Greg Robinson to the right side?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The only sense I can make of the unusual, out of the box move is that they want him to fail.

He pretty much sucked on the left side, how do they expect him to excel on the right?

It makes much more sense to me to have Robinson play Left Guard and play Saffold on the right.

Maybe this is some attempt to have the game-day active swing Tackle and swing Guard?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He pretty much sucked on the left side, how do they expect him to excel on the right?
We just cut the biggest weak link of the line....Greg is going to replace the other big weak link of 2016. LT's typically are move to the right side and find the responsibilities much easier to manage. He still has elite skills, much better than anyone on the Rams not named Whitworth. I think he'll do well under much better coaching.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think all things are up in the air with a new OL coach taking over an underperforming line. Only set position is LT. Also I figure Havenstein will win the RT job, because even though he's not as talented as Robinson he is going to work his butt off and take to the coaching. I also think Brown will win a starting OG position because he is probably our most talented OL not named Robinson.

Saffold will be phased out under this staff IMO. They're not going to cut him this year, but he'll probably start at one of the OG positions, preferably RG. This would pair a vet with a young guy on each side of the line:

LT Whitworth
LG Brown
C ??? Donnal
RG Saffold
RT Havenstein

Hopefully Robinson shows enough to earn that role as first guy off the bench, but I'm skeptical about it, we'll see. Center will be the biggest single question for Kromer, and will be conversion projects (guessing Wichmann and Donnal) going up against the Center I hope they draft. Got Donnal in there as a guess at this point, until I see which guy they draft.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Robinson is still VERY young. Why wouldn't the new staff want to spend some time with him, in an attempt to take advantage of his incredible talent.
I'm excited to see what Kromer can get out of our young group of olinemen.
Taking the starting LT job away from Grob and sending Barnes on his way speaks volumes that this staff isn't going to settle for underachievement.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We just cut the biggest weak link of the line....Greg is going to replace the other big weak link of 2016. LT's typically are move to the right side and find the responsibilities much easier to manage. He still has elite skills, much better than anyone on the Rams not named Whitworth. I think he'll do well under much better coaching.

Other Weak Link? Havenstein was injured last season but had a good year in 2015

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I'm cutting Hav a mile of slack due to injury in '16, Champ.

But Fisher/Boudreau played him anyway. Sheesh. Practically a one legged RT. What could possibly go wrong? Lol.

GRob is in a one year "prove it" situation. Somehow, he's gotta beat out either Brown or Hav on the right side. Not sure he has what it takes between the ears.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe every position on the OL, except for LT, is up for grabs and the best players that emerge in TC will be the starters.

There's going to be some surprises

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think all things are up in the air with a new OL coach taking over an underperforming line. Only set position is LT. Also I figure Havenstein will win the RT job, because even though he's not as talented as Robinson he is going to work his butt off and take to the coaching. I also think Brown will win a starting OG position because he is probably our most talented OL not named Robinson.

Saffold will be phased out under this staff IMO. They're not going to cut him this year, but he'll probably start at one of the OG positions, preferably RG. This would pair a vet with a young guy on each side of the line:

LT Whitworth
LG Brown
C ??? Donnal
RG Saffold
RT Havenstein

Hopefully Robinson shows enough to earn that role as first guy off the bench, but I'm skeptical about it, we'll see. Center will be the biggest single question for Kromer, and will be conversion projects (guessing Wichmann and Donnal) going up against the Center I hope they draft. Got Donnal in there as a guess at this point, until I see which guy they draft.

Don't agree at all !!

Will see in a couple weeks how things are going to start to pan out ??

I'll take McVay at face value right now.
From what I've seen from RHav is being an excellent bulldozer who can get down field. He has a had trouble securing the edge. The only thing that saved him was his reach. After his foot injury he was never quite the same.

Greg Robinson has excellent talent. I don't think The Rams will want him to just walk. Playing RT will bring his cost down. Learning from one of the best is only going to help. Greg Tobinson has a lot to prove & has a big heart. He takes the doubters seriously . He will be out to prove fans wrong. Saffold will be good at pulling & will enjoy playing along side the veteran O'lineman. He thinks he is a student of the game. Will see hat Roger is really about having a secure spot this season .
As far as center , it has yet to be determined. I'm sure The Rams have a plan A,B,C, & D ready before, during & after the draft.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I don't get this talk of Robinson to RT. And i know that's something that's come from the Rams themselves.

Hav was excellent in his rookie year so no reason to believe he won't go back to that level when free from injury.

Put GRob at guard and see how he does.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But I say Robinson sucked on the left side I definitely was referring to LT.

