Gregg Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Just watched America's Game about the 2009 New Orleans Saints. Asshole Face was there for like three years and they played well and made the playoffs but they were all offense. The defense lagged behind. They signed Jonathan Vilma. Then they hired Greg Williams. Payton said he changed the whole attitude of the defense. They went on the attack with a mentality of taking the ball away. Next thing you know, they won the Superbowl. This is looking like the absolute best move Fisher made in the off season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just watched America's Game about the 2009 New Orleans Saints. Asshole Face was there for like three years and they played well and made the playoffs but they were all offense. The defense lagged behind. They signed Jonathan Vilma. Then they hired Greg Williams. Payton said he changed the whole attitude of the defense. They went on the attack with a mentality of taking the ball away. Next thing you know, they won the Superbowl. This is looking like the absolute best move Fisher made in the off season.

I agree.

No other sport taps into the emotional aspect like the NFL. Attitude. Confidence. Momentum.

No question; A guy like Gregg Williams boosts the energy level!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I agree.

No other sport taps into the emotional aspect like the NFL. Attitude. Confidence. Momentum.

No question; A guy like Gregg Williams boosts the energy level!

Yeah he does and I love it, but there's a shelf life to that sort of thing,as the team matures he needs to let the players do more of the attitude motivation while he ramps up the complexity and flexibility of his schemes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Many have posted that the addition of Gregg Williams was the best addition and I am very confident with the addition the Rams have made they will have an upper echelon defense. Now let's hope Brian Schottenheimer can shock us and come up with an offensive scheme that keeps defenses like the 49ers, Seahawks and Cardinals on their heels.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Many have posted that the addition of Gregg Williams was the best addition and I am very confident with the addition the Rams have made they will have an upper echelon defense. Now let's hope Brian Schottenheimer can shock us and come up with an offensive scheme that keeps defenses like the 49ers, Seahawks and Cardinals on their heels.

I agree regarding Williams being the best off season addition.

And my only comment about Schottenheimer, isn't as much about his scheme, as it it about better execution across the board on offense. IMO, there is nothing wrong with his scheme, they just need to execute it better. That includes the WRs running precise routes, the o-line staying healthy, and, minimizing the pre-snap penalties that have plagued this team far too long.

I know it gets beaten to death, but having yet another year in the system, with the majority of skill position players being more comfortable in it, SHOULD equate to improvement. Only time will tell. 19 days and counting til we see it on the field.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And my only comment about Schottenheimer, isn't as much about his scheme, as it it about better execution across the board on offense. IMO, there is nothing wrong with his scheme, they just need to execute it better. That includes the WRs running precise routes, the o-line staying healthy, and, minimizing the pre-snap penalties that have plagued this team far too long.

I know it gets beaten to death, but having yet another year in the system, with the majority of skill position players being more comfortable in it, SHOULD equate to improvement. Only time will tell. 19 days and counting til we see it on the field.

Good points as always, but from one Coach to another...Do you agree that Schotty seems to call the same exact plays when he's in a tough spot? Now I agree you go back to what's working, but at the goal line it seems I've seen the same exact play run time and time again. Now I've seen Schottenheimer more than most being that he was with the Jets, but my hope is that he needs to be a tad more creative and maybe having a lights out running game will improve the play action.

PhxRam

I agree with you that execution determines the success of a play 95% of the time, but would you agree that Schott didnt exactly cater to Austins strengths?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree with you that execution determines the success of a play 95% of the time, but would you agree that Schott didnt exactly cater to Austins strengths?

I never catered my offense to ONE player. For everyone that seems to think that he "needs" to for Austin, IMO, is missing the point. For me, the issue is finding ways WITHIN the system, that Austin can flourish. For all those who think that "learning the system" is confined to just the players, there is just as much of an adjustment period for the coaching staff to learn what each individual player's strengths and weaknesses are.

Fisher eluded to this in his OTA press comments. They now have a much better understanding of what Austin does well, and what areas HE struggles in, (within the offense). I fully expect that they hit the ground running from the start of training camp, and that includes finding ways to get Austin, Quick, Pead, Britt and to a lesser extent Givens into the mix.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good points as always, but from one Coach to another...Do you agree that Schotty seems to call the same exact plays when he's in a tough spot? Now I agree you go back to what's working, but at the goal line it seems I've seen the same exact play run time and time again. Now I've seen Schottenheimer more than most being that he was with the Jets, but my hope is that he needs to be a tad more creative and maybe having a lights out running game will improve the play action.

I don't think the issue is his tendency to call the same plays, as much as it is about the players NOT executing. While I realize the game is so much more advanced with detailed scouting, knowing "tendencies" etc. At the end of the day for me, especially if they are in short yardage and goalline situations, its about beating the man across from you. There are only so many defensive looks you are going to see in these situations, so missing an assignment is inexcusable. While part of that can be attributed to the many injuries on the O-line, but the bottom line, is, execute the play, block YOUR man, and the play will be successful.

I think if he has has one fault in these situations, he tends to outsmart himself by trying to get too cute with his play calls. How often have we seen him throw the ball on 1st and goal, (incomplete), now forcing his hand into throwing on all 3 downs?

