Gregg Williams New Dc?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Which one? I don't care were we get one. We could go to Australia and pick up a guy from rugby union for all I care.

(list is from yahoo sports, list of 2014 FA safeties. - I thought Charles Woodson was retired but whatever.)

Safeties

1. Jairus Byrd
2. T.J. Ward
3. Antoine Bethea
4. Chris Clemens
5. Malcolm Jenkins
6. Stevie Brown
7. Major Wright
8. Nate Allen
9. Charles Woodson
10. Ryan Clark
11. James Ihedigbo
12. Bernard Pollard
13. Donte Whitner
14. Usama Young
15. Kendrick Lewis
16. Mike Adams
17. Michael Mitchell
18. Chris Crocker
19. Yeremiah Bell
20. Quintin Mikell
21. Michael Huff
22. Brandon Meriweather
23. Ryan Mundy
24. Taylor Mays
25. Ed Reed
26. Jim Leonhard
27. Husain Abdullah
28. Darrell Stuckey
29. Sergio Brown
30. Colt Anderson
31. Darian Stewart
32. Craig Steltz
33. Chris Maragos
34. Will Allen
35. Quintin Demps
36. Matt Giordano
37. Reed Doughty
38. Danny McCray
39. Kurt Coleman

40. John Wendling

I've seen Byrd make some incredible picks over the years so he's my favorite. BUT he's gonna be very expensive and the Bills can franchise tag him for around 9 million. So I don't see it happening. One of the top six would be good. I just don't know if we have the money to get one and resign Quinn next year. I say Saffold is gone, though.

Ramifications

Not one worthy of a first round pick. Getting one in free agency would be great.

Hard to say this definitively so early in the scouting process.

If Pryor runs a 4.3 with a 44" VJ, pretty sure he goes in the first. I'm exaggerating, but I am hearing this a lot, but some scouts agree, some don't, far from a consensus. I agree there probably isn't one worthy of an EARLY first (no Berry, Thomas or Barron). Historically, in recent years, 2011 was the last year without a first round safety (Rahim Moore in second?), and Clinton-Dix and Pryor IMO are better than any safety in that class.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
HELL YEAH! Fisher is da man. Top thirteen defense not good enough. Fisher is looking for the top defense in the NFL. Attack the opponent, dictate to the opponent, impose your will on the opponent. I am all for this hire, don't care about bountygate."Big Boy" football, whistle to whistle, our D already has the "swagger" now lets see results. Fuck the seacocks, Fuck the stupid fucking 49'ers and fuck the fucking desert birds!

I almost forgot, Fuck anybody that "dislikes" my fucking language.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I've seen Byrd make some incredible picks over the years so he's my favorite. BUT he's gonna be very expensive and the Bills can franchise tag him for around 9 million. So I don't see it happening. One of the top six would be good. I just don't know if we have the money to get one and resign Quinn next year. I say Saffold is gone, though.

I want to caution you guys who think that a high priced FA Safety could now be in their sights. Per Demoff on more than one occasion, this staff just does not put a high value on the Safety position, especially in terms of spending FA $$$ for over priced talent.

They may/will address the position in a similar way to this past year, and find someone comparable to McDonald. The other thing that keeps being brought up in here, is posters continuing to clamor for a FREE SAFETY. Fisher does not differentiate between the two positions, so that being said, whoever is considered for that other safety spot, will have a similar skillset to what you see in McDonald.

Whether it is McLeod, Cody Davis, Matt Daniels or yet another young draft pick, the one thing that Williams will demand is better tackling.

The one thing that will be interesting to see.... with the complexity of Williams' scheme, is just how much he is able to incorporate with such a young group at Safety.

A55VA6

Legend
There's quite a few safeties in FA that would be an upgrade from Stewart / McLeod. Byrd or Ward would be nice. I also kind of like Major Wright.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
The extra g in his first name stands for "go kill the head", but don't worry I won't tell anybody else.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I want to caution you guys who think that a high priced FA Safety could now be in their sights. Per Demoff on more than one occasion, this staff just does not put a high value on the Safety position, especially in terms of spending FA $$$ for over priced talent.

They may/will address the position in a similar way to this past year, and find someone comparable to McDonald. The other thing that keeps being brought up in here, is posters continuing to clamor for a FREE SAFETY. Fisher does not differentiate between the two positions, so that being said, whoever is considered for that other safety spot, will have a similar skillset to what you see in McDonald.

Whether it is McLeod, Cody Davis, Matt Daniels or yet another young draft pick, the one thing that Williams will demand is better tackling.

The one thing that will be interesting to see.... with the complexity of Williams' scheme, is just how much he is able to incorporate with such a young group at Safety.

Thank you for shedding light on the subject, Coach O. I remember a few weeks ago that I didn't mind sticking with the safeties we had. The Mc's never really hurt us. Our Scheme sucked and our CB's got burned more than they should have. I was combated with arguments that said our CB's had no help over the top so they were prone to getting burnt. The theme became so common I eventually put in on it. In the end I don't believe Snisher is gonna put a premium on a new ball hawk. A CB is considerably bigger need and will addressed high in the draft. We still have a prospect I really like in Cody Davis so I just don't really see the issue. Rams can do alright with what they currently have I can't say the same about CB. I like Jenks and Johnson but we need another.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Thinking Williams got a little promise that he would get a gift or two in the draft to complete this D. FS, CB, OLB

We didn't need to promise anything to anyone. The guy was unemployed. He would be thankful just to get a job.