I also think there's no way he is a better right tackle than Havenstein.
Havenstein missed of camp and never looked fully healed up.

I think that Robinson could be a decent Guard but for heaven's sake start him out on the left side where he's used to playing.

I think the right side is too big of a transition for the guy judging by the evidence.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It makes much more sense to me to have Robinson play Left Guard and play Saffold on the right.
This is what I've been saying for a long time. It makes the most sense to me! Saffold was at his best as RG!(y)

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Other Weak Link? Havenstein was injured last season but had a good year in 2015
Your 100% correct Elm and Hav proved he could play in this league while what has GRob shown? That he sucks and his brain is to slow for the NFL. If Hav is fully recovered and can stay relatively healthy he locks down the RT spot, GRob won't have a chance.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is what I've been saying for a long time. It makes the most sense to me! Saffold was at his best as RG!(y)

That was true a couple years ago, not last year. I don't know what our starting OL will look like at mid-season, but believe on day 1 it will be :

LT - Whitworth
LG - Saffold
C - ?
RG - Robinson
RT - Havenstein

Saffold's CAP # for 2018 makes him an easy target as a CAP casualty, if Brown, Donnal or Wichmann look solid as reserves in 2017, one is likely to be Saffold's replacement next season. One of the three may also become a starting center, at the least our # 2 center. Robinson is in his contract year, if he performs well at RG, he'll be offered another contract, ... if not, he faces a similar fate to that of Saffold. This years draft will be telling, if the Rams draft an OG high then i'm worried about managements confidence in Brown, Donnal & Wichmann, if we aim to draft an OG and Center, other positions will suffer as several other team units suffer depth issues. If we can't find a suitable free agent Center this pre-season, there will be little doubt about where our first OL pick will go, and hopefully we also develop one of our reserve OG's into a solid competitor with the draftee for the starting role. Robinson needs to start at RG, and he needs to do well, not only for himself, but for the team as a whole. jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm cutting Hav a mile of slack due to injury in '16, Champ.............GRob is in a one year "prove it" situation. Somehow, he's gotta beat out either Brown or Hav on the right side. Not sure he has what it takes between the ears.
Well 43, I'm cutting G-Rob a mile of slack because he was coached by boudreau....and NEVER has missed a game due to injury. Remember his injured toe? No one was cutting G-Rob slack then either.

I also think there's no way he is a better right tackle than Havenstein.
Havenstein missed of camp and never looked fully healed up.
G-Rob, for all his issues, performed BETTER than Havenstein in 2016. but that's not saying much.

Perhaps my judgement on Havenstein is the belief that he was over drafted...and I never saw him as some stone-walling RT....I see a slow guy, without much power, that's getting our QB killed....WAY MORE than GREG ROBINSON. Dude was getting ran over...and ran by. To me, he's just as much as liability/cut-bait as Barnes. I'd see what Williams and Donnall offer. I can't believe the guy can only play one position, and everyone thinks we NEED him?

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The only sense I can make of the unusual, out of the box move is that they want him to fail.

Maybe this is some attempt to have the game-day active swing Tackle and swing Guard?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

The right tackle instead of guard puzzles me, but I certainly can't see any way the do it because they wsnt him to fail...If they''re that unhappy , they will just cut him, not waste vsluable time somebody else could be using to improve themsrlves...

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
This is how I'd line them up, Robinson played decent at LG as a Rookie, and he can learn from the guy to his left.
Saffold played his best at RG and he can help Havenstein.
The only question would be center.

LT Whitworth
LG Robinson
C ? Brown ?
RG Saffold
RT Havenstein

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Hm maybe my info is old/bad, but last I heard Grob said he didn't want to play guard, and McVay's quote suggested Grob would be tried at RT while they would see if Hav could play guard.

"Right now, the plan is Andrew's going to be our left tackle, and we'll give Greg an opportunity to play on the right side," McVay said. "I think that'll be a good opportunity for Greg to go to that right side, and we'll see how (Rob) Havenstein is able to do if we allow him to play guard and tackle."
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/los_angeles_rams_reveal_plan_f.html

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Rams Oline sucked before the debacle known as the Fisher years began.
I remember all that was written about Boudreau. How he could take 6th rounders and make them Probowlers, etc. etc.
I am not sure exactly what happened, but I do know that it never worked.
I think have will be a very good RT (if healthy).
I think GRob could be a great G (I hope).
I do know that I base very little fate in the ability of the last O coaching regime to get the best out of the players they had.
I do think that the decisions made by the new staff will be better regarding the Oline for sure. (how could they be worse).
I sure hope I am right, because if the Oline does not improve, the Rams will be mediocre at best