Gregg Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Again, Marc Brunnel ,last week on Sirius waltzed all around it but everything he said told me Sanchez isn't smart enough to run Shotty's system.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I doubt that his "play call" in most of those situations call for a 3 yard pass, again, at some point its up to the players to execute regardless of the play.

As to "stretching the field, I anticipate they will make a concerted effort of do more of that this year. I do agree, the part of this system that baffles me, at least in what they do NOT do enough of, are the intermediate and deeper crossing routes. The "deep dig" route should be a staple in this offense. With both Britt and Quick and even Bailey running it, they should be a nightmare to opposing defenses.

But those routes also are slow to develop, so having time to run them has not always been a luxury. Hopefully, that will change.

So true and maybe not having the confidence in the offensive line to hold their blocks contributed to not running the deeper routes. Now IMO that should be totally different this year they should run the ball with authority and pound their opponent into submission then go up top for the big score. The Rams have several receivers that should be able to stretch the field primarily Austin & Givens, however, Britt and Quick should have the ability as well and Bailey is sneaky fast because of his ability to run precise routes similar to Isaac Bruce.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Again, Marc Brunnel ,last week on Sirius waltzed all around it but everything he said told me Sanchez isn't smart enough to run Shotty's system.

Schottenheimer's not smart enough to run Shotty's system.:sneaky: Seriously though no more excuses Shotty's will have three cerebral QB's to work with in Bradford, Hill and G Squared!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So true and maybe not having the confidence in the offensive line to hold their blocks contributed to not running the deeper routes. Now IMO that should be totally different this year they should run the ball with authority and pound their opponent into submission then go up top for the big score. The Rams have several receivers that should be able to stretch the field primarily Austin & Givens, however, Britt and Quick should have the ability as well and Bailey is sneaky fast because of his ability to run precise routes similar to Isaac Bruce.

not sure what your definition of "stretching the field" its, but for me, its not just dropping back and going "deep". Austin and even Givens don't have to be the guys who they count on to do that.

For me, stretching the field is as much about hitting the seams of the zones, with Cook, Kendricks, running that deep dig I referred to. All can be exploited in the play action game, freezing LBs, and drawing safeties up with that play action fake.

It can also be the difference in being able to run Austin on those crossing routes BEHIND the LBs by forcing them to bite on the run fake, rather than running that same routes IN FRONT OF deep dropping LBs who lay in waiting for him to catch the ball and converge. (think how often Amendola ran face first into a LB just waiting to take his head off)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
not sure what your definition of "stretching the field" its, but for me, its not just dropping back and going "deep". Austin and even Givens don't have to be the guys who they count on to do that.

For me, stretching the field is as much about hitting the seams of the zones, with Cook, Kendricks, running that deep dig I referred to. All can be exploited in the play action game, freezing LBs, and drawing safeties up with that play action fake.

Stretching the field is more than the deep routes, it's hitting the TE's in the seem as well combined with the crossing routes as you astutely illustrate, however, some teams do not have the ability to do that because they suffer from vertical congestion or the inability to run deeper routes. If you don't have the WR's than can get deep the crossing routes are useless because the safeties can close on the coverage because they're not concerned being beat over the top.

I was just pointing out that with Austin & Givens along with Britt & Quinn those WR's have the ability to run deeper patterns thus opening up more crossing routes because as you well know coach...You can't coach speed IMO you can coach a player to shave some time off his forty by form and his start, however, with the pads on, it's totally different.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO the best OC's are the guys who can find a rhythm in terms of playcalling deep into the game. Know when to run, know when to pass, know when to call the trick play, know when to adjust the tempo etc...
At times this offense has no rhyme or reason to the play calls. It has gotten better, and i expect it will continue to improve with execution and player continuity.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Greg Williams will turn this defense into what we should have had last year, and much more.

Walton was scared.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
As others have said Williams was the Biggest off season pickup. He will do wonders for a defense that is young and restless and ready to make a mark in the league. While I'm not a Big Shotty fan I don't think the teams issues on offense have been all his fault. The Main problem with this offense was when we were in power situations we couldn't get the job done because our oline wasn't really a Power oline. How many times on 3rd and short did we see the middle of our line collapsed. Our guards were a HUGE weakness. That wont be a problem this year with greggorius and Saffold manning the middle. we should be very very successful in short yardage this year. If we don't then it should definetly fall on Shotties shoulders

