Greg Robinson slims down

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Actually, 319 #'s is a great weight for a guy his size. He isn't as tall as the rest of our OL. being 6'5", 319 will fit him better at the LT position. His kick steps and slides should be quicker and smoother for him.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
You can tell some guys in the NFL are artificially larger and some are just naturally large men. I think Havenstein and Robinson are the naturally large type.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can tell some guys in the NFL are artificially larger and some are just naturally large men. I think Havenstein and Robinson are the naturally large type.

Please. The technical term for Havenstein and Robinson is "Huge honking mofos".

RamBill

Legend
Rams' Robinson making progress this offseason
By Nate Latsch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/rams/story/1552803-rams-robinson-making-progress-this-offseason

ST. LOUIS — The transition from college to the NFL has included several adjustments for Rams’ left tackle Greg Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 Draft. Now he’s faced with another.

A year ago, Robinson was working on the transition from playing left tackle in Auburn’s run-heavy offensive scheme to learning two positions — left guard and left tackle — in the Rams’ more diverse offensive system. After starting out last season on the bench, he was inserted into the lineup at left guard but then moved to left tackle after Jake Long’s season-ending knee injury.

On Friday, following the Rams’ third OTA session, Robinson said bouncing back and forth between the positions was the biggest adjustment for him in the transition to the NFL.

“I think a lot had to do with me going back and forth from guard to tackle, so right now it’s just dominantly tackle and I can focus on learning the playbook and just one position,” he said.

Now entrenched at the left tackle spot, the 22-year-old has suddenly found himself as one of the veterans on a Rams’ offensive line that has six rookies on the roster this offseason and could have two in the starting lineup in a few months.

“It’s kind of shocking just to see that, because there’s a lot of guys that was in my position last year,” Robinson said.

The Rams, who will have three new starters on the offensive line in 2015, used four draft picks to select linemen.

They picked Wisconsin right tackle Rob Havenstein in the second round, Louisville lineman Jamon Brown in the third, Iowa’s Andrew Donnal in the fourth and then Fresno State guard Cody Wichmann in the sixth.

They’ve since signed tackle Darrell Williams of South Florida and center-guard David Wang of Virginia Tech as undrafted free agents.

Now Robinson, a veteran of just 16 NFL games and 12 starts, is one of the players being asked the questions by the rookies in the offensive line room at Rams Park.

“Yeah, and surprisingly I can talk to them about it a little bit,” he said.

Robinson said Friday he has trimmed down from being as high as 339 pounds to now at 319 pounds, a strategy that he hopes will make him quicker next season. The weight loss also should help in his recovery from a turf toe injury he suffered in the final game last season and required surgery.

“Unfortunately it was the last game, but I feel like I’m making progress every day,” he said. “They don’t really want me rushing it, so I’m just going with whatever the coaches say and just trying to stay locked in and pay attention as much as possible.”

His surgery has allowed him to rehab at Rams Park this offseason, which has included spending more time with guard Rodger Saffold. Robinson said the two have worked out together and been watching film together, something that should help the youngster this season.

There’s also the adjustment of learning a new or at least slightly different offense after Frank Cignetti took over as offensive coordinator following the departure of Brian Schottenheimer.

Just one year removed from the draft, Robinson feels like he is making progress in his development as an NFL offensive tackle.

“I feel like the game has slowed down a little bit for me just by me going in through the walk-throughs and getting off on the snap counts and stuff,” he said. “I haven’t been making as many mistakes as I was last year, so I think the main focus was just to get in the playbook and try my best to pay attention as much as possible just so I won’t be thinking as much on the line.”

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
His surgery has allowed him to rehab at Rams Park this offseason, which has included spending more time with guard Rodger Saffold. Robinson said the two have worked out together and been watching film together, something that should help the youngster this season.
Nice. Good stuff.