Greg Robinson on the bench to start the season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We don't want to start Robinson if he's not ready to pass block. We don't want to get Bradford hurt, oh wait. . . .

jjab360

Legend
Dam Auto Correct, I meant Donald from Pitt. Did we really need a dt?
I think we needed some more penetration from our interior pass rush. Both Brockers and Langford are power rushers, Donald brings another dimension to our defensive line.

iced

Pure speculation? Perhaps? But it's no more speculation than your belief that Sammy Watkins would have learned the Rams offense and be starting over veterans Quick and Britt this soon now is it? Pure speculation at best.

Lot more plausible to believe - 1. he's actually starting, 2. when he was drafted, the bills traded their veteran receiver stevie johnson right afterwards.

And you don't measure selections prior to the season starting and versus, again, guys in entirely different circumstances. Or at least one shouldn't as that's makes little sense. If the Rams would have drafted Clowney, would he have been starting? No. Would that have made him a lesser player? No.
Which is why i was refrencing players that i liked - watkins,matthews, and evans

i just don't believe in drafting projects high
BTW, who do you think would be starting at guard if the Rams didn't bring in Joseph and/or he was still struggling in his comeback attempt from that prior season's injury?
hard to say - i believe we would have drafted one, or taken martin at #13

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dam Auto Correct, I meant Donald from Pitt. Did we really need a dt?

This year? Not particularly. When would the Rams have a chance to draft such a good player again, if the rebuild actually works though? I'm a firm believer that good teams draft the BPA available, especially early, even if they don't need him right away. Especially if there is a realistic chance they'll need him soon. I like Langford - he's not a long term answer for the team.

Not that I'd have been traumatized if they'd taken Martin instead, given how they actually valued him. But Donald was way up on their draft board.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think we needed some more penetration from our interior pass rush. Both Brockers and Langford are power rushers, Donald brings another dimension to our defensive line.

I was typing Donaldson from Chiefs lol

iced

Robinson was drafted as a LT. The Rams have a LT for 2014, in Jake Long. Your premise is wrong.
no it's not.. Matthews was a LT as well but was going to play RT this year - only reason he is at LT is because Baker went down. Zack Martin is also starting...

signing a former pro bowl OG who looks to finally be healthy again .

if he were as good as you're making him sound, he would have signed somewhere much earlier for much more..i hope he's regained that form - but i saw nothing from his tape in the preseason that makes me believe that

Don't panic.

Not liking/being on a board with a pick is panicking? Lol k

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
no it's not.. Matthews was a LT as well but was going to play RT this year - only reason he is at LT is because Baker went down. Zack Martin is also starting...

if he were as good as you're making him sound, he would have signed somewhere much earlier for much more..i hope he's regained that form - but i saw nothing from his tape in the preseason that makes me believe that

Not liking/being on a board with a pick is panicking? Lol k

You're changing the goal. And of course, the Rams have both a LT and a RT returning from last season, so your claim that he is the only one not starting unless he had a vet already in his position is still false.

In terms of Joseph - there were serious issues of whether he was actually healthy. Hence his being available. The Rams took a flyer on him - as anybody paying attention should know - and in fact he IS healthy, and playing at a very high level.

In any case, the Rams drafted Robinson as a tackle, and moved him to guard for this season, while still playing him at LT in addition to him playing a new position. Since they made it clear from the beginning that he was going to have to learn new skills/positions I'm not sure why you are panicking (and yes, you are) that with very good players at these new positions the Rams may need to give him a little time to learn multiple positions and skills. It's not like he's behind crappy players, after all. However, he IS behind injury prone players, so he will get to play.

iced

You're changing the goal. And of course, the Rams have both a LT and a RT returning from last season, so your claim that he is the only one not starting unless he had a vet already in his position is still false.

Lol no i'm not.. Blake Bortles and Robinson are the only guys who aren't starting/won't be seeing the field barring injury, and that's because of Henne being ahead of him.

In any case, the Rams drafted Robinson as a tackle, and moved him to guard for this season, while still playing him at LT in addition to him playing a new position. Since they made it clear from the beginning that he was going to have to learn new skills/positions I'm not sure why you are panicking (and yes, you are) that with very good players at these new positions the Rams may need to give him a little time to learn multiple positions and skills. It's not like he's behind crappy players, after all. However, he IS behind injury prone players, so he will get to play.

Lol so if you disagree about the pick then you're panicking? Sounds logical

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Robinson looks to be the only one drafted in the top 10 that doesn't have a previous starter to compete with that will not start week 1.

