Greg Robinson still awaiting his opportunity --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Myself, when I criticize a player in general, and I'll gladly admit that I was wrong about Austin Davis, I do so based on my expectations of that player within our system. I hope I'm wrong about Tavon Austin.

See, I just don't see how you can criticize a player without at least having your own expectation about that player.

My point was that it was silly not to have an expectation based on the possibility of injury, the world ending, aliens invading, or any other factor.
But I wasn't criticizing Robinson. I was merely stating his "absolute worst case" isn't solid starter, which is also not the case for every drafted player ever.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
But I wasn't criticizing Robinson. I was merely stating his "absolute worst case" isn't solid starter, which is also not the case for every drafted player ever.
It's very disturbing and gets moreso with every week... especially since Joseph isn't outplaying anyone.
I would call that criticism. And I would like to iterate that Joseph has, in fact outplayed 3 players who have practiced at that position.

Considering the overall success of our offense this year, Joseph is not as bad as people make him out to be, and Robinson's lack of playing time isn't a reason to hit any panic button ... yet. Now, if he's not starting on the offensive line somewhere next season, I'll share your concern.

But for now, judging by the fact that he's practicing at both tackle and guard, my guess is that Fisher is using him as a backup to both starters, at which point, I'm sure the offense could change depending a lot on the defense they face, but I'm thinking that they like the balance they can throw at defenses now, and I don't blame the coach or coordinator for that decision.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
And Zach Martin has been absolutely dominant.

Quick is not GROB at all. 33rd player vs #2 overall.

The higher the pick the better player you should be.... do you have to be dominant out the gate ? no

but i would sincerely hope that you wouldn't be dead last in snaps among first rounders that weren't qbs

Let's put this in Fisher/Snead terms. The higher the pick, the higher your ceiling. immediate impact doesn't exist in their vocab.

inb4 Aaron Donald - he has had some impact, but he should be starting by now.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
mathews,martin or watkins would not be starting on this team either that is not what fisher does its that simple.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I would call that criticism. And I would like to iterate that Joseph has, in fact outplayed 3 players who have practiced at that position.

Considering the overall success of our offense this year, Joseph is not as bad as people make him out to be, and Robinson's lack of playing time isn't a reason to hit any panic button ... yet. Now, if he's not starting on the offensive line somewhere next season, I'll share your concern.

But for now, judging by the fact that he's practicing at both tackle and guard, my guess is that Fisher is using him as a backup to both starters, at which point, I'm sure the offense could change depending a lot on the defense they face, but I'm thinking that they like the balance they can throw at defenses now, and I don't blame the coach or coordinator for that decision.
I'd call that concern rather than criticism, since I don't understand precisely WHY he's not starting, and the reason may very well have nothing to do with him. I'm not panicking over it yet... but as I said in another thread I'm not sure if there has been another top 5 pick who has rode the pine for the first 4 games.

Joseph being better than our backups doesn't mean he's not as bad as people make him out to be. He's better than me at OG too, but that's not saying much. ;) By PFF's grade, he's been awful.

If it IS just a matter of Fisher doesn't start rookies, that's of course no knock on G-Rob, but it's a huge one on Fisher.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Getting more and more duplicate posts lately... even when I reload before posting to see if my post posted or not...

Really would love the ability to delete our own posts...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
GROB will start eventually and that will help our line big time if the move Safford back to RG. Then all we need is a good young center and a future RG for when GROB eventually takes over LT down the road. And depth, lots of depth.

I'm not worried about it, but wish we had better options than Wells and Joseph right now.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yep, also if he's still struggling, why are they still trying to get him to learn two positions at once?
If he's struggling, simplify things and reduce his learning curve down to one position.

iced

mathews,martin or watkins would not be starting on this team either that is not what fisher does its that simple.

sincerely doubt that with the level of play from joseph - and fisher has started rookies plenty of times... numerous examples, including janoris jenkins

ShaneFalco

team is 1 -4 can he start yet? or we still waiting for joseph and co to lead us to the playoffs?

Athos

Legend
Robinson needs to get in there, he cant be any worse than Joseph...

That's all that needs to be said. Put him in there to bully guys on running plays. If he can't...then shit.

Then again....OL drafted in the top 10 lately, haven't exactly paid off.

J. Matthews? Mediocre play.
Fisher and Joeckel last year? Either injured, ineffective, or playing poorly.
Lane Johnson? Got suspended for PEDs.

Matt Kalil? Shaky.

Tyron Smith? The ONLY legit top 10 OL taken since 2011 that's pretty much played like a stud since the day he was drafted. Then you have 2010 which had T. Williams and Okung.

V3

Hall of Fame
If that's true, then why are Donald and Joyner playing so much?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Play GRob. I mean how long can it take to teach him to whiff on blocks and get caught holding like the rest of the line?
Oh, and are the other young linemen on three year plans like Quick was as well?

RamsesIII

UDFA
It's always been in the back of my mind that Fisher was holding back on Robinson & Donald until the 49ers + Seattle games. We'll see.