Greg Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't know if its the schemes too complicated for the players, the scheme sucks, the players suck, the league hates GW or all of the above. I do know its not working at the moment. So try something different. Play some more Cover 2 or 2 man. I don't care. But if I see another game where we blitz 90% of the fucking time and see it get picked up like we told them exactly what we were gonna run in the huddle then I might just break my tv screen.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Fisher's insistence on employing people he has a history with is biting this team in the arse. From Finnegan to Cook to Williams to Schotty... And so on.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
It isn't just Williams. It's Fisher's inability to coach a team since he's been back in the NFL. He has to be fired after this year. That part sucks but it's true. Clean house on coaches, keep Snead if we can.

How many times do we have to start over? Enough already! Fisher can do this if given time. JMHO

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
i
It isn't just Williams. It's Fisher's inability to coach a team since he's been back in the NFL. He has to be fired after this year. That part sucks but it's true. Clean house on coaches, keep Snead if we can.[/QUOTE

I completely 100% disagree with this. He needs 5 years to turn around the dumpster fire he inherited. This win't fantasy football.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Williams wants to prove that he's the smartest guy in the room and out-thinks himself. I also think he's too aggressive.

This defense doesn't need 6-8 blitzers on nearly every down. Run press coverage on the outside(with some off man and zone) and mix up the coverages with zone and man over the middle to keep the QB on his toes. Bring a 5th blitzer on a decent amount of downs with a 6th blitzer every now and then. Run stunts up-front in obvious passing situations with a blitzer or two thrown in rather than trying to bring the house.

This DL doesn't need you to overload the offense. By doing so, you just open up the middle of the field. Keep our defenders in the middle, saturate it, trust the CBs on the outside who are playing well(aside from Jenkins this week) and let our guys on the DL get it done.

Most of all, though, tell Robert Quinn to stop trying to speed rush on every down. He needs to vary his pass rush moves.

Williams is just not scheming to take advantage of our talent. He's trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
They need to do what they did in 98/99 and tell the coach to fire the offensive coordinator and make other personnel moves or he will be fired. It worked for Vermeil.......maybe it will for Fisher.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I think Williams wants to prove that he's the smartest guy in the room and out-thinks himself. I also think he's too aggressive.

This defense doesn't need 6-8 blitzers on nearly every down. Run press coverage on the outside(with some off man and zone) and mix up the coverages with zone and man over the middle to keep the QB on his toes. Bring a 5th blitzer on a decent amount of downs with a 6th blitzer every now and then. Run stunts up-front in obvious passing situations with a blitzer or two thrown in rather than trying to bring the house.

This DL doesn't need you to overload the offense. By doing so, you just open up the middle of the field. Keep our defenders in the middle, saturate it, trust the CBs on the outside who are playing well(aside from Jenkins this week) and let our guys on the DL get it done.

Most of all, though, tell Robert Quinn to stop trying to speed rush on every down. He needs to vary his pass rush moves.

Williams is just not scheming to take advantage of our talent. He's trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.
So if I read you right, Williams is doing for our defense what Josh McDaniels did for our offense...

I'm scared now...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if I read you right, Williams is doing for our defense what Josh McDaniels did for our offense...

I'm scared now...

Yep. That's exactly what popped in my mind as I read the post. Strictly adhering to his system because he thinks he's the smartest guy around and it's the only system that'll work. Fisher needs to get with him and work on making some changes.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
There were reports that Fisher took over the defense when Walton's system wasn't working. Why can't he do the same with Williams?

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
There were reports that Fisher took over the defense when Walton's system wasn't working. Why can't he do the same with Williams?
There were also reports that Fisher getting involved is the reason for the 10-15 yard cushions from the dbs. You hired the guy to do a job, let him do it.

fearsomefour

Legend

I agree.
It would be one thing if the blitzers were effective and QBs were being terrorized. They are not. The TD at the end of the half will take a long time for me to get over. That is just inane play calling. Beyond the measure of stupidity.
The square peg round hole thing is true....I think that is another way of saying bad coaching.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I would compare Gregg Williams's situation to Sean McDermott's early years with Carolina and tenure with Philly. Both their defenses are complex but once executed, it's a sight to behold. Not trying to back Williams per se but it would be nice if he just simplifies the defense a little by letting 4-man fronts do its job. It would probably be easier to notice holding calls when the LOS isn't stuffed with linemen, linebackers, and some secondary players.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Rams LB James Laurinaitis

(On the defense allowing big plays)
“We have to play the defenses that are called. I sound like a broken record but we have to play what we call. We have to execute the defense. It’s definitely not the scheme. We just have to execute. That’s all I can really say. We have the guys in here and the guys know it, but for some reason we aren’t putting together full games and until we do that we are going to keep getting the same results. Teams are too good to not do what you need to do every single time. We just have to execute.”

This tells me certain players aren't grasping this defense. GW has been known for complicated defenses. Obviously our guys are still thinking out there instead of just playing. Maybe it's time to simplify things, Greg.

This tells me that Laurinaitis would fall on his sword for the TEAM if asked to, which he evidently has been asked to by one grossly incompetent defensive coordinator.

BadCompany

Rookie
I'm not big on the conspiracy theories, but I can't help but wonder if this is just a by-product of Bountygate. I'm not saying that the league has instructed it's referees to punish Williams by not giving him the calls, but let's face it Bountygate was a huge embarrassment not only for the league, but for the referees who's main job is to ensure the safety of the players and call a clean game. Williams placing bounties on other players is essentially a giant F-U to the referee's union, a statement that he doesn't believe they can control him or his team, and that he is in effect "above the law". Sort of like saying "yes I know you are supposed to protect the players, but I don't think you are competent enough so I'm going to encourage my players to go nuts, because I don't think you have the balls to do anything about it." I mean, it's right there on Wikipedia, for all the world to see:

Saints players allegedly earned bonuses for inflicting injuries on opposing players that forced them to leave games; however, none of the hits in question were ever penalized or deemed illegal by in-game officials.

That's got to be pretty embarrassing to a group of professional referees, no? A pretty damning indictment of how Williams really sees them? I cannot imagine that he is well regarded within the referee union. I also believe that referees prepare for games just like any player would, they know who is on which team, the reputations of the players, the reputations of the coaches. They know who is difficult, who is borderline, and who is just outright psychotic. You don't think they keep a closer eye on Ndamukong Suh? Now couple that with a coach in Fisher who advocates smash-mouth football, who has always had teams that are at the top of the league in penalties, and a group of guys who love to trash-talk and pull stunts like Ray-Ray did, or even Olgetree throwing the ball at a prone player, and well it's no wonder we don't get any calls. The refs have an inherent bias against us, and are looking for US to be the ones initiating things, not the other way around. THEY get the benefit of the doubt, we, because of Williams and his history (and Fisher's to a lesser extent) just do not.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There were also reports that Fisher getting involved is the reason for the 10-15 yard cushions from the dbs. You hired the guy to do a job, let him do it.

Up to a point, I agree with you. But the buck stops with Fisher, not with Williams.

Fisher has to give Williams a chance to implement his scheme and make it successful. But at some point, if there is no evidence that it's going to eventually work, he has to step in and order some changes.