Greg Robinson: Rams' most irreplaceable player?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Greg Robinson: Rams' most irreplaceable player

By John Derosier

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Greg-Robinson-Rams-most-irreplaceable-player-37994334

Perhaps the biggest question mark for the St. Louis Rams entering the 2015 season is the offensive line. Last season, Greg Robinson was surrounded by the likes of Jake Long and Joe Barksdale and looked to the veterans to guide him through his rookie season. This year, Robinson will enter training camp as the second-most experienced lineman in the starting lineup. To say that he is in a unique position is an understatement.

Robinson, who was drafted number two overall in the 2014 NFL Draft, began his NFL career as a guard and didn’t start until the fifth week of the season. In week 8, however, veteran tackle Jake Long tore his ACL. The coaching staff decided to move Robinson back to his natural left tackle position, and they were not disappointed. After the season, the Rams released Long as part of their offensive line purge and now see Robinson as the long term solution at left tackle.

Left tackle is the most important position on the offensive line when a team has a right-handed quarterback. Robinson is now in charge of blocking Nick Foles’ blind side. Foles, who has broken his hand, suffered a concussion and broken his collarbone in the last three seasons, is used to having seven-time Pro Bowler Jason Peters blocking his blind side. Now, it is up to the young Robinson to fill those shoes.

With a plethora of new starters on offense, the coaches will look to Robinson as one of the seasoned veterans to guide the offense through a brutal five-game stretch to start the season. He is a great talent with a ton of potential, but is still raw. If he goes down, it will be up to the inconsistent Brandon Washington to fill in.

In short, the Rams simply can’t afford to lose Robinson anytime soon.

jjab360

Legend
With a plethora of new starters on offense, the coaches will look to Robinson as one of the seasoned veterans to guide the offense through a brutal five-game stretch to start the season. He is a great talent with a ton of potential, but is still raw. If he goes down, it will be up to the inconsistent Brandon Washington to fill in.

Not sure what depth chart this guy is looking at, but I seriously doubt that is the case. Next man up would probably be Saffold or Jamon Brown if they felt he was ready. I would say Havenstein but he seems pretty entrenched at RT.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Not sure what depth chart this guy is looking at, but I seriously doubt that is the case. Next man up would probably be Saffold or Jamon Brown if they felt he was ready. I would say Havenstein but he seems pretty entrenched at RT.

Granted it's just OTA's but it was in fact Washington playing LT when Robinson wasn't.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can see where the writer is coming from. The depth behind Robinson is problematic.

Sure, Saffold could move out... But that creates another opening inside and Saffold seems to take a greater beating out there.

So, yeah... Losing Robinson would rank right up there behind Foles, IMO.

jjab360

Legend
Granted it's just OTA's but it was in fact Washington playing LT when Robinson wasn't.
I'm aware of that but given his chances of even making the team and the versatility of most of our starters, I seriously doubt he would be the one they trust to back up that spot on Sundays.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I can see where the writer is coming from. The depth behind Robinson is problematic.

Sure, Saffold could move out... But that creates another opening inside and Saffold seems to take a greater beating out there.

So, yeah... Losing Robinson would rank right up there behind Foles, IMO.
I'm not sure what I'll do if we lose another QB for the season. I actually think I would cry.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm not sure what I'll do if we lose another QB for the season. I actually think I would cry.
I know how you feel, it would be like 1999 pre-season all over again!
But Life goes on and the games must be played! 1999 ended up pretty good, so if something bad happens just think of '99 and go on!!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Saffold is just as important to the line as GRob since he is the only other option at LT and he is also desperately needed at guard.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Washington wouldn't be the next up in any scenario. Unless that scenario is like 5 injuries. Greg goes down, Saffold kicks over and a guy like Jones, Brown, Reynolds, will take his spot. Depending on who starts at the other guard spot and center. Washington likely doesn't even make the team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

jjab360

Legend
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/STL

Washington LT2

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams

Washington starting RG

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/depth-chart/STL/st-louis-rams

Reynolds backup LT, Washington backup LG

Even the Rams website listed him(still does) starting at RT before the draft. Clearly Fisher thinks he's a tackle. It's funny though to say anybody on here knows that he has no chance of being a tackle for the Rams.
You do realize that none of those websites are official depth charts, right? How does any of that give us insight into what Fisher is thinking?

Washington is 6'2, listed as a guard, and played guard last preseason iirc. I'd be absolutely shocked if we see someone with his lack of experience and length at LT when it actually mattered next season.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
We can't afford for him to not develop and be a Jason Smith style bust thats for sure. That set us back 5 years as a franchise. Pretty sure he's going to continue to be a monster though. Gregzilla.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
"The coaching staff decided to move Robinson back to his natural left tackle position, and they were not disappointed."

The coaching staff saw enough to not be disappointed and to fully commit to having him as their left tackle of the future even if PFF has him lowly rated (Freak PFF). I also seems some fans may be down on him already but they should take heart because Robinson is a rate athlete and will be that franchise left tackle the Rams need. Robinson was never physically overmatched and he showed flashes of dominance amid his rookie inconsistencies.

Losing Robinson or Saffold would be a severe blow to this team losing both would be devastating. On the flip side if both stay healthy I believe they can help this line become a dominant force by seasons end if the youngster progress as we hope.

There are three players I think the Rams can least afford to lose and Robinson is number three on my list just because the Rams do have Saffold n the fold.

Number one on my list is Foles. we have seen how a talented team like the Rams can fall below 500 for two straight years having to play backup QBs for long stretches.

Number two is James Laurinaitis the QB of the defense. We have read the posts where fans opine that JL should be replaced but the question is by who. For this year a combination of Dunbar and Bates would probably be JL's replacement IMO, so lets hope it never comes to that.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Saffold is just as important to the line as GRob since he is the only other option at LT and he is also desperately needed at guard.

It would appear to me that by midway through the 2014 season Saffold was no longer just penciled in @ start LEFT OG but cemented there. Why?

Jake Long who had been the starter in 2013 & 2014 injury vacuumed up all the legit back up LEFT OT's when Robinson was inserted as starter @ OLT. Mike Person was just an "emergency plug in only" .....Saffold was the absolute best option by far.

Yes Saffold was needed @ OG in a bad way but since the conclusion of the 2014 season Snead has greatly reduced
the "desperately needed" 2014 season element.

We witnessed the Orgs no#1 back up to Saffold through out OTA's in newly signed veteran OL'er Garrett Reynolds. We also witnessed the drafting of 3 possible OG prospects in Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal & Cody Wichmann. Those new four additions to the OG posts will join last seasons hold overs in Barrett Jones, Brandon Washington & Demetrius Rhaney. You could also include UDFA David Wang in that mix too.

So I am counting 8 OG prospects which is rather large cadre in my opinion. This new large OG cadre will bring far less concern from all if Saffold is mandated to move a few feet left @ take up Robinson's post....so I say well done Snead.(y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Washington LT2

Washington starting RG

Reynolds backup LT, Washington backup LG

Even the Rams website listed him(still does) starting at RT before the draft. Clearly Fisher thinks he's a tackle. It's funny though to say anybody on here knows that he has no chance of being a tackle for the Rams.
Its very hard for a short in height under 6-3 & short in arm length 33 inches to play OT in the NFL. BW has been with Boudreau since the 2012 season. BW's best yr @ Miami was on the left side & it was @ OT. In 3 seasons as a Ram BW has played in one game & that was in 2013 & it was @ LEFT OG.

Washington likely doesn't even make the team.
Yes its going to be a big test for BW to make this team. But as we see he was our first team OLT throughout OTA's. BW & Barrett Jones will both feel much greater heat in 2015 TC than ever. They will either slay TC or will be scorched into ashes. There is no more easy times for these two. Both must produce! Washington has 7 other OL'ers who can do what he does. BW must do much better to be here in 2015.

BW is no longer in the dark shadows but now under the bright lights. BW has seen a ton of TC & PS action on the right side & it was not pretty. BW just plays better on that left side. Bottom line if BW is to make this master roster in 2015 he must secure the 2014 Mike Person left side game day back up role.:bueller:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I have a gameplan for our starters - don't get injured, you lose your place on the starting lineup when the guy behind you is better than you - so keep telling yourselves "must not get injured, must not get injured, must not get injured..."

nighttrain

Legend
Better they all play as hard as they can, when you worry about being injured is when it's most likely to happen.
train

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Greg Robinson: Rams' most irreplaceable player

By John Derosier

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Greg-Robinson-Rams-most-irreplaceable-player-37994334

Perhaps the biggest question mark for the St. Louis Rams entering the 2015 season is the offensive line. Last season, Greg Robinson was surrounded by the likes of Jake Long and Joe Barksdale and looked to the veterans to guide him through his rookie season. This year, Robinson will enter training camp as the second-most experienced lineman in the starting lineup. To say that he is in a unique position is an understatement.

Robinson, who was drafted number two overall in the 2014 NFL Draft, began his NFL career as a guard and didn’t start until the fifth week of the season. In week 8, however, veteran tackle Jake Long tore his ACL. The coaching staff decided to move Robinson back to his natural left tackle position, and they were not disappointed. After the season, the Rams released Long as part of their offensive line purge and now see Robinson as the long term solution at left tackle.

Left tackle is the most important position on the offensive line when a team has a right-handed quarterback. Robinson is now in charge of blocking Nick Foles’ blind side. Foles, who has broken his hand, suffered a concussion and broken his collarbone in the last three seasons, is used to having seven-time Pro Bowler Jason Peters blocking his blind side. Now, it is up to the young Robinson to fill those shoes.

Such insight!! Glad I stumbled across this great article!

A "seasoned vet"?... a "raw" one at that.

Funny.

Being serious... of course he's irreplaceable... everyone on that line will be... as some pointed out, we still have a rather serious depth issue along the line.