Ground and Pound Revisited

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
As an old hand in the dirt guy, I love the rushing attack. I would as soon have the ball shaped like a UPS package and no one could throw it.
It is my contrary nature to look back and see how effective grinding teams down can be over the course of a season. Could it be the grinder is the one reduced to fine dust, AKA "battle fatigue"?

Since 1934, 42 teams have averaged 5.0 YPA. Of those 42 teams only 4 won championships (2 in the old AFL) and none have won a superbowl. In 2012 4 teams averaged > 5.YPA The Vikings, Bills, Redskins and 49ers. The 49ers were the only one to make it to the playoffs, while the Vikings with the incredible comeback of Adrian Peterson finished 6-10.
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/the-50-club-best-rushing-teams-nfl-history/22686/
I want Fisher to succeed. I want the Rams to stay. After reflecting, I was very excited about our draft choices -all of them. I think Foles need be more than just a guy handing the ball off if we are to win.

Memphis Ram

Legend
As an old hand in the dirt guy, I love the rushing attack. I would as soon have the ball shaped like a UPS package and no one could throw it.
It is my contrary nature to look back and see how effective grinding teams down can be over the course of a season. Could it be the grinder is the one reduced to fine dust, AKA "battle fatigue"?

Since 1934, 42 teams have averaged 5.0 YPA. Of those 42 teams only 4 won championships (2 in the old AFL) and none have won a superbowl. In 2012 4 teams averaged > 5.YPA The Vikings, Bills, Redskins and 49ers. The 49ers were the only one to make it to the playoffs, while the Vikings with the incredible comeback of Adrian Peterson finished 6-10.
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/the-50-club-best-rushing-teams-nfl-history/22686/
I want Fisher to succeed. I want the Rams to stay. After reflecting, I was very excited about our draft choices -all of them. I think Foles need be more than just a guy handing the ball off if we are to win.

Any idea how many of those teams had strong defenses to go with their rushing attacks?

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Any idea how many of those teams had strong defenses to go with their rushing attacks?
non of them except maybe the Bills. I'm not sure if they had emerged that year yet tho. so that's the reason for lack of success. can't keep breaking down success based on being really good at one or two things. it's a team game. if these "refrigerators with legs" are legit and Foles stays up right. then get ready for some bloody smash mouth football on both sides of the ball.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't go back to 1935, but most recently 2011 and 2012, The Bills, Niners, Vikings and Carolina all had, maybe not "shutdown D's", but all very respectable defenses.
It seems that if a team's D can stop the ground assault in the first half and maybe go to the locker room up by 7-10 points then the game changes dramatically. IMHO. Just a guess. Again, I am all for the ground game. The odds get long without a capable QB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't go back to 1935, but most recently 2011 and 2012, The Bills, Niners, Vikings and Carolina all had, maybe not "shutdown D's", but all very respectable defenses.
It seems that if a team's D can stop the ground assault in the first half and maybe go to the locker room up by 7-10 points then the game changes dramatically. IMHO. Just a guess. Again, I am all for the ground game. The odds get long without a capable QB.

Was really curious about this take so I did a little research.

The year the Panthers averaged 5.0 YPA (2011), their defense ranked 28th in yards allowed and 27th in points allowed.

In 2012, the Bills averaged 5.0 YPA, but their defense ranked 22th in yards allowed & 26th in points allowed.

In 2013, the Vikings averaged 4.9 YPC, but their defense ranked 31st in yards allowed and 32nd in points allowed.

I guess the closet example is when in 2012, the Vikings averaged 5.4 YPC and their defense ranked 16th in yards allowed and 14th in points allowed.
(2011 5.2 YPC vs. 21st & 31st rankings).

Memphis Ram

Legend
Oops. I hate I wasted my time on those other teams.

2012 49ers averaged 5.1 YPC, had 3rd ranked defense in yards allowed and 2nd in points scored and barely lost to the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

BTW, the Seahawks averaged 5.3 YPA last year and would have won the Super Bowl, too, if not for a horrible play call to end the game (#1 rated defense in yards and points allowed).

Limey

Rookie
In theory, having a great ground game that can bash out 5+ yards per carry should keep your defence off the field, so those teams you found with really low ranked D's must have really sucked on that side of the ball.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In theory, having a great ground game that can bash out 5+ yards per carry should keep your defence off the field, so those teams you found with really low ranked D's must have really sucked on that side of the ball.

Keep in mind that it's easier to have a good yard per carry average if you're playing behind, especially by more than a touchdown, since teams focus more on defending the pass in such situations, and are less concerned about giving up a 6 yard run that doesn't stop the clock.

Limey

Rookie
Keep in mind that it's easier to have a good yard per carry average if you're playing behind, especially by more than a touchdown, since teams focus more on defending the pass in such situations, and are less concerned about giving up a 6 yard run that doesn't stop the clock.
Good point. I was thinking in terms of strong running teams, rather than crappy teams that are always facing a soft prevent. I suppose that if they spent most of the season playing behind, they probably did still suck on that side of the ball though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

5 per tote is a REALLY high standard. Maybe too high........

Alan

Legend
Akrasian with a good point that may not mean anything:
I like your thinking here Akrasian but in your scenario would a team actually run it enough to actually affect their YPC in a meaningful way?

RamzFanz

Damnit

A lot of good points in this thread.

I have no reason to believe a well balanced team like the Rams is going ground and pound except when well out ahead. There's way to much catching talent.