Gruden: Grayson is worth second round pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/in...rback-garrett-grayson-worth-second-round-pick

ESPN NFL Insider Mike Sando went to Orlando, Florida, to watch Jon Gruden's QB Camp taping with Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson. Sando has written, in Gruden's voice, Gruden's biggest takeaways from the interview and throwing sessions.

You can see Gruden's episode with Grayson Saturday at 4 p.m. ET on ESPN.

1. Mental quickness within a pro-style mindset is what separates Grayson from the others.

This guy has had a vast amount of training and is further along than most guys I've met in the last 3-4 years because of Steve Fairchild and the staff Jim McElwain had at Colorado State. Grayson has had a different type of training, being with two different guys who have been in the NFL. He is very quick mentally, and he just knows what I'm talking about. We covered four hours of film in an hour. You can cover a week's worth of football in a day with him.

Grayson has great recall. As soon as a play came up on the tape we watched together, he knew what it was. He could remember every single aspect of the play. The game-winner against Boston College, he found his fifth option on a route they had never even run before. That is a dead route. He threw the dead route on the biggest play in Colorado State history. He just has unbelievable recall, a photographic mind. That is impressive. He is obviously wired into this stuff pretty good. I like him a lot.

2. His arm isn't going to blow you away.

Grayson does not try to overpower you with the ball. You can tell he is more interested in location. He did not spin it great at our workout, but these were not great balls, either. Overall, he is pretty accurate. He did great in the key drill. I just think he is what you are looking for. Quick-minded as can be. Can kill a play, no problem. Opposite, ringo, lucky, laser, razor -- he makes all the calls. And he runs 4.7 and has 10½-inch hands and can play in bad weather. He is a great kid, too.

3. Grayson's draft stock could be a lot higher than people realize.

A team with an offense that wants to do a lot of things is going to like Grayson. I'm not talking about a zone-read, dive-option offense. I'm talking about a team that wants to do what New England is doing in preparing Jimmy Garoppolo after taking him early in the 2014 second round. I could see this guy going in the second round -- easily. I would be shocked if he isn't taken that early. I could even see him sneaking into the first round when you look at a lot of the teams that need quarterbacks.

His stock will be rising, especially after he had a great pro day. He didn't run in Indianapolis. He was MVP of the Senior Bowl. If you are not real careful with this kid, he will get off the mat and kick your butt. He just won't quit. Ask Boston College. He will gray shirt, he will redshirt, he will go to his home in Vancouver, Washington, catch a salmon, come back and kick your butt. He did it against Washington State; he did it against Utah State.

4. Three kinds of quickness matter a great deal for quarterbacks, and Grayson has a head start on the most important one.

We talk about the three kinds of quickness: the mental quickness, the arm quickness and the foot quickness. He has the mental quickness, and that is the hardest quickness to achieve. You can get a quarterback coach who can increase the quickness of your arm. We did a couple of drills to work on quickening Grayson's release. You can get your feet a little quicker by working plyometrics and things like that. To have this type of mental quickness at this stage of the game is going to serve him very well. He can take what is inside out onto the field, no problem.

thehammer

Rookie
now my 2nd rated qb after Mariota.....

very mobile inside the pocket just wish he was more accurate on the run

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Grayson seems to be the board favorite and the Rams are holding a private workout with Grayson. Wonder if he lasts until round three because IMO, Hundley will go before him although some have a higher grade on Grayson...IDK truly if the likes of Hundley & Petty are handicapped because of the offense they came from then going forward colleges are going to produce less and less signal callers IMO.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Grayson seems to be the board favorite and the Rams are holding a private workout with Grayson. Wonder if he lasts until round three because IMO, Hundley will go before him although some have a higher grade on Grayson...IDK truly if the likes of Hundley & Petty are handicapped because of the offense they came from then going forward colleges are going to produce less and less signal callers IMO.

Just curious - Would you be upset if the Rams don't draft a QB at all? Personally, I would be fine with the Rams going into next season with Foles, Keenum and Davis.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just curious - Would you be upset if the Rams don't draft a QB at all? Personally, I would be fine with the Rams going into next season with Foles, Keenum and Davis.

Would I'd be upset? If they truly don't like anyone, then no, but they are drafting a QB and IMO, it will be the third round or higher and IMO it will be Hundley, Petty or Grayson unless the three come off the board much earlier than expected.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams Org is in need of adding a good QB prospect. Timing is real bad because the QB selection is very light & the demand very heavy.......this combo would almost assure that QB's who normally go a lot higher than most other positions will come off the board at a rate & higher that has not been seen in a long time.

I would be stunned if either of the top two QB prospects will make it out of the top five picks. Thus the next three QB prospects is sure to come into play early. Petty-Grayson-Hundley...then a little bit lower is Mannon. I think this 2015 draft will shock most of us on just how fast these QB prospects come off the board. Are there any naysayers?

