Greg Robinson still working to catch up/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Greg Robinson still working to catch up
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/10970/greg-robinson-still-working-to-catch-up

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Rookie offensive lineman Greg Robinson has been very open about the difficulties of adjusting to the NFL.

The St. Louis Rams haven't made that adjustment any easier on him as they've tried to balance getting him plenty of work at his projected long-term spot (left tackle) and where they initially projected him for 2014 (left guard).

With one preseason game remaining and the start of the regular season coming next week, Robinson's status as the projected starter at left guard appears uncertain.

After starting the first two preseason games, one at each position, Robinson didn't start against Cleveland last week. He did play a team-high 58 snaps at left guard. Robinson said Tuesday he doesn't have a "steady position."

"They said I’ve been making too many mistakes and the real bullets are about to start flying," Robinson said. "What I think about that is it’s not how you start, it’s about how you finish. You never know what happens and when my opportunity presents itself I pray that I’m going to be ready."

Beyond prayer, it would probably benefit Robinson to get a chance to work more exclusively at one spot or the other, particularly at guard. But that has been a process made more complicated by various injuries to others on the offensive line.

Left tackle Jake Long is still working his way back from knee surgery and clearly has plenty of rust to knock off before the season starts. Rodger Saffold dealt with a stinger in his shoulder that kept him out for a spell. Those ailments have left Robinson working in a sort of de facto utility man role for most of camp.

According to Robinson, moving between the two positions is no longer a struggle in terms of understanding the offense so much as it is about fundamentals. Offensive line coach Paul Boudreau points to hand usage, in particular, as the biggest change in technique, something he's seen before including with former Rams (then 49ers) lineman Harvey Dahl before he coached him in Atlanta.

"If you put a tackle in at guard, they learn to use their hands a lot better than when they play tackle," Boudreau said. "Tackle you can leave your hands down by your side for a while. Orlando (Pace) used to come out and never use his left hand until he had to. At guard, they’re on you right now, you better use your hands so in the long run it’s going to help him use his hands faster, a lot better and more efficient."

Beyond his hands and growing accustomed to the phone booth sized space that accompanies playing guard, Robinson has other areas he's working to adjust.

"It’s all about alignment and assignment, getting off on the snap count and taking proper steps so you really can’t miss a beat, no false steps," Robinson said. "Those guys are trying to prepare me for the up-tempo and just helping me understand it’s a little bit faster and I have to think faster and on my feet."

Earlier in camp, Boudreau related a story of Rams lineman Barrett Jones stopping Robinson and telling him that nothing comes easy in adjusting to the NFL. Jones essentially took a redshirt as a rookie while recovering from a foot injury and trying to catch up with all that goes into the NFL.

"He told Greg that last year was the worst year of his career," Boudreau said. "It’s new, you’re in the NFL, it’s a different speed, whole different deal. You’re coming in and you’re a freshman all over again so the one thing about him is day to day you see something a little bit better than the day before. That’s all I’m looking for right now. It’s baby steps."

Coach Jeff Fisher has downplayed Robinson's coming off the bench but for now Saffold is handling left guard duties with Davin Joseph on the right while Robinson works to catch up. Whether that will happen in time to reach opening day as the starter remains to be seen.

In the meantime, Robinson acknowledges that it would be beneficial to settle in at one spot but understands why he hasn't.

"It would be in my opinion but I’m just doing whatever the coaches ask of me because who says I’m going to just playing tackle?" Robinson said. "What if a guard goes down and I have to play guard and if a tackle goes down, I’d have to play tackle. So I’m just playing my role and just being there for the team."

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sounds like Robinson is now a backup.

Wish they would have been able to plug him in at guard and let him master it.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Well this is a buzzkill. Hopefully he actually grows from this. Drafting a guy second overall to be a backup is very concerning.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"What if a guard goes down and I have to play guard and if a tackle goes down, I’d have to play tackle. So I’m just playing my role and just being there for the team."
Good. Keep doing that. I'd rather this dude be able to cover two spots in the event of injury. What good is a backup tackle who can't play guard, or a backup guard who can't play tackle? Sooner or later he'll be the starting LT, but I like the idea of him being able to give this team that kind of flexibility until then. The learning curve is harder, but if that's what the job requires, then knuckle down.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I watched Jake Matthews struggle in his last game. It's an adjustment, and we have some pretty good players up there. He's learning, and he will get better, and better, etc. We need him for both positions, we really do, even if it has slowed his curve a little.

Athos

Legend
Hope he gets his feet wet in a positive way soon. More reliant on the run game than ever now. Hopefully he'll do that well and soon.

Irish

Starter
Robinson's inability to start on day 1 of his rookie year does not a bust make.

Robinson's inability to start at left tackle in 3 years, however, does

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yup give the guy time. Its good that we got Davin Joseph in though. Excellent off season acquisition.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No former Pro Bowler Davin Joseph. Robinson starts.

That said, has Joseph really looked that good to anyone?
Or it is that his experience has allowed for far fewer mental mistakes?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
This isn't about WEEK ONE of his rookie season. Think big picture and long term here. This kid is special. But not if he isn't playing at full speed.

V3

Hall of Fame
This isn't about WEEK ONE of his rookie season. Think big picture and long term here. This kid is special. But not if he isn't playing at full speed.
He's shown he's special at run blocking. Not pass blocking. No one knows if he'll figure that out.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Special is the right word. I think everyone will be pleased with this pick, and I think sooner than later. I saw him just toss another guy this week with his brute strength, and make a nice combo block. He had some miscues too, but so did every offensive lineman.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
True...just making the point that not everyone starts immediately.
I hear ya. I'm not really worried about him not starting either. He's behind the curve because of learning two positions, and that's not something that even Orlando Pace had to deal with, so it's all good. And welcome to the board if I haven't already said so. (y)