Your comment. I then showed that it's just not true. The Rams have their entrenched starters at both LT and RT returning. You are trying to spin a falsehood.

And it's not that you're disagreeing with the pick that you're panicking - it's that you're making false claims that means you're panicking. It's that you can't understand that a former pro bowl guard who is finally healthy might be better prepared than a rookie who is playing multiple positions means you're panicking.

iced

Your comment. I then showed that it's just not true. The Rams have their entrenched starters at both LT and RT returning. You are trying to spin a falsehood.

And it's not that you're disagreeing with the pick that you're panicking - it's that you're making false claims that means you're panicking. It's that you can't understand that a former pro bowl guard who is finally healthy might be better prepared than a rookie who is playing multiple positions means you're panicking.

Lol you're really gonna play semantics over LT in college but LG in the pro's? seriously? there are plenty of players who are playing out of position but yet still playing...

Except I don't believe the "Former pro bowl guard" should be a starter and his best years are behind him. While I hope for success and a turn around, I am not holding my breath and haven't seen anything that suggests I should.

Looks like to me you're panicking to find excuses why we drafted the only non-qb player in the top 10 that won't be in the opening day line up.

You guys don't have to agree with me..I said this is one of the reasons why I didn't like the pick. This is the last i have to say on it - have the last word if you want

Everyone from 2008? Wouldn't that be one player?

Not sure who the last #2 overall pick not to start game one but IIRR it didn't use to be all that abnormal for any rookie to sit and learn.

Thanks for checking my grammar, I should have included the word onwards, it could easily be misinterpreted by someone trying to :bow:.

Who was the last team that wasn't selecting #2 overall based upon their team's record?

Washington, and RGIII started game 1.

dhaab

Rookie
Goodness, could the hype over Blake Bortles be any higher? And he's never even played a regular season game!

As for Robinson, who gives a damn about "starting"? He will get plenty of reps right away, whether he starts or not. Keep him hungry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who was the last number 2 overall pick not to start game 1? Everyone from 2008 did, but can't find game by game data dating back further.

Calvin "Megatron" Johnson

Roy Williams and Mike Furrey started the first game of the 2007 season.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
If there is one characteristic that is a constant for the Rams over the last ten years, it's that the team has suffered OLine injuries at an inordinate rate. A few years ago I honked for David DeCastro to be the next Tom Mack. He was available when we got Brockers and this admin obviously got it right and I got it wrong. Hindsight is 20/20 and history shows that:

1) this staff is capable of identifying talent and developing it
2) the odds are Long and/or Saffold will need a backup at some point this year
3) it's rare that any rookie, regardless of talent, dominates his position his inaugural year
4) good veterans suffer fewer mental lapses than inexperienced rookies
5) great teams play the best players regardless of draft position

Oh, allow me to make one last point not yet spoken on this thread. Let's beat the Vikings next week! The long offseason is finally over and our draft obsession, while necessary to survive the interminable months without games, should thankfully be replaced by the singular focus on what it will take to be 1-0 on the season. My hope that Greg Robinson has a similar impact as Steve Hutchison remains intact. But if salty pros like Long, Saffold, and Joseph are the best players--let's roll with them. I'm just ecstatic that if any of them go down, Brandon Washington won't be the "next man up".

Carry on my brothers

VARam

The #2 pick in the draft can't even start at guard?????? Wow. Just wow.

Going into the draft, I wondered why Snead and Fisher would pass on a rock-solid prospect like Matthews, with a perfect pedigree.

Further, in pre-season Donald did not flash like the beast-mode that was expected.

Then we have #2 pick Pead (bust), huge $$$ for Finnegan and Cook with neither producing much. Tre Mason not showing much and was not needed.

No decent QB prospect in the draft where Sam is brittle.

I really think that Snead is a poor judge of talent. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like the way the stars are lining up here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The #2 pick in the draft can't even start at guard?????? Wow. Just wow.

Going into the draft, I wondered why Snead and Fisher would pass on a rock-solid prospect like Matthews, with a perfect pedigree.

Further, in pre-season Donald did not flash like the beast-mode that was expected.

Then we have #2 pick Pead (bust), huge $$$ for Finnegan and Cook with neither producing much. Tre Mason not showing much and was not needed.

No decent QB prospect in the draft where Sam is brittle.

I really think that Snead is a poor judge of talent. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like the way the stars are lining up here.

simpson_end_near.jpg