tonyl711

Starter
Good points as always, but from one Coach to another...Do you agree that Schotty seems to call the same exact plays when he's in a tough spot? Now I agree you go back to what's working, but at the goal line it seems I've seen the same exact play run time and time again. Now I've seen Schottenheimer more than most being that he was with the Jets, but my hope is that he needs to be a tad more creative and maybe having a lights out running game will improve the play action.
hard to be real creative when you have all first and second year WRs and RBs, plus losing Sam, and an Oline that was average at best. I fully expect major improvement with these guys all having at least a year in the league, a vastly improved Oline and a healthy Sam.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Williams has typically been big risk, big reward with his blitzes. How does that change if our front four constantly get pressure without the need for all the exotic blitzes? Do you throw them in anyway, just to stifle people even more? Or do you focus on mixing up your coverages?

Our defense has to stay stout, We don't have the luxury of an offense that can bail out our offense like G. Williams had with Drew Brees down in Nawlins.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Williams has typically been big risk, big reward with his blitzes. How does that change if our front four constantly get pressure without the need for all the exotic blitzes? Do you throw them in anyway, just to stifle people even more? Or do you focus on mixing up your coverages?

Our defense has to stay stout, We don't have the luxury of an offense that can bail out our offense like G. Williams had with Drew Brees down in Nawlins.

I think he will pick his spots with the emphasis on creating turnovers being the main objective. Being able to get sustained pressure from the front is never a bad thing, but there will be opportunities that he will look to take advantage of, with the idea of creating turnovers.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
IMO the best OC's are the guys who can find a rhythm in terms of playcalling deep into the game. Know when to run, know when to pass, know when to call the trick play, know when to adjust the tempo etc...
At times this offense has no rhyme or reason to the play calls. It has gotten better, and i expect it will continue to improve with execution and player continuity.

I agree with the point about getting in a rhythm, and taking advantage of down and distance to exploit defenses. If Schottenheimer has one noticeable flaw in his play calling, its that he has a tendency to get off script and try to "fool" everyone in the stadium with a play call out of left field. And when it doesn't work, he puts himself in a (-) situation in terms of down and distance, and it usually ends up in a three and out.

With the power running game, the best approach is the "kiss" (keep it simple stupid) approach. Establish the run game, gain positive yardage on 1st down, stay in manageable situations on 3rd down, and move the chains. As you get into that rhythm you mentioned, play-action on first down (take shots when they are there) and so on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes you wonder where this team would be if Fisher was permitted to hire him in 2012.

Agreed. Also, I believe this is the most talented defense he has coordinated. Back end is young but the defensive unit as a whole has immense talent.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Greg Williams will turn this defense into what we should have had last year, and much more.

Walton was scared.
Getting after the QB is great and one of the best things a defense can do ..... I just hope we can stop the runequally ... .because in our division, that is just as important.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Getting after the QB is great and one of the best things a defense can do ..... I just hope we can stop the runequally ... .because in our division, that is just as important.

We did last year after the first 4 games. I think we were top ten.

TShram03

UDFA
Great thread.

I am very comfortable with the way this staff aligns with one another and compliments a common core. Jeff Fisher -- the leader -- believes in a core philosophy of physicality and physical dominance. That's the football language he speaks and shares with his staff and players.

His comfort is defense. It's what he knows best within the game.

That comfort tends to push his aggressive practices to that side of the ball. Not the other.

Gregg Williams speaks a "physical" language of football too. He's also very creative in relaying (go ahead and get the pun out here) and implementing that aggressive ethos into his defensive unit. Our personnel has the potential to be scary operating in that type of system. Need some players to take some steps, but the potential is undoubtedly there.

Brian Schottenheimer has the blood of a coach cut from the same cloth in his veins.

"SchottyBall" is a physical brand of offensive football centered around damaging a defense with the run game.

Defense will always be the strength of this team. That's fine. Hi there, rest of NFC West. We can hang, too. While Schottenheimer will never understand how to fight a defense with the pass the way a Mike Martz/Asshole Face does, that's fine too. He's still speaking the same language as Williams/Fisher when he relays that message to his unit.

That manifests itself in an offensive identity that values the football (emphasize control of the ball, turnovers) and tries to beat up the opponent (strong, physical run game). Every once in a while, you try to identify the right time to take the uppercut shot (PA pass, downfield chance, Tavon Austin).

Finally, the St. Louis Rams have a unified message within the football operation. I think it's the same message in the same language as two of the best teams in the league: Seattle and San Francisco. Do the Rams have the talent to manifest what this staff hopes to create on the field?

I don't know yet, but...that day is coming soon.