Greg Robinson Headlines Offensive Line Class

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Robinson Headlines Offensive Line Class

By Jonathan Webb

http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and...ne-Class/a8b78ee4-eeee-4cf3-a792-959d329756b4

Auburn offensive tackle Greg Robinson is considered to have the highest upside of any offensive lineman in the 2014 NFL Draft.

As he has done ever since his stock began to rise during the latter portion of the 2013 college football season, former Auburn tackle Greg Robinson continues to establish himself as one of this year’s elite talents among draft prospects.

Following an impressive performance at the NFL Combine in February, many predict the 21-year-old Robinson could be the second overall pick to the Rams in May. Those prognostications have largely remained intact in recent weeks, with Robinson joined by South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney and Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins among the short list of premium options for the Rams at second overall.

In a recent mock draft of seven NFL.com panelists, Robinson was chosen by the Rams at second overall on three draft boards, matching the number of Teas A&M tackle Jake Matthews.

Robinson has certainly piqued the Rams’ interest, as he visited the team’ facility, along with Michigan tackle Taylor Lewan, in recent weeks. In relation to the other top tackle prospects this spring, Robinson is an outlier in that he served as a starter for just 25 games over two full seasons.

Matthews entered the Combine widely believed to be the premier tackle available, a notion that Robinson chalked up to his experience, or lack thereof.

“The guys they’ve had ahead of me, like Jake Matthews, he’s started since their freshman year,” Robinson said. “That’s something I feel like I need to prove, and it’s probably in peoples’ heads, that I’m not the top tackle just because I haven’t been there.”

Whatever gap Robinson was looking to bridge between himself and the rest of his draft class, it appears he achieved that objective in recent months. What he may lack in in-game experience, he has made up for both on film and in individual drills. In addition to serving as the left tackle for the nation’s top rushing offense, Robinson displayed a level of speed and quickness that belied his massive 6’5,” 320-pound frame. He ran his 40-yard dash in 4.88 seconds at the Combine, the second-fastest time of all offensive linemen. Robinson’s elite athleticism and skill set has made him an attractive draft option for a run-oriented team like the Rams, though he was quick to emphasize his growth in pass protection while meeting with media at the Combine.

“I excel at run-blocking, because I’ve worked on it a lot, but I feel I’m decent enough and can prove myself if anyone doubts I can pass-block,” Robinson said.

Should the Rams elect to choose Robinson or another tackle with one of their two first-round selections, it would be the fourth time the Rams have chosen a first-round tackle since moving to St. Louis in 1995, and the first since Jason Smith in 2009.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I just don't see it.

No knock on Robinson, but Rams could trade down and still get him.

Not just that, but no sane person chooses Robinson over Clowney.

If the Rams covet Robinson, I'd rather see Clowney at 2 and a trade up to grab him.