And to this point, I recall his success rate in New York to be very good in RedZone %, WHEN they could run the ball. Didn't they finish as high as 2nd in the league one year in RZ %?
(execution vs. play calling)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Listened to Phil Simms talking on Sirius the other day , he said one of their SB years Parcells got tired of pre snap penalties in the red zone so he told them "from now on ALL red zone plays the snap count is two" , they ran it that way the whole year ,no one seemed to catch on.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And to this point, I recall his success rate in New York to be very good in RedZone %, WHEN they could run the ball. Didn't they finish as high as 2nd in the league one year in RZ %?
(execution vs. play calling)

The Jets did and I do expect the Rams to be much better especially with Tre Mason because the one thing I love about that kid is, he's always falling forward. IMO this will be Schottenheimer best offense he's had, Bradford is a bright as it comes from a signal caller standpoint, he just needs to keep Sam up when the chips are down and that is quality that Schottenheimer does posses. His offensive line barring injury should now be a strength and it will fall on Sherman's crew to run the correct routes and block in order for this offense to succeed.

The other issue with Schottenheimer and had this in New York as well, is not stretching the field. The Jets werre rated last in his final year with gains over 20 yards passing the football and the Rams had this issue too last season albeit they were limited with Clemens who could not really throw the deep ball with the exception against the Colts.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Good points by all...I wonder, since Williams was a member of the staff before the bounty-gate scandal exploded, will there be another adjustment period for the defense, or will they just pick up & get running because the same system/scheme has been in place for 2 years?

On Schotty, he is pretty young, son of a pretty good (great?) HC. He needed a lil time, and I expect the offense to look pretty good. I thought Sam looked pretty good, even when he was passing 40+ a game....It's the other pieces that need to raise their game...wow, I said pretty good a lot, huh?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Makes you wonder where this team would be if Fisher was permitted to hire him in 2012.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
The Jets did and I do expect the Rams to be much better especially with Tre Mason because the one thing I love about that kid is, he's always falling forward. IMO this will be Schottenheimer best offense he's had, Bradford is a bright as it comes from a signal caller standpoint, he just needs to keep Sam up when the chips are down and that is quality that Schottenheimer does posses. His offensive line barring injury should now be a strength and it will fall on Sherman's crew to run the correct routes and block in order for this offense to succeed.

The other issue with Schottenheimer and had this in New York as well, is not stretching the field. The Jets werre rated last in his final year with gains over 20 yards passing the football and the Rams had this issue too last season albeit they were limited with Clemens who could not really throw the deep ball with the exception against the Colts.
I don't think the jets ever faced as tough a defence as the Seahawks and the niners twice a season though

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think the jets ever faced as tough a defence as the Seahawks and the niners twice a season though

Agreed so the stats should've been better for Schottenheimer, correct? But as to deep passes they were not and Schotty loved the check downs. Nothing wrong with checking down, but when it's 3rd and 8 and you throw a pass that gained 3 yards, why throw the pass?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

That's the unpopular view because everyone likes to blame the HC/DC/OC for on field performances.

But if we look at how things were going before the 2nd string QB was pressed into service the only real complaints are a spread O being implemented and failing due to players that "couldn't run it" and a couple of WR's that were slow to pick up the playbook when a shift in philosophy/scheme occurred.

I'm hopeful that this year the kinks are worked out when the pre season ends and the real games begin. When the team starts putting up points and putting together long drives later in games to put it away the complaints about BS will fade. And that includes mine LOL.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Makes you wonder where this team would be if Fisher was permitted to hire him in 2012.

IMO the hiatus made Williams a better coach and now more than every, he'll have something to prove. I always loved him as a coach, however, in Buffalo many felt he was too full of him self. I believe bountygate humbled him and he now has a new lease on life. He got himself in much better shape after the suspension proved to be a major difference for the Titans with little power although most of the players attributed their improved to him and now he's home as he put in "Sant Louis" and he's about to showcase a defense that IMO has the makings to be the best defense in Ram history, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Point taken, but that's why you build a defense to face those teams. You don't design an offense solely to face 2 opponents. That being said, if you look at the success this team has had since Fisher got here, against those defenses, overall, I'd say they have a pretty good handle on it.

You don't beat either of those teams throwing the ball 40+ times. They rushed for 300+ yards vs. Seattle LAST YEAR, beat SF in 2012 and should have beaten them both times. Again, with better execution, in the run game & play action passing game, even those two defenses can be beaten.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
QUOTE="LesBaker, post: 342423, member: 471"]That's the unpopular view because everyone likes to blame the HC/DC/OC for on field performances.

But if we look at how things were going before the 2nd string QB was pressed into service the only real complaints are a spread O being implemented and failing due to players that "couldn't run it" and a couple of WR's that were slow to pick up the playbook when a shift in philosophy/scheme occurred.

I'm hopeful that this year the kinks are worked out when the pre season ends and the real games begin. When the team starts putting up points and putting together long drives later in games to put it away the complaints about BS will fade. And that includes mine LOL.[/QUOTE]
I agree with you, except for goal line situations. There is no way an offensive coordinator should call a fade pass from Clemens to Quick. I don't think his goal line play calling was any good last year at all.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Agreed so the stats should've been better for Schottenheimer, correct? But as to deep passes they were not and Schotty loved the check downs. Nothing wrong with checking down, but when it's 3rd and 8 and you throw a pass that gained 3 yards, why throw the pass?

I doubt that his "play call" in most of those situations call for a 3 yard pass, again, at some point its up to the players to execute regardless of the play.

As to "stretching the field, I anticipate they will make a concerted effort of do more of that this year. I do agree, the part of this system that baffles me, at least in what they do NOT do enough of, are the intermediate and deeper crossing routes. The "deep dig" route should be a staple in this offense. With both Britt and Quick and even Bailey running it, they should be a nightmare to opposing defenses.

But those routes also are slow to develop, so having time to run them has not always been a luxury. Hopefully, that will change.