And besides, Robert Quinn is the best present any D coordinator could hope for.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
L2tb5Wi.jpg
Love it X. :lol:
Borrowed.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
This is some exciting news! We just need a safety to line up next to McDonald and our defense could possibly be in the top 10 next year.

wolfman84

Rookie
If Finnegan is let go, I got to believe a veteran presence will be wanted in the back of our D. I see Chirs Clemons as an affordable option, especially now with the Williams connection. Target Justin Gilbert at 13 to replace Finny as your 3rd Corner and KR.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jeff Fisher & Greg Williams together again....
Houston/Tenn Titans 1994 thru 1996 Fisher HC & GW is the assist DC ST/LB coach
Tenn Titans 1997 thru 2000 Fisher HC & GW is the DC
ST Louis 2014 thru ........ Fisher HC & GW is the DC

GW as the defensive coordinator, the Titans led the league in total defense and only gave up 191 points, the third fewest in the NFL since the league adopted the 16-game schedule in 1978

Seven very successful years together in Tenn. In the January 2000 they came up one yard away from a win.....

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
This is some good shit right here! I'm down with it. Fisher has all his guys back on staff on the D side of the ball. Look for finishing pcs. being brought in to finalize it ... and "some" Offense added in. His #1 goal was/is/always been to win games with power and superb Defense.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If the rams want to have an NFCW title next year, adding a premier CB and FS will be critical. The good news is that the rams can draft the top cb and fs by trading down while acquiring additional picks in 2014.

The secondary has to be upgraded if the rams intend to Win The West

Ramifications

You probably know all this already, but worth expanding on for the thread...

Good point, like we don't use conventional 4-3 designations of WLB and SLB at times, instead RLB and LLB. Usually SLB denotes lining up over the TE, but in our case, we don't shift according to formation. Actually, with some teams lining up two TEs flanked on opposite sides, not sure what strong side would even mean in the context? For practical purposes, some teams might be "right handed" in the run game, in which case, our RLB and LLB might effectively end up in the typical specialized roles which we would usually refer to with weak and strong side designations.

I think Griffin has played SS and FS in TEN (?). The days of David Fulcher and late Roy Williams-type in the box thumpers in run support are largely over and they have become dinosaurs. If they can't cover, OCs will expose them. If safeties are better in coverage but can't tackle in run support, they can be targeted as well. The ideal is interchangeable skill sets. Earl Tomas is the best currently. Polalmalu in his prime could line up anywhere, blitz, in the box, cover. Thomas probably is best as a FS due to his over the top range, though he is tough and can come up in run support, Chancellor is a king-sized SS and basically LB size so great in the box, he can blow up blockers better, but he is fast, athletic and agile and can cover when called upon.

That said, it is hard to find callege safeties that are great at both run support and coverage. Some college safeties that are conventionally designated FS may be better tacklers than others, and SSs better in coverage than others. I'm not sure at his size, Pryor couldn't play both. Cyprien had an interchangeable skill set, I'd say Vaccaro and Reid do. Elam was thought to be replacing Pollard's role as an ostensible SS, but he ended up filling more of a FS role.

The obvious advantage of having two safeties with interchangeable skill sets (like SEA) is that it makes it hard for opposing OCs and game plans to exploit weaknesses in one area or the other, to the extent they don't have any. Also, the defense doesn't need to scheme around weaknesses, so everybody can do their job and cover their area.

IMO, coverage is not as strong a suit with McDonald as run support. If for intance, Clinton-Dix were to drafted, he would be better in coverage than McDonald, and I'm not sure he wouldn't be better in run support to, but that isn't our concern here. In a two deep look, they might have equal run support and coverage responsibilities, not sure if they would move around to have one cover a TE like Vernon Davis? In a one deep look with a single safety over the top (like Thomas is used at times), I think Clinton-Dix (for example, or Pryor) would be more likely to be that safety if he indeed has superior pass coverage instincts and range compared to McDonald.

So while nomenclature may not be that important and safeties are merely designated symmetrically R/L like LB, FUNCTIONALLY, I think the kind of safety that would HISTORICALLY and CONVENTIONALLY be called a FS (like Clinton-Dix or Pryor) based on skill set would be a better complement to McDonald than a (to use a veteran example) Bernard Pollard-type. In that sense, the old definitions could still hold some meaning and usefulness.

But as long as we know what we are talking about (and I mean this to the thread/board), it doesn't matter if we call the safeties the Walrus and the Carpenter or Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wonder what assist DC @ Tenn Titans Greg Williams had to do with the development of top latent talents& skills on pro bowl ex 4th rd pick in 2010 UFA Corner back Alterraun Verner career????If he can do what he was able to do for Verner .....could he do the same for CB's Jenoris Jenkins & Trumaine Johnson??:wink:

Another thought was if we release CF would GW have a positive desire to bring Verner west?

Last edited by a moderator: