Greg Robinson Says He’s Where He Belongs at Tackle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Greg Robinson Says He’s Where He Belongs at Tackle
by: Luke Schnake

http://www.101sports.com/2015/08/17/rams-tackle-greg-robinson-says-hes-back-belongs/

Sometimes, a little consistency goes a long way. That’s what the Rams are hoping for in 2015 with Greg Robinson at tackle.

The 2014 No. 2 overall pick came out of Auburn with an offensive attack containing a limited amount of plays. The program emphasized the running attack, which limited Robinson’s looks in his two-year college career.

“It’s well documented. (Auburn) had about six plays.” Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau said. “They had two slide protections, they had four runs, and two of the runs he didn’t block any because it was a read-zone.”

Furthering complications for Robinson was the fact the Rams moved him to guard at the pro level.

The rookie was learning a new position on top of learning to be an NFL pass blocker.

“It was all new to him.” Boudreau added. “He had to start from scratch and we had him at guard and it was probably a disservice to him, but the good thing was he learned how to use his hands better because he was at guard.”

Last week, Robinson told the AP he dreaded playing guard last season. It’s easy to understand why an undeveloped rookie could have some hiccups with the amount of information Robinson was taking on at the time.

The Rams had faith Robinson could adapt and held him back from making his first start at guard until week five. He’ll be starting week one this season at tackle and Boudreau said he sees quite a difference in acumen compared to last season, partly due to Robinson’s offseason toe injury.

“It’s like night and day. And usually the biggest transition for a lineman is between their first year and their second year.” Boudreau said. “The offseason is invaluable because you can’t see them until April anymore, but the fact that he was injured, he was here every day and he was watching tape and it was really good for him because he was in the building.”

Robinson says he’s feeling more at ease knowing he’ll be starting at his preferred position.

Starting at tackle allows Robinson to react to what’s happening on the field instead of overthinking plays.

“It’s still not perfect, but I’m not expecting that.” Robinson told the AP. “I really would say it’s slowed down a lot and I’m able to use my eyes better and just use my feet altogether, so there’s not much thinking.”

With an offense trying to buck recent low scoring trends, early success for the Rams’ young O-Line is essential. Robinson becoming a main cog in the unit will likely be vital to that success.