Would Fisher be very LUCKY to be able to pull the trigger here on a Grayson or Mannon with the #41 second round pick?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would Fisher be very LUCKY to be able to pull the trigger here on a Grayson or Mannon with the #41 second round pick?

I would, however I really-really want to trade down from 10 to get an extra second to make that pick.

tumblr_lhh9mu1v6W1qafrh6.gif

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
When has a second round pick QB made it? I'm not saying Grayson won't be the first, but it seems like no mans land for QBs there

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Watched some more tape on him, his arm strength is an issue for me, because when he tries to throw an out, CB's are all over it. Let's see how that works in the NFL, because his with his quick mind, guys are still getting the jump on his throw. His release kills me. If we take him, I hope I'm wrong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Watched some more tape on him, his arm strength is an issue for me, because when he tries to throw an out, CB's are all over it. Let's see how that works in the NFL, because his with his quick mind, guys are still getting the jump on his throw. His release kills me. If we take him, I hope I'm wrong.

I totally agree. I really am not impressed with Grayson and a second round pick is a waste if used on him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would, however I really-really want to trade down from 10 to get an extra second to make that pick.
This is by far my greatest desire here 12 days before the draft CGI. Its the way I felt back in February & its the same way I feel today
Mannion? at #41? what are you trying to do? ruin my entire draft weekend? lol
Sorry bout that it was not my intentions..... But I put it in a question did not say I wanted any part of it .....but it worries me too. The last thing this Ram fans wants to do is use its #41 on one of these second tier QB's. Yes any selection of QB outside of Jameis or MM any earlier than our #72 third rd. section will (as you said) just about ruin my draft weekend.

If as many here are commenting on Fisher select a WR like DeVante Parker to be a reserve receiver with the #10 then use the #41 for a third string reserve QB.... it means your into using at best, your 3rd round selection to try to finally get around trying to land several soon to be starters in your deprive OL. If that was the case this Ram Fan early draft will be horrific.

That's a tall order from Rams HC Jeff Fisher who has yet to show he is able, capable of coming close to completing that task. It will be interesting 3 day event starting April 30th.:notsure:

Last edited:

Athos

Legend

Yuck. Pretty much confirmed my thoughts on his arm and release then. I hate that side arm thing he does. And the out pattern is essential route to the O. SheHags CBs would have a field day with that.

He's not 2nd round material in a stronger QB draft.

If we take him, I hope to eat a massive dose of crow, as we will have passed on several quality players for him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I guess I come from the camp that none of the other QB impress me or strike me as eventual starters so I kinda don't care who we take - thought I imagine we take someone. I just hope it's later in the draft and not on the 1st two days. That would bum me out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yuck. Pretty much confirmed my thoughts on his arm and release then. I hate that side arm thing he does. And the out pattern is essential route to the O. SheHags CBs would have a field day with that.

He's not 2nd round material in a stronger QB draft.

If we take him, I hope to eat a massive dose of crow, as we will have passed on several quality players for him.

The out pattern that he throws with timing, precision, and anticipation?

Luck doesn't throw that pattern with a ton of zip either. The key to that pattern in the NFL is timing and placement. Arm strength matters but it won't bail you out if your timing and placement are bad. But timing and placement can bail you out if your arm strength is bad.

I'll post a couple videos later showing how good his timing is on that pattern.

Grayson is my guy. Winston and Mariota aren't going to make it to us (from all reports). If that is true, I want Grayson. He's already shown the skills needed to succeed at the next level. Something the other QBs in this class have not.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The out pattern that he throws with timing, precision, and anticipation?

Luck doesn't throw that pattern with a ton of zip either. The key to that pattern in the NFL is timing and placement. Arm strength matters but it won't bail you out if your timing and placement are bad. But timing and placement can bail you out if your arm strength is bad.

I'll post a couple videos later showing how good his timing is on that pattern.

Grayson is my guy. Winston and Mariota aren't going to make it to us (from all reports). If that is true, I want Grayson. He's already shown the skills needed to succeed at the next level. Something the other QBs in this class have not.
Why is Winston working out for everybody, if he's not falling? Seems unusual to me. My point about the out and Grayson, is that in the other game I watched, it was getting broken up. Now, with all this great anticipation, etc. Smaller windows of opportunity in the NFL, we all know that.

It's not just an arm strength issue for me, but he doesn't look ready to me, either. I respect your guys opinions, I just don't share them regarding, Grayson. I'd have to meet him, watch him throw live, to change my opinion on him. I haven't even had enough exposure to him to form an opinion on his leadership, and character type, but those things are very important to me, as well as having a QB with intelligence.

Last edited: