horse-trading to make a deal and Goodell’s “judge, jury and executioner” powers continued.

Even armed with victories in legal proceedings involving Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Greg Hardy and Tom Brady—with yet another Brady appeal next month—Goodell ignored the union in fashioning the league’s new Personal Conduct Policy and still clings closely to his CBA power.

Serving ‘The Membership’
Beyond player conduct, recent issues have crystallized the reality of Goodell’s constituency. Although we have a utopian vision of sports commissioners serving all parties—owners, players, fans, etc.—it is becoming increasingly clear in the growing business of sports that commissioners today primarily serve one constituency: the owners.

While Goodell (as all commissioners do) talks of the fans, the players and other constituencies, the reality is that he serves “the membership”: the owners of the 32 clubs in the NFL. This is not a revelation to those like myself who have seen league/owner interactions for years, but perhaps a disappointment to those who hold dear to the notion of a commissioner truly serving the best interests of all parties.

Goodell’s actions and interactions in this, his 10th year on the job, clearly illustrate the priorities that he serves:

Race to L.A.: The clear winner in the three-team race to heed the siren song of Los Angeles was Rams owner Stan Kroenke, with the clear losers being the citizens and city leaders of St. Louis, followed by the erstwhile favorite to move, Chargers owner Dean Spanos. That outcome was the result of a couple of harsh decisions by Goodell to allow: (1) league point man (henchman?) Eric Grubman to do the dirty work for Kroenke in St. Louis, a former role of Goodell’s in NFL hierarchy, and (2) multiple owners to betray loyal partner Spanos through a secret ballot vote usually reserved only for Super Bowl site voting.

A faction of the membership, led by Jerry Jones, turned the room away from sentimentality for Spanos to Kroenke’s revenue-bursting Shangri La in Inglewood. Although Spanos and Mark Davis walked away with $100 million parting gifts to seek local stadium plans, the process resonated as a mutiny on Spanos, with Goodell the steward for a membership with a relentless goal of increasing revenues in every imaginable way.

DFS: Goodell continues walk a tightrope with Daily Fantasy, softly embracing it even as legislators brand it with the G-word that flies in the face of the league’s integrity: gambling. Goodell claims his moral ground in distinguishing the NFL from other leagues that invested in FanDuel (NBA) and DraftKings (Major League Baseball). Despite the lack of league investment, of course, 28 teams have sponsorship deals, and Jones and Robert Kraft have equity stakes in DraftKings.

Goodell knows the membership values DFS as a powerful fan engagement tool and obvious revenue source, so he continues to do a delicate dance straddling the line between DFS and gambling as long as he reasonably can.

Concussions/Health and Safety: Goodell has wisely made this issue a priority since being chastised—even compared to the tobacco industry—during 2009 congressional hearings. Although even Goodell’s staunchest critics admit improved protocols and treatment for head trauma, the scrutiny will not cease, which is a good thing. Behind the optics, however, there is the cold reality: The NFL is in the final stages of settling a massive concussion litigation that will (1) cost each owner roughly $25-30 million, much of it covered by insurance, (2) contain no NFL admission of liability, and (3) not provide any benefit to those dying from CTE.

Owners know that, under Goodell’s watch, they have weathered the threat of billions of dollars of exposure and potentially damaging discovery documents. While documentaries and movies such as League of Denial and Concussion will continue to shine a spotlight on the league’s past, it appears to have had no measurable impact on the NFL’s unrivaled prosperity. The membership knows that the concussion issue will continue to be front and center—which it should be—but now without the threat of future litigation.

Television: Despite grave warnings of the fractionalized audience for television programming, NFL ratings seem to break new records every week. In the most recent television negotiations, the NFL added NBC to the existing CBS relationship for Thursday Night Football. At a reported $450 million rights fee from the networks combined, the NFL (1) negotiated a dramatic 50% increase from the $300 million paid this year while (2) replacing highly-rated entertainment programming on two networks with NFL football.

And they are not done: there will be OTT (Over The Top) streaming rights sold—think Google, Apple, Netflix, etc.—to add to the TNF haul, a sign of the future as different content delivery methods are added to the traditional network viewing experience. The NFL’s largest revenue source, broadcast rights, is only getting larger.

Labor: Goodell’s relationship with DeMaurice Smith and the NFLPA continues to be characterized by a lack of trust, with obstacles in reaching agreement on virtually anything, save a revised drug policy including HGH testing. Much of that inertia, however, is at the direction of ownership. With a team-friendly CBA lasting for the extraordinary length of 10 years with no opt-outs, there is no incentive for the membership to further negotiate anything until much closer to the next negotiation in 2020.

Thus, while Goodell will occasionally sound amenable to including Smith and the union—and even appear open to changes in the player conduct policy—that has largely been a mirage. The membership knows things are fine just the way they are.

Valuations: The most recent franchise sale—the Buffalo Bills for $1.4 billion—has set a floor. Several teams have valuations over $2 billion; the Rams’ move to Los Angeles will eventually double their valuation to over $3 billion while raising valuations throughout the league. NFL owners, many of whom got in for a fraction of their present valuations, are quite satisfied right now.

Roger Goodell is the modern commissioner in the truest sense: representing the best interests of his owners and taking the bullets so they don’t have to. He has been scorned and ridiculed by players, fans, media and even still-close friend Robert Kraft (they compartmentalize well), yet carries on with full support from the membership.

Granted, Goodell does not help himself with his sometimes-robotic appearance and bland, unrevealing comments (while with the Packers I did witness a more personal, vulnerable and human side to him; it is there). However, he is who he is in large part because that is who his bosses want him to be.

This was a good read and super accurate breakdown, albeit a condensed version, of what he is and why he has does what he's done for the last several years.