Greg Robinson still awaiting his opportunity --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
As a guy who was rather hoping for Matthews, I'm just not worried about Robinson. To me, this is still a good pick.

Obviously, the absolute worst case scenario is we have another guard that can fill in at tackle in a pinch. Okay, sure a little expensive in draft capital for that role, but hardly a bust, and I think even the lowest realistic expectations have him starting at right tackle at the very least.

So he's not on the field now ... is Joseph really that bad that we have to rush a rookie into the starting line up? I just don't see the need to panic.

Oh well, just my take. I'm actually hoping that we spend another pick on the offensive line in one of the earlier rounds again next year.

And regardless of where that player was drafted, I would rather hope we wouldn't be forced to start him. Of course, same goes with the linebacker position.

V3

Hall of Fame
If they wanted, the Rams could easily plug Robinson in at left guard and kick Saffold over to right guard in place of Joseph. Or, barring that, they could at least get Robinson in the game as part of a rotation, something they were willing to do last year at times.
This is what I'm banging my head against the wall about. Joseph has not been good. Is Robinson really worse than Joseph? If so, that has me concerned. I wasn't really all too concerned before but after seeing how Joseph has been playing, I'm starting to wonder.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
i think some are missing the point here. its not about GRob its about fisher. he does this every year he will not put a rookie in if he doesnt have to. he tries to build there confidence up and then works them in. he will not throw them in the fire and say lets see what happens. im with coach o on this lets see what happens Monday i just have a feeling. JMO.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Obviously, the absolute worst case scenario is we have another guard that can fill in at tackle in a pinch. Okay, sure a little expensive in draft capital for that role, but hardly a bust, and I think even the lowest realistic expectations have him starting at right tackle at the very least.

The absolute worst case scenario is him continuing to not play at all for whatever reason, or playing and getting injured.

The idea that we were guaranteed at least a solid starter in picking GRob had me facepalming ever since we first started talking about the draft.

That said, he's a Ram now, I wish for the best, and it's about how he finishes, not how he starts... but I'm not sure I remember another top 5 pick who was on the bench for the first 4 games of his career. It's very disturbing and gets moreso with every week... especially since Joseph isn't outplaying anyone.

Rams0307

To the people who keep saying we should've drafted Matthews instead of Robinson, Matthews has been downright bad this season so far. In fact, PFF has him rated 64 out of 67 tackles. Who knows who will turn out better in the long run, but for now, it's not like Matthews is tearing it up.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
The absolute worst case scenario is him continuing to not play at all for whatever reason, or playing and getting injured.

The idea that we were guaranteed at least a solid starter in picking GRob had me facepalming ever since we first started talking about the draft.

That said, he's a Ram now, I wish for the best, and it's about how he finishes, not how he starts... but I'm not sure I remember another top 5 pick who was on the bench for the first 4 games of his career. It's very disturbing and gets moreso with every week... especially since Joseph isn't outplaying anyone.
Your expectation is considerably lower than mine, and I do not consider it realistic at all. You can't evaluate a rookie in his first year.

And Joseph certainly has outplayed all three of Jones, Person (who I believe also got reps at guard) and Robinson. So there is that.

This isn't a Tavon Austin scenario where you can't figure out where he honestly fits in. He fits in on this team and he will be effective.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
To the people who keep saying we should've drafted Matthews instead of Robinson, Matthews has been downright bad this season so far. In fact, PFF has him rated 64 out of 67 tackles. Who knows who will turn out better in the long run, but for now, it's not like Matthews is tearing it up.
And Watkins' value would have been really limited here with the QB situation...

...looking more and more like a no-win scenario at least early on. Hopefully results will be better later.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Your expectation is considerably lower than mine, and I do not consider it realistic at all. You can't evaluate a rookie in his first year.

I wasn't talking about *realistic* expectations of what he will be... but rather the "absolute worst case scenario" thing. There has never been any draft pick where the absolute worst case scenario has been anything other than "makes no impact whatsoever."

Now, if you want to qualify such a statement with "assuming he doesn't get hurt" (a danger for any player even if there's no red flags there", that's certainly a different story... but there's a reason why the draft is often referred to as a crapshoot.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I wasn't talking about *realistic* expectations of what he will be... but rather the "absolute worst case scenario" thing. There has never been any draft pick where the absolute worst case scenario has been anything other than "makes no impact whatsoever."

Now, if you want to qualify such a statement with "assuming he doesn't get hurt" (a danger for any player even if there's no red flags there", that's certainly a different story... but there's a reason why the draft is often referred to as a crapshoot.
Hey, if you want to call him a bust now ... do it. Air it out for all to see.

I'm going to say he'll work out well for the Rams in the long run.

We'll see who's expectations are closer to reality.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Of all our draft picks, Gaines and Joyner are the only ones who have seen sugnificant time. That's pretty wild. Watts has got some time, too, an UDFA.

iced

Xavier Su'a-Filo is getting abused tonight in his first action w the Texans.

Not that that has anything to do w this - but it's true.

I want to see G Rob play so badly - but I can be patient if I absolutely have to be.

After all, Brian Quick.

And Zach Martin has been absolutely dominant.

Quick is not GROB at all. 33rd player vs #2 overall.

The higher the pick the better player you should be.... do you have to be dominant out the gate ? no

but i would sincerely hope that you wouldn't be dead last in snaps among first rounders that weren't qbs

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Hey, if you want to call him a bust now ... do it. Air it out for all to see.

I'm going to say he'll work out well for the Rams in the long run.

We'll see who's expectations are closer to reality.
But... I'm not calling him a bust.

I am simply saying that there is no such thing as ANY player whose "absolute worst case scenario" is failure to contribute in any meaningful way. I'm not sure why you're reading into that. I mean it completely at face value.

If Robinson doesn't get injured, it's very likely he'll contribute in some form or other. But I am very concerned as the weeks go on about his inability to crack this starting lineup.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
But... I'm not calling him a bust.

I am simply saying that there is no such thing as ANY player whose "absolute worst case scenario" is failure to contribute in any meaningful way. I'm not sure why you're reading into that. I mean it completely at face value.

If Robinson doesn't get injured, it's very likely he'll contribute in some form or other. But I am very concerned as the weeks go on about his inability to crack this starting lineup.
So would you state your honest expectation based on that concern? You may find that we actually agree.

If not, I'm done because I've no interest in arguing whether or not the next super volcano sends this planet into it's next ice age before Greg Robinson realizes his potential with the Rams.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
So would you state your honest expectation based on that concern? You may find that we actually agree.
I don't know. As I said, I hope for the best because he's a Ram, but his rawness was a big concern to me before they picked him, and not playing him is really raising all sorts of alarm bells. But it's all about where you finish, not where you start. He needs to get in there soon though.

If not, I'm done because I've no interest in arguing whether or not the next super volcano sends this planet into it's next ice age before Greg Robinson realizes his potential with the Rams.
And with that, I'M done... because equating that kind of nonsense to the odds of him being injured or otherwise not being able to contribute is just plain silly.

All I was ever after with this was stating what should be the obvious truth: That there is no such thing as any player in the draft whose "absolute worst case scenario" is anything but zero contribution. I don't THINK or HOPE that's the case with Robinson though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I have not watched Matthews play but PFF stats have proven to night meet the eye test in the past and have no credibility in my book.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And it's not surprising that Matthews may be struggling.

However, he is gaining valuable actual playing time.

In my mind, he's 4 games ahead of Robinson.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't know.
Myself, when I criticize a player in general, and I'll gladly admit that I was wrong about Austin Davis, I do so based on my expectations of that player within our system. I hope I'm wrong about Tavon Austin.

See, I just don't see how you can criticize a player without at least having your own expectation about that player.

My point was that it was silly not to have an expectation based on the possibility of injury, the world ending, aliens invading, or any other factor.