Group aims to send 2 humans on Mars mission in 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By John Zarrella, CNN
<a class="postlink" href="http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02/27/group-aims-to-send-2-humans-on-mars-mission-in-2018/?on.cnn=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2013/02 ... /?on.cnn=1</a>

[flv]http://ht.cdn.turner.com/cnn/big//us/2013/02/22/jz-mars-mission-for-america.cnn_640x360_dl.flv[/flv]

If soon-to-be-unveiled plans pan out, a man and a woman may represent humanity on one journey that has never been attempted before: a mission to Mars.

“It’s incredibly feasible. It’s not crazy talk," said Taber MacCallum, CEO of Paragon Space Development Corp.

MacCallum and millionaire Dennis Tito are set to announce plans Wednesday to send a couple of earthlings on a 501-day trip in a spacecraft that would fly by the red planet. The proposal is to be unveiled at the National Press Club in Washington.

The mission would lift off in 2018. It would not involve landing on Mars, making the proposed journey infinitely easier than putting people on the planet's surface, which NASA wants to do later this century.

Tito has founded the Inspiration Mars Foundation, a nonprofit organization spearheading this effort. No stranger to space, the one-time NASA engineer became in 2001 the first space tourist flying on a Russian rocket to the International Space Station.

The public-private initiative could, according to MacCallum, use an existing rocket and capsule.

“If you take existing chemistry and technology and add some improved technologies," he said, "you can get a mission together.” A life support system also would have to be developed.

The group is not asking NASA for money, he said.

“This is a philanthropic effort to be done for America,” MacCallum said. It could be accomplished for under $1 billion, he said, a figure that’s cheap compared with the tens of billions of dollars a NASA landing on Mars would cost.

Despite MacCallum’s optimism, pulling off such a feat within five years is no small task.

Besides life support for the crew, one of the biggest challenges would be the return into the Earth's atmosphere. Heat shielding for a high speed re-entry hasn’t been tested. NASA isn’t even testing its new system on the Orion spacecraft until next year at the earliest. Orion is in development to take astronauts back to the moon and on to Mars.

And there’s also concern about radiation exposure. The man and woman whom MacCallum and Tito want to send would likely be a married couple. Because of the radiation risk, MacCallum said, they’d be older and “out of the childbearing years.”

The year for the mission was chosen because Mars will be 36 million miles away, about as close as it ever gets to Earth.

But consider: The humans who have traveled the farthest from Earth were the Apollo astronauts – nearly a quarter-million miles to the moon. Next to the Mars journey, that’s like a walk around the block.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hmmmm .... 501 days of being locked inside a small capsule with your significant other.

My wife and I are best friends ,,, but I'm not even sure that we would be speaking after that much time together.

Better than being locked up with another dude though I guess :sly:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Selassie I said:
Hmmmm .... 501 days of being locked inside a small capsule with your significant other.

My wife and I are best friends ,,, but I'm not even sure that we would be speaking after that much time together.

Unless you can bring a super model... 501 days, she's gotta give in eventually right??

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:

Unless you can bring a super model... 501 days, she's gotta give in eventually right??

That's very true and is an excellent point, but you'd still be forced into "conversation" with her. That may not be worth the poke.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
bluecoconuts said:
Selassie I said:

That's very true and is an excellent point, but you'd still be forced into "conversation" with her. That may not be worth the poke.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In space, given the lack of oxygen and gravity, it's dangerous to talk while in clothes, at a minimum you should be topless while in space, especially if you wish to talk. Didn't you know?? I'm just looking out for her safety, it's because I care.