GRob eager to return to field

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...38/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-mmmBblORqvwR7ywudoOmAw

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) — Greg Robinson's mother and grandmother were among more than 50 of his friends and family members in the Superdome stands last weekend to watch the Louisiana native's homecoming with the Los Angeles Rams.

Unfortunately, Robinson had to watch as well. He was deactivated by coach Jeff Fisher, who decided the Rams' prized left tackle needed a break from competition after an uneven season.

"I tried my best to support the team as much as possible, to show it really didn't bother me," Robinson said Wednesday after practice. "But deep down, it was frustrating. My mom and my grandmother didn't get to see me back home playing, and I don't know the next time when I'll be back in the Dome. But it was good to see my family and just to get them outside of the neighborhood, just to come together for once and do something in terms of supporting me."

Robinson was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 draft, chosen out of Auburn to be the pillar of the Rams' rebuilt offensive line. Instead, Robinson is deep into his third NFL season and still struggling to produce consistent play for an inconsistent offense.

This season alone, Robinson has committed 12 penalties — the most in the NFL by any offensive player. The problems culminated in Fisher's unusual decision to keep him out of uniform for a one-game mental reset.

"He's been great," Fisher said about Robinson. "He understands. Every once in a while, when you take a step back and watch what's going on and see things through a different window, it's life-changing. He is really excited right now. He's been in here early. He's staying late. He's focused. We've got some stuff behind him, and he's excited about playing."

Fisher didn't elaborate on his assertion that Robinson faced some "outside distractions" this year, instead praising the 6-foot-5 blocker for his recommitment to the team.

Robinson didn't sound quite as happy about the past week of his life.

"Things just weren't falling in line for us, so it's a decision they made, and all I can do is accept it," Robinson said. "It wasn't like I could tell them, 'No, I'm not sitting out.' I feel it was smart for him to allow me to take a break. I feel like I used it (to the) best of my ability, to just accept that task and try to move on."

Robinson had started 38 consecutive games for the Rams. He has returned to practice this week, and is likely to be back in the starting lineup for the Rams (4-7) on Sunday at New England — particularly since his replacement at New Orleans, guard Rodger Saffold, hurt his hand against the Saints.

Robinson knows he commits too many penalties, but he also provides a physical presence on the line while protecting Jared Goff's blind side. Goff was sacked three times in New Orleans, and the Patriots' pass-rush will be a test for Goff and his offensive line.

The Rams' offense has dropped back to 31st overall in the NFL after its 21-point effort against the Saints. The running game is 29th, but with just 83.1 yards per game.

Robinson seems eager to get back to work on a key five-game stretch for his career, regardless of the Rams' fortunes.

"I've been working on the same things since the season started," Robinson said. "I feel like I'm progressing in many ways, which a lot of people probably don't see. But as long as I know, I feel like I'm getting better, then I'm satisfied."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
referee-holding.gif

Ramzheart

Rookie
I'm all for benching a player for lack of production but I'm sorry I feel it was a tasteless move to do it to a player that is in his home area and has a group of family members attending the game. Maybe there's more to the story and he didn't think Robinson was giving 100% or some other rationale...Again, I'm not saying I wouldnt have benched him, would have probably done it well before week 12.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He just has the on field body language similar to Alex Barron when I watch him. I don't see a powerful and dominant run blocker. He simply doesn't look motivated to me. I hope this wakes him up, because he has tools to be a key contributor.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I had no idea it was his homecoming. In that case if it was up to me I would have started him, even though he does need benched IMHO. It's not like the Rams have a chance to make the playoffs or anything.
Again another horrible decision by Fisher. Oh but he showed who's boss. First he blames the players for everything then does this. Real Class act there.

fearsomefour

Legend
Grob, just remember to sit down, sit back or whatever term you prefer.
Nose over toes gets you back to the bench.

FRO

Legend
Alex Barron, Jason Smith, Greg Robinson, who you taking? To me when Barron wanted to play he was great. Robinson has the most gifts, but was drafted too raw. He still has time to turn it around. I wonder how much the head injury played into Jason Smith busting. Maybe he just sucked. Both Smith and Robinson played in gimmicky college offenses. That's a huge leap from that to the NFL game.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Time to bring isiah battle up from the practice squad finally?

He's one of the most known players we know nothing about. :shocking:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
He's soft as cottonelle, I don't think he will ever be a dominant LT , he has the tools and size just doesn't have the focus or drive . No way you can say you are focused when you commit as many dumb penalties as him . We really need him to step up because our line is a huge disappointment

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
He's soft as cottonelle, I don't think he will ever be a dominant LT , he has the tools and size just doesn't have the focus or drive . No way you can say you are focused when you commit as many dumb penalties as him . We really need him to step up because our line is a huge disappointment
Man ... don't insult my toilet paper